clchase is offline Female Member

Girl who needs a bit of diet advice, please?

Ok, I am actually a grown woman, but I thought it might get some's attention!
    I have currently been on a "diet" for ~8 weeks. My goals are to lose a bit of BF while gaining some LM, I guess those are everyone's goals here, huh?! LOL! I have been working very hard and have seen a scale change of 7-8 pounds since my start. (I have pictures of starting point and can post if you think neccesary) When I posted and asked for opinions on BF percentage, I got back replies of 19-20%, and that is what I was guessing, too.

My question is simply this....I am looking for my next step as far as diet goes. So, I am hoping that posting my weekly diet will get me some help. Also, I weight train fairly heavily and get as much cardio in as possible. Was running lots, but found out this week i have a herniated disc L5 so doc has asked me to stop the high impact stuff for the next few weeks. Can do ellipticals, etc and have switched over to those. ( I hate them, so boring! LOL)
    Any questions I will happily answer in the quest for further knowledge!

And yes, I eat the same every day with a few exceptions, I am lucky to be a creature of habit, so to speak.

Meal 1:
    protein shake mixed with water and coffee
    1/4cup (dry) quaker oats with splenda

Meal 2:
    4 egg white, 1 whole egg
    1/2 apple
    1/4 bag rice cakes (small)

Meal 3:
    chicken breast (1 split breast)
    Salad with no fat dressing (60 cal/serving)
    1/4 bag rice cakes (small)

Meal 4:
    ground turkey (~1/3 pound)
    raw carrots or similar veg.

Meal 5:
    steak, turkey or chicken (~8-10 ounces)
    Steamed mixed veggies or snap peas, etc.

Thats about all. I have a full cheat day on Saturday, and the rest of the week is pretty darn consistent. I am certain that lots of you guys have greta advicce and am looking for whatever I can improve on. No supplements beyond daily multivitamin.

Stats:
    height- 5'8"
    weight- 146
    BF- ? guessing 19%?
    age- 33
    And remember!! I am a girl! LOL!
    thanks in advance
    CLC

Boost n Juice is offline Associate Member
    Check at the cutting sticky on top of the diet forum...

Best way to burn fat is to do stay within specific heart rate zone for 45-60mins, 5-7 days week, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This must be accompanied by the correct diet. All the details are in the sticky, read it and repost your diet and cardio

Quote Originally Posted by Boost n Juice
    Check at the cutting sticky on top of the diet forum...

Best way to burn fat is to do stay within specific heart rate zone for 45-60mins, 5-7 days week, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This must be accompanied by the correct diet. All the details are in the sticky, read it and repost your diet and cardio
    Thanks for replying. I cannot do cardio first thing in the morning. I have a 9 year old daughter and have to be in wokr at 7am, I absloutley cann't get her up any earlier than I already do.

I have been doing 2-3 3.5 mile runs 2-3 times per week, 1 hour of HIIT class once weekly, 1 hour carido kickbox once weekly and an hour of spin once weekly. I have now been doing 45-55 min sessions on the ellipticals, crosstrainers etc, ~4-5 times per week. Try to do before weights if I can.

I am not sure what youa re asking me to repost. I have read all the stickies and was looking for some further advice. Maybe I shoudl re-read and go there.
    Again, thnaks for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by clchase
    I am not sure what youa re asking me to repost. I have read all the stickies and was looking for some further advice. Maybe I shoudl re-read and go there.
    Again, thnaks for replying.
    Most of your meals contain fat and carbs...That's a no no...

You should only have two types of meals:

Protein with fat (no carbs) meal
    protein with carb meal (no fat)...

Also Apples, carrots, rice cakes all are no-no's...

Like you said, go re-read it and see what you can come up with...

Most of your meals contain fat and carbs...That's a no no...

You should only have two types of meals:

Protein with fat (no carbs) meal
    protein with carb meal (no fat)...

Also Apples, carrots, rice cakes all are no-no's...

Like you said, go re-read it and see what you can come up with...

Will recheck it, but in the meantime, do you have suggestions as to what to switch these things to, some good suggestions, as far as actual things to eat instead, would be very helpful to me. I am goign to re-read now, also.

So, that basically tells me only veggies with proteins and carbs are coming strictly from those veggies?

Apples and rice cakes contian no fats, unless I am unaware of them. Are there others thatI am missing? I am not flaming here, simply asking to know.

No more advice??

I was on vacation...

You need to do cardio...Buy a $100 threadmill or exercise bike from Walmart...

Apples and most other fruits contain sugars...Which are also no-nos...

Only carbs you should be eating are brown rice and oatmeal...

Only fats you should be eating are almonds, natty peanut butter, flax seed oil...

There's other stuf you can have, but the bulk of it...

I was on vacation...

You need to do cardio...Buy a $100 threadmill or exercise bike from Walmart...

Apples and most other fruits contain sugars...Which are also no-nos...

Only carbs you should be eating are brown rice and oatmeal...

Only fats you should be eating are almonds, natty peanut butter, flax seed oil...

There's other stuf you can have, but the bulk of it...

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. I have cut out the rice cakes and am having oatmeal again at meal 2 instead of the apple. I am also going to pick up some fish oil caps to have with the meals that have no carbs or fats, I think that may help.

Also, I do do cardio, and actually quite a bit of it, I just can;t do it in am. I know that it is best, but I really can;t get up any earlier thanI do now which is 5 am, (remember, I go to bed between 10:30 and 11 on good night and sometimes later! this leaves not alot of sleep, and I fear that if I get up earlier, it will not be good all around. I can;t go to bed earlier due to home life..9 year old daughter who has sports until 8 pm, than we have dinner and homework, etc, her bed is at 9:30 and as soon as I get showered and rady fior bed, it is at least 10:30! Almost impossible! LOl! So, while I know its best to do am cardio,m I think that while there are "ideal" situations, I cannot quite fit into all thise guidelines! Keeping that in mind, are there other cardio suggestions that may be useful to me?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help, and am grateful for your understanding and kindness...

Thanks again, and comments/suggestions are always appreciated.
    PS I wonder why no one else has chimed in, it seems that reading these diet threads, more responses are typical, is it because I am a woman and advice is different than for men?

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    First off, the rice cakes are because they have an extremely high glycemic index (you would be better off eating a snickers bar than a rice cake). Apples and carrots will differ from person to person, i would say the apple is fine, but would cut out the carrots. You also need more veggies ie. brockoli, choliflower, zucchini, aspargus stuff liek that. Next, your calories seem a bit high. You might want to consider dropping them down to the 13-1500 range which will help get you more results with bf reduction. Also I would try to include veggies in almost all your meals. A lot of things like different fruits and oats will defer depending on the person. Best bet is to see a qualified nutritionist to figure out different food allergies and imbalances you may have. Good luck.

-SHRED

Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    First off, the rice cakes are because they have an extremely high glycemic index (you would be better off eating a snickers bar than a rice cake). Apples and carrots will differ from person to person, i would say the apple is fine, but would cut out the carrots. You also need more veggies ie. brockoli, choliflower, zucchini, aspargus stuff liek that. Next, your calories seem a bit high. You might want to consider dropping them down to the 13-1500 range which will help get you more results with bf reduction. Also I would try to include veggies in almost all your meals. A lot of things like different fruits and oats will defer depending on the person. Best bet is to see a qualified nutritionist to figure out different food allergies and imbalances you may have. Good luck.

-SHRED
    Thank you! I actaully have cut out the rice cakes and have added oatmeal at meal 2 instead of apple. Cutting out the rice cakes drops my calories by almost 300 per day and I also cut out the carrots after(knowingly, just trying to ignore it! LOL) realizing the sugar content, etc. I do get a good amount of veggies at both meal 3 and meal 6, btu I am addding here and there where I can without trying to add too many calories, per se.Am not ssure I can afford a nutritionist at this time, (single mom who owns her own home, car, likes to play, etc! LOL!) but if I see no more weight loss over next couple months I may consider it. Right now, I am still slowly losing, and gaining lean muscle a tthe same time, so I will wait on that. I know you guys have lots of helpful advice, adn I am one who likes to know everything I can, so I thought you all could be a great source of help....and you have, thankyouagain!

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Might want to do a cheat meal instead of a cheat day...
    What time of day do you workout and what do you use for post workout nutrition... or meal #

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999
    Might want to do a cheat meal instead of a cheat day...
    What time of day do you workout and what do you use for post workout nutrition... or meal #
    I think that I really "need" the cheat day, both mantally and metabolically for now. I know that is an option if I come to a stalling point in loss.

I workout, generally, around 6pm or so, with cardio preceding weights if possible, but occasionally I have to get it in after weight training... , but that I cann;t help because of scheduling. Post workout is generally my #6 meal, whch can sometimes be up to 1-2 hours post wiorkout...bad, huh???

Yep.

The pwo (post work-out) nutrition is VERY important... might want to get a pwo shake in there... whey protien and dextrose mix.

I will that, but that then means I have protein drink, then dinner (meal 6) about an hour or so later....is this bad??

Actually good... just eat a little less...

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999
    Actually good... just eat a little less...
    I don;t know a whole lot about PWO dextrose/protein stuff....any advice?

champion pure whey protein. very good protein quality..160 calories for 2 scoops and 3g carbs.

champion pure whey protein. very good protein quality..160 calories for 2 scoops and 3g carbs.
    Sooo...just protein powder that is low in carbs/fat? I am using Ultimate Nutrition Prostar Whey....2g carb, 1.5 g fat, 23g protein per scoop. Or also haev Syntrax Nectar, 0carb, 0 fat, 23 g protein per scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by clchase
    Sooo...just protein powder that is low in carbs/fat? I am using Ultimate Nutrition Prostar Whey....2g carb, 1.5 g fat, 23g protein per scoop. Or also haev Syntrax Nectar, 0carb, 0 fat, 23 g protein per scoop.
    Yes....I would try the champion brand it is superior to most other protein powders. Also beverly international makes on called muscle provider that would also be a good one for you.

-SHRED

Yes....I would try the champion brand it is superior to most other protein powders. Also beverly international makes on called muscle provider that would also be a good one for you.

-SHRED
    Thnaks for the info...I will look into thise products.

Thread Information