SpinalTap is offline Junior Member

Natural Peanut Butter

Isn't the point of having natural peanut butter to avoid hydrogenated oils? And isnt the point of avoiding the oils so that you can avoid trans fat?

So I have 2 questions...I looked at a container of JIF and some Adams natural PB, and they both say they have 2% or less of partially hyrogenated oils, but then GIF also has some fully hydrogenated ones. Shouldnt the adams have no hydrogenated oils at all?

And they both have 0 trans fat, so I dont really see much difference between adams and JIF, other then adams has slightlly more calories, salt, one more gram of fat, and one gram less of protein.
    Last edited by SpinalTap; 11-30-2004 at 01:20 AM.

niXon)( is offline Member
    u take it because of the good fats, and its an easy way to up the calories on a bulking diet. also, i might be wrong because i've never even seen "natty pb" but the diff is probably the carbs.

both have 7 grams of carbs so i dont think so. i know a lot of people here eat natty peanut butter so it seems like they would have a reason WHY...

justin984 is offline Junior Member
    [Removed]
    Last edited by justin984; 06-16-2011 at 10:36 PM.

they both have 0 trans fat (i said that in the first post), and natty peanut butter is only one less gram of sugar....from 3 grams to 2 grams.

but in the ingredients of the adams "natural" peanut butter it still sais it has 2% or less of partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (rapeseed and cottonseed).

9000rpm is offline Member
    Smuckers Natural is the only PB that is 100% hydrogenated oil free that I know of. It's ****n good too.

Here is my stance on hydrogenated oils. THEY ARE POISON!!! I am serious about this. I try to stay as far away from that crap as possible. It is virtually impossible to completely avoid it, but I try to keep my intake of hyd. oils to a bare minimum.

I have done lots of research on this stuff also. The stuff is just toxic poison that slowly makes America fat and diabetic. There was a study done on it I think by the FDA, maybe not them, but it is the first food product that they had ever stated that they wouldn't recommend injesting any of it at all. Most other bad stuff they would say that your diet shoud consist of only a certain %. But hyd. oils, they said were bad at any level simply because they weren't sure how bad it was in the long run.

Here is another reason to avoid it.

Hydrogenated oil was invented in the WW2 era I believe. It was made to make the supplies of cooking oils go farther and it was a much cheaper alternative to animal lard. Well, now it is more than 50 years later, and the majority of this country is suddenly facing an obesity epidemic because of the fast foods that are prepared with this oil. I challenge anyone to name one fast food that doesn't have it in it besides the actual burger itself. All ready made food items in the frozen sections of grocery stores have it in them. It's everywhere.

I look at every label when I shop. If hydrogenated or partially-hydrogenated oil is in the first half of the ingretients list, I won't buy it because it's full of the $hit. Try to stick with the natural stuff like real butter or Smart Balance, olive oil, etc. Yes it has more fat in them, but if you excercise regularly, it's not a worry at all.

The chemical structure of the fat is changed when the hydrogen is bubbled through the oil. I have also read that the chemical structure of hyd. oil is VERY similar to plastic. I've also read that your body can't do anything with it since it's chemically altered. It just sits there in your cells taking up space and possibly causing cancer.

Are you hungry for some plastic?
    Last edited by 9000rpm; 11-30-2004 at 11:03 PM.

so if its not in the first half its ok?

both the normal and the adams natural have 2% or less of hydrogenated oils listed at the bottom. but i still dont get why they call it natural when theres still patially hydrogenated oil in it

Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap
    so if its not in the first half its ok?
    Ingredients on labels are listed in order of their abundance in that product.

Lets say you have two different brands of the same product and both have 20 ingretients. In product "A", hyd oil is listed 5 spots down from the front. Product "B" has hyd oil listed as the 2nd to last ingredient. Product "A" has a crap load more hyd. oil in it than product "B".

It's almost impossible to completely get rid of hyd. oils. But I just try to make a conscious effort to look at each lable that I buy.

Oh yeah, and things that are fried in hydrogenated oils are the absolute worst. Almost all fast food chains use hydrogenated oils to do their deep frying. I think Chik Filet uses peanut oil, I'm not sure though.

Try to buy products that are "natural" or have the word natural i them. Like the Lays Natural chips. And Smart Balance even makes the "crisco" stuff. I make my wife use it to bake with instead of actual "Crisco". The things with the most hydrogenated oils in them are peanut butter, pre-made cake frosting, cooking oil or grease (crisco), and margarine(fake butter). Steer clear of that stuff.

The peanut butter sais its adams natural peanut butter, yet it still has 2% of partially hydrogenated oils. I think they are lying and I have to gete the kind that you stir. Do you stir the Smuckers kind?

Yeah, you have to stir the Smuckers Natural PB. But you only have to stir it one time and it stays mixed after that because you are supposed to refrigerate it. The reason you don't have to refrigerate other PB's is because they are made from hydrogenated oils, and those oils have an unlimited shelf life,.....you know,...kinda like any other plastic product.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    yeah but who likes cold peanut butter anyways. i keep my smucker's natty in the pantry

I kinda like it cold. But even if you keep it out, you will only have to stir it if you go a week or so without using it. You can't beat the way it tastes though.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    yeah i use it every morning, so it's not like it sits around for more than 24 hours. plus i give a quick stir before i pull it out of the jar.

Thread Information