eggplant is offline Member

too much fat causes cancer?

guys..i've read an article saying that too much poly/mono fats in ones diet tends to cause cancer ..although its EFA's..there's bound to be an effect on ones body..and i was thinking..since MOST of us on this board base their diet on the sicky atop..including me..the fat intake on non-workout days are bound to be higher..i would guess more than 30% of total intake...would it be risky at all really?

peace..egg..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I have no idea. One day this is unhealthy, the next day this is, etc. Remember how eggs were shunned at one point, now they are "just fine" to use, etc.

The FDA is nothing but a bunch of multiple personalities who don't know jack sh*t.

Eventually, EVERYTHING on earth at some point in time will have been labeled "bad for you", only to soon have that statement revoked for no real reason.

Sure as hell ain't gonna make me change anything.

~SC~

cb25 is offline Banned
    i'd be curious to read the actual article and/or research behind it. High fat diets (especially those high in sat and trans fats) have been proven unhealthy -- but moderate fat diets containing mono/polyunsaturates have been proven to improve health (lipid profiles, cholesterol, etc) --

hey bro..i'll go look for that article again..and try to post it..tnx!

guys..this is what i found...the whole article is really long..but this is what made me think twice on high fat diets..although it really made a difference to me in my physique..

here it goes..

Polyunsaturated fatty acids can be a health hazard because carbon-carbon double bonds can lead to free-radical formation and reactions with oxygen to form unstable lipid peroxide compounds containing the same unstable oxygen-oxygen bond found in hydrogen peroxide. Lipid peroxidation and free radicals can cause cancer and may accelerate aging. High rates of lung cancer among women in China have been associated with lipid peroxidized oils in fumes from cooking polyunsaturated vegetable oils in a wok [*12]. Hot oil in open air is subject to much lipid peroxidation. Fast-food restaurants that fry foods in the same oil all day serve lots of lipid peroxides to their customers.

Polyunsaturated "cis" fatty acids can be beneficial in cell membranes by preventing the tight packing of fatty acids in membranes -- thereby making the membranes more "fluid". Membrane fluidity is important for optimal function of most cells in the body. But membrane fluidity is especially important on portions of cells that act as receptors for hormones or neurotransmitters. The typical North American eats three times as much saturated fat as unsaturated fat, yet animal experiments show that insulin receptor responsiveness is substantially improved when dietary unsaturated fat is greater than saturated fat [*13]. With aging, however, cell membrane fluidity declines in part because of increasing amount of cholesterol in the membranes, but more importantly because of free-radical oxidation [*14]. Antioxidants that protect cell membranes, like Vitamin E, are extremely valuable in opposing membrane oxidation.

Fatty acid double-bonds come in two configurations known as cis (carbon chains on the same side of a double-bond) and trans (carbon chains on the opposite side of a double-bond). Most of the double-bonds made by biological systems have the cis configuration. It is the cis configuration of unsaturated fatty acids that prevents tight packing of fatty acids in membranes, and hence increases membrane fluidity.

Saturated fats (like butter or lard) and fatty acids with trans double-bonds (like margarine) tend to be solids at room temperature, whereas natural fatty acids with cis double-bonds (like vegetable oils) tend to be liquids. By artificially hydrogenating vegetable oils, the food processing industry reduces the number of double bonds and causes the formation of trans fatty acids. Hydrogenation results in margarines that are more solid and results in peanut butter that does not have an oil that separates. But when trans fatty acids are incorporated into cell membranes, the membrane fluidity is reduced and the cells do not function as well. Not all trans fatty acids in the diet are due to food processing. For example, natural butter is 5% trans fat.

tycin is offline Anabolic Member
    bro everything causes cancer! everyweek they say something else causes it.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Ain't gonna get me to change a thing.

~SC~

cb25 is offline Banned
    They're basically saying that trans-fatty acids - the ones created by hydrogenating polyunsaturated oils -- can cause cancer. Not that polyunsaturated oils themselves cause cancer. While this is a relatively recent piece of news...it's not shocking, at least to me.

Regular consumption of normal polyunsaturates and monounsaturates is still very healthy. Very.

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    There has to be money involved here. Like when eggs were bad for you, probably nobody was buying eggs and the farmers were pissed. So then they came out and said okay eggs are good so the farmers would get their money and shut up.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eggplant
    guys..i've read an article saying that too much poly/mono fats in ones diet tends to cause cancer ..although its EFA's..there's bound to be an effect on ones body..and i was thinking..since MOST of us on this board base their diet on the sicky atop..including me..the fat intake on non-workout days are bound to be higher..i would guess more than 30% of total intake...would it be risky at all really?

peace..egg..
    They also used to say that fat causes people to gaine weight. That is until people began to take Atkins seriously. I am in Swolecat's camp with respect to the thought that they peobably don't really know.

When they conducted the research saying that fat made people gain weight they were measuring when people were on high (relatively) high carb diets. As it tuned out fat really isn't so bad in terms of gaining weight, when on a low carb diet.

With respect to fat intake and cancer, I would be curious to know the composition of the other elements of the diets among the people tested. How "controlled" was the research really?

BTW, Eggplant, I am glad to see that you are still around and still going strong. Shouldn't you be graduating one of these days?
    Last edited by beenie; 12-10-2004 at 06:13 AM.

hey bros..tnx for all ya views..i'm gona stick to what i've been doin ..ttnx..

*beanie*
    i've been really busy with school recently..and haven't have the time to browse the boards. and i'm really glad that u remembered me..=)

Thread Information