wired-up is offline Member

Critique my diet please.

So I've been following the diet stickies for about 5 months now. Pretty much been following a modified bulking diet. Here's some preliminary info:

Age, Bodyweight/fat
    26, Male, 181, 11% (1 month ago)

Training Experience
    Off and on since I was 14, but consistant (3 or more days/wk) for the last 2.5 years

Goals
    Gain mass and strength. Shooting to be at 195 @9%BF by spring.

Okay, here's what my diet looks like:

Meal 1: Pro/Carb
    8 Egg Whites, .25c of fat free cheddar, .5c oatmeal w/splenda & cinnamon
    57g protein / 27g carbs / 2.5g fat

Meal 2: Pro/Fat
    2 lean turkey burgers with 2 slices american cheese and sugar free ketsup
    52g protein / 0g carbs / 24g fat

Meal 3: Pro/Fat
    2 Cans of Tuna, 1tbs of flax, 1tbs LF mayo
    65g protein / 2g carbs / 18g Fat

Workout

Meal 4: PWO Nutrition
    2.5 Scoops Whey Protein / 75g of Dextrose
    50g protein / 80g carbs / 3g fat

Meal 5: PPWO
    chicken Breast, ½ cup Brown Rice (Measured Uncooked)
    50g protein / 70g carbs / 3g fat

Meal 6: Pro/Fat
    chicken breast, 2 Tbsp natty PB
    50g protein / 5g carbs / 16g fat

Meal 7: Before Bed
    2 Scoops of Whey Protein, 1 Tbsp. Flax Seed Oil
    44g protein / 3g carbs / 19g Fat

That turns into approximately 368 grams protein, 187 grams Carbs, and 85 grams of fat. This is roughly 3000 calories.

On this diet, I've gained about 18lbs in 5 months. I definitely feel like my muscles are bigger, but I feel as though I've gotten fatter too. I lift 3 days a week and I've started cardio this week doing 3 mornings a week. I wasn't doing cardio initially cause I thought it might hurt my weight gains. Guess that was kind of dumb. When I look in the mirror, I like the size that I've gained all over my body, except in my stomach. I definitely feel like my stomach's gotten bigger. Genetically, this is where I hold most of my fat. I've always had a larger, lean lower body with a smaller upper body. I wanted to give this diet a chance and see what happens. Overall, I like the results. I was wondering if some of the diet gurus here could look at it and see if anything jumps out at them that I'm doing wrong (besides the lack of cardio) that could possibly change my results. I've taken some pics along the way (no digital) to track my progress and I've definitely gotten bigger all over (very noticeable in my arms and chest) but my stomach has too and I don't like that. So any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by wired-up; 11-16-2004 at 11:12 PM.

can anyone help me out?

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    If your trying to gain the calories are good. But lets look at your protein intake. 368 grams at 181 lbs. Thats a little over 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. If your body can assimilate all of that then its ok, but if not then your wasting your money with all that protein plus your putting added calories in your body that you may not need. For most guys the first place you put on fat is the stomach, and thats usually the last place you loose it from. If you are doing cardio, exercise for fat loss only. Which means dont go above your target heart rate. Your carb level is ok, i would suggest uping your carb intake a little and lowering your protein intake a little.

thanks for the reply bro. how would i know if i'm not using all my protein? i usually do the elliptical for cardio. my gym has the ones with the heart rate monitors in the handles and you can do the fat burn mode that will set you at 65% THR. I just get on there and go for an hour. what effects would lowering my protein and raising my carbs have? i thought higher carbs tended to lead to more fat storage. according to the cutting sticky, you take in less carbs while cutting. i thought this might help me burn more fat, but keep building muscle since my protein was so high. the bulking sticky has almost 2g's/lb for protein also. that's what i based my diet on. also, the above is a guideline and I do vary from that some as far as what I eat, but the macros stay pretty much the same.

i might drop one of my meals and redistribute some of my macros. so I'll be around 320P, 200C, 85F. just been doing some more reading and found "that too much protein leads to gluconeogenesis which is worse than not eating enough protein actually, as it turns to sugar, and you are most likely burning lean muscle tissue for fuel." it's a quote from SC and I'm going to do some more research on it to find out what the levels and limits might be.

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    Do you have bowl movements often? The sticky about protein intake says about 2 grams per lb. , but that is just a guideline. If you're on aas it would probably be ok, but if not i would suggested getting your BF% checked, keep with the diet for 3 or 4 weeks and see if you've gained any fat.

twice a day on average. so if i was on AAS, i'd use up more protein? i'm not now, but i'd like to try sometime in the future. i had my BF checked at the end of last month and it was at 11%. i'll probably give it till the first or second week of december and get it checked again. thanks again for your help bro.

anyone else?

Thread Information