mitch911 is offline Member

frying in olive oil or canola oil

Im just finding this out for my dad. He has hereditary bad colesterol..but he likes his fried food. He was wondering if frying things in olive oil would make them alright to eat seeing how olive oil is a good fat.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Cooking the olive oil messes with the value of EFA in the oil..i am sure someone can jump in here and go into a bit more detail...

Fried foods are terrible and only in a cheat meal should you think about ingesting that crap.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Chances are also that you are frying some kind of carb (potato) or something with a breading, thus defeating the purpose of healthy oils.

~SC~

Yea i understand all of this..but looking at it from a non bodybuilder view.. for the average person..would frying foods in olive oil be much better then say vegetable oil? Its regarding my dad not myself

simplecanibus is offline Associate Member
    frying either of those oils will turn them both into transfats. i wouldn't touch canola in the first place, but olive oil is the best thing you can get, and when you fry it you're doing more harm than you could possibly know, while most people think it's as healthy as can be.

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Chances are also that you are frying some kind of carb (potato) or something with a breading, thus defeating the purpose of healthy oils.

~SC~
    Sorry SC,
    that is the sickest pic I have seen of you to date! Wow bro.. sorry that was off topic on this thread, but my god!

atlgadoll is offline Junior Member
    If he wants to fry tell him to use grape seed oil. The taste is good and it doesnt break down as easily at high temperatures....
    http://grapeseedoilcorp.com/cooking.html

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg50
    Sorry SC,
    that is the sickest pic I have seen of you to date! Wow bro.. sorry that was off topic on this thread, but my god!
    , thanks bro. I've about 30 people who have commented on that pic since it went up yesterday morning.

Looks like I need to bring out more pics, I've an archive full!

~SC~

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    The worst offender in fried foods is trans fats...which are used for frying in restaurants and other commercial food production facilities. Frying foods at home with any type of liquid oil is going to be better than eating fried foods out or buying them in a store. However, frying adds lots of calories and little nutritional value to foods, so fried foods should be limited no matter how they are made.

thanks for the info, i will be sure to relay it to my dad... And yes Swole you are one scary monster. just wondering..do u juice? Awesome pic man!

Boost n Juice is offline Associate Member
    I did a lot of research on frying and I appoligize in advance for not posting a source...

There's nothing good to come from frying...

The hotter the oil, the less oil (fat/calories) your food will absorb, however, the high temps will breakdown the efas and increase the trans fat content...

The lower the oil, does the opposite...Absorbs more oil (fat/calories) but the efas remain and the trans fat content isn't as bad...

Either way, it's really bad...

Thread Information