Thread: In over my head

Angela is offline Female Member

In over my head

I really could use some help. A co-worker has asked for my help in designing a diet plan for her fiance. Before I had even realized what I had agreed to I was already in over my head. She and her husband are so excited that there is no way of getting out of it now. So I have come here for help. His stats are 35 years old 5'10, 230 pounds and is hoping to loose around 30-35lbs. He is going to start a cardio/training program but needs help with the diet. I have been researching all the diet questions posted and the cutting sticky but what is making it kind of hard is the fact that they don't want a 'diet' but a lifestyle change and majority of the sample meals plans are for serious cutting.

I know I'm going out on a limb here but I just don't want to miss anything.

Boost n Juice is offline Associate Member
    That "lifestyle change" is BS marketing IMO. When you force yourself to not eat or eat certain food, it's a diet not a lifestyle change.

Anywho...How fast does he want to lose it? I know several people who have had success with with south beach and the atkins...I feel the atkins is very unhealthy, but if all this guys cares about is losing weight then go for it...

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    I would keep it simple. Go for a reduced calorie diet and cardio. Most of the reduction in calories should be aimed at fats, only b/c they are higher in calories per gram. Eat tons of veggies to keep the stomach feeling full. Drink tons of water to also help keep the stomach full. And several meals per day is a must. Hope this helps. Sorry to be short I've got to run.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Have him do some research! If it's his body and he respects it, he'll want to take initiative and do that.

How/why did they ask you if you aren't comfortable/able to give assistance????

~SC~

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    If you put him on too strick of a diet, there is more chance of him cheating on it. first i would ask him what kinds of foods he enjoys. If the diet, and it is a diet not a lifestyle change until he makes it one, consists of foods he enjoys eating, then it would be easier to stay on it. You made a committment to help him, but he must understand what foods he cant have and why. Thats where the research comes in, for you and him. If he understands this then i think it would help motivate him to stay on. Some of us here could give you an example diet but it want be a diet catered for him just based on his stats

Angela is offline Female Member
    I know that he dosen't intend on losing fast, they are getting married next September and have set that as their goal. He wants to loose it and keep it off so he knows that it will be a slow but progressive transformation. For the very reason of the possibilty of not sticking to the diet is why I suggested that they think of it as a lifestyle change as opposed to a 'diet' and that they need to make good food choices during the week and choose one day a week that they have something that isn't as 'good'. I have asked him to start a daily journal recording time and exactly what he is eating so I can get a better understanding of where he is at, I have done this because I don't want to put him on too strict a diet to begin.

~SC~ - The reason that she asked me to help is because a couple of months ago I began competing and of course along with came the diet. I have learnt a lot about dieting for competition but for me to put something together that isn't focused around cutting is a little difficult because I am so strict with what I eat, and she has alrady made it clear that they don't want something quite so strict. I didn't let her know that I wasn't 100% comfortable basically because I don't want to let her down. They are trying to avoid seeing a personal trainer that is going to want to get together with them every couple of weeks to go over progress and having to put out the money.

Thread Information