9000rpm is offline Member

Am I allergic to lactose?

Here's my situation.

I used to use whey protein for my protein shakes. But about 1 to 2 minutes afterwards, it would feel like I had swallowed a bowling ball and then someone was stabbing a knife into my lower chest. (similar to a hietal hernia) The pain is so bad that I have to lay on the ground on my back and alter my breathing. The pain is horrendous, you have no idea.

But here's the wrench in the gear, I am fine with milk, cheese, icecream, and any other dairy product. No problems at all.

Is it that the whey protein has a huge dose of lactose, and that is what is killing me?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    nope, i am also lactose intolerant but i can drink whey. the problem is in your whey maybe, get one that is lactose free. i use optimum, it is somach friendly for guys like us.

I didn't know there was a lactose free whey protein. Optimum you said? I'll have to look for that.

Thanks

simplecanibus is offline Associate Member
    can't be the whey because i'm not sure you can be allergic to it. if you're lactose intolerant it just means your body doesn't produce lactase to break down the lactose, which results in a tummy ache and major poo poo. haha, try a different whey or see a doc cause they totally doesn't sound good bro

Quote Originally Posted by simplecanibus
    can't be the whey because i'm not sure you can be allergic to it. if you're lactose intolerant it just means your body doesn't produce lactase to break down the lactose, which results in a tummy ache and major poo poo. haha, try a different whey or see a doc cause they totally doesn't sound good bro
    I must not be lactose intollerant then, because I don't have a "big poo" afterwards.

I have tried 5 different brand whey protiens, and all of them have done that to me. I even drank a post workout drink from 24hour Fitness, and didn't realize it had whey protein in it, and it tied me up in knots. It looked and tasted like gatoraide. But then I checked the label, and it had about 15grams of whey protein in it.

I must be one of those small percentage of the population that actually has one of those bad adverse side effects.

all i can say it your body is trying to tell you something by giving you those feelings. so i'd see a doc if you've tried 5 brands of protein powder, or maybe just forget about it altogether.

Well, I use soy protein now. It gives me no problems at all. That is why I think it is the whey. But I'd like to use whey because it has great advantages that soy doesn't have. I'll definetely ask my doc the next time I'm there.

soy is known to be toxic if not fermented also, so i'd watch out. studies show it shrinks the male brain and promotes estrogen. i don't think any man wants any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by simplecanibus
    soy is known to be toxic if not fermented also, so i'd watch out. studies show it shrinks the male brain and promotes estrogen. i don't think any man wants any of that.
    I've heard that before, but I've never actually read any reports of it anywhere. I've also heard that it is just a rumor too.

guildwars05 is offline Associate Member
    Same exact thing happens to me..I have yet to find out what the issue is. Back in the day I could ingest whey protein..and now i cant..its been 3 years with this problem. Listen to this...though, I drink (american bodybuilding or whatever) mass recovery drinks (they have whey protein in them) no allergic reaction.

BUT if i have Optimum Nutrition Whey 100% I do the same thing..fall to the ground and my throat swells up and my eyes water.

I would like to find out what the problem is..doctors are clueless it seems..even the allergy docs.

i am not lactose intolerate

guildwars05 is offline Associate Member
    im reading the labels comparing..And the only difference between product A (allergy problem) and Product B (no allergy) is the fact that product A has Whey Protein Concentrate, and Product B has Whey protein Isolate.

Ive researched and found that Isolate is better and more $ (of course) But it seems there is a very low 0.5% lactose culprit. Now as far as Whey concentrates lactose ..I have no idea. Whats really weird is I can have milk without feelings like I have to #$#$%# my pants. hmm And no stomach aches. I dont know..I wonder if I stick with a 100% isolate product, it might help..How about Isopure? Whats yours thoughts? Anyone experience any thing like this before?

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    isolate is known to be a preference for people sensitive to whey. isopure is $26 a tub @ www.betterbodz.com

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    awww lil bitty 9000 has tummy issuse. SUCK IT UP ><
    go w/ isolate

i wonder if it cleared up since this is from 2004???

i wonder if it cleared up since this is from 2004???

Thread Information