HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

weight and your metabolism

ok my girlfriend is arguing with about this topic she is saying that when you put on alot of weight (mostly muscle) in a short period of time whether and from eating bad you slow your metabolism down! does anyone know for certain what the answwer is so i can show her this!!!

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    When one increases their lean body mass, they have an increase in their resting metabolic rate. Muscle is an active tissue which requires energy in the form of kcals to sustain it.

Militia is offline Banned
    scientificaly adding muscle will make your body need more energie and burn more calorie so metabolism will increase with the muscle mass , but from my experience i was very skinny at the age of 19 i use to eat everything and anything and dont gain an ounce of fat i use to eat everyday chips and popcorn befor sleeping but now i am 23 and after i added good amount of muscles if i east little bit unclean i gain fat i dont know the reason maybe the human body is so sofisticated

Quote Originally Posted by Militia
    scientificaly adding muscle will make your body need more energie and burn more calorie so metabolism will increase with the muscle mass , but from my experience i was very skinny at the age of 19 i use to eat everything and anything and dont gain an ounce of fat i use to eat everyday chips and popcorn befor sleeping but now i am 23 and after i added good amount of muscles if i east little bit unclean i gain fat i dont know the reason maybe the human body is so sofisticated
    ive noticed the thing! maybe its because we're actually eating so much more now like 6-7 times a day taht when when do eat like crap it's pushing or body over the edge and just cant keep up with all the calories! i know that when i was extremely skinny i could eat anything too but i was only eating like 3 times a day! now im eating more than twice that a day! i dunno though just my .02

beet is offline New Member
    Muscles arent the only thing in your body that dictates your metabolism levels. As you progress in age from adolescence to adulthood, your metabolism slows down. I'm not well versed in physiology, so I cant comment on what the underlying factors are that causes this decline; I am sure however, that although your muscles influence your metabolism, it isnt the only factor involved.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    when you put on alot of weight (mostly muscle) in a short period of time whether and from eating bad you slow your metabolism down!!
    I have no idea what your offering is supposed to mean as that sentence makes no sense at all.

~SC~

sorry about that! it was late and that's what happens when i get tired!
    ok my girlfriend is arguing with me about this topic, she is saying that when you put on alot of weight (mostly muscle) in a short period of time whether or not it's from eating bad or good quality food you slow your metabolism down! does anyone know for certain what the answwer is so i can show her this!!!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    If it's quality lean muscle mass, your metabolism IMPROVES.

Muscle burns fat/kcals, the more of it you have, the higher your metabolism.

Tell her that's basic science, because it is.

~SC~

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    sorry about that! it was late and that's what happens when i get tired!
    ok my girlfriend is arguing with me about this topic, she is saying that when you put on alot of weight (mostly muscle) in a short period of time whether or not it's from eating bad or good quality food you slow your metabolism down! does anyone know for certain what the answwer is so i can show her this!!!
    It must have been late when you where reading this thread, as all the above posts directly answers your question with an increase in metabolism!

Thread Information