bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member

protien while pregnet?

Hey guys, a friend of mine is about 4 months pregnet. Her doctor told her that she needs to increase her protien consumption. But the thing is, she's anorexic, and wont touch meat. So she asked me about using protien powder. What do you guys think? Is protien powder the way to go? If so what kind? Isolate, or a concentrate/isolate blend? Thanks.

cb25 is offline Banned
    She will definitely need protein, wherever she can get it. Protein shakes, meat (if you can get her to), tofu, etc. Doesn't matter exactly what form, just make sure she gets some.

Thanks bro. Yeah she wont touch meat no matter what. What kind of protien do you think would be the best?

calidude is offline Senior Member
    My wife was the same way. Used to love the red meat but when she was pregnant, the thought of it made her sick. Now that she had the baby she likes it again. We lived off of chicken breast for every meal for almost 8 months.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg_28
    Thanks bro. Yeah she wont touch meat no matter what. What kind of protien do you think would be the best?
    Doesn't really matter. As long as it's a complete protein - whey, egg, casein, a blend, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by calidude
    My wife was the same way. Used to love the red meat but when she was pregnant, the thought of it made her sick. Now that she had the baby she likes it again. We lived off of chicken breast for every meal for almost 8 months.
    I bet you both were sick of chicken breasts for quite awhile! Chicken breasts for every meal, for eight months straight...WOW.

cb25- Thanks bro! I'm gonna reccomend her ATW concentrate/isolate blend.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Hey guys, a friend of mine is about 4 months pregnet. Her doctor told her that she needs to increase her protien consumption. But the thing is, she's anorexic, and wont touch meat. So she asked me about using protien powder. What do you guys think? Is protien powder the way to go? If so what kind? Isolate, or a concentrate/isolate blend? Thanks.
    If she's anorexic and PREGNANT, there are far more issues that need to be addressed aside from protein intake. That's downright scary.

Tell her to THINK about the child if nothing else.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    If she's anorexic and PREGNANT, there are far more issues that need to be addressed aside from protein intake. That's downright scary.

Tell her to THINK about the child if nothing else.

~SC~
    Yeah bro, it was scary at first. But she's doing better from what I'm told. And when she starts using protien powder, she'll be doing even better. Thanks for the thought Swole.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Cool deal man, just make sure she eats! Not only for her, but for the child. If she's malnourishing herself, imagine what is happening to the child inside.

Best wishes/luck w/this,
    ~SC~

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    Yeah bro, it was scary at first. But she's doing better from what I'm told. And when she starts using protien powder, she'll be doing even better. Thanks for the thought Swole.
    I hope she's doing ALOT better, because "better" for an anorexic is still nowhere near sufficient for child-bearing. She should gain between 25 and 30lbs during her pregnancy in order to properly nourish her growing child. And the first few months of pregnancy are the most critical. Even if eventually she starts eating the way she should, she may have already done some damage to the baby.

longhornDr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim2884
    I hope she's doing ALOT better, because "better" for an anorexic is still nowhere near sufficient for child-bearing. She should gain between 25 and 30lbs during her pregnancy in order to properly nourish her growing child. And the first few months of pregnancy are the most critical. Even if eventually she starts eating the way she should, she may have already done some damage to the baby.
    For an anorexic you'd actually want them to put on about 40 pounds, which is probably unimaginable to an anorexic. That underscores the importance of discussing this with the ob/gyn, hopefully her doctor knows about the anorexia, this is not something you should be getting adivce about from an internet message board.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    For an anorexic you'd actually want them to put on about 40 pounds, which is probably unimaginable to an anorexic. That underscores the importance of discussing this with the ob/gyn, hopefully her doctor knows about the anorexia, this is not something you should be getting adivce about from an internet message board.
    I'm pretty sure her doctor knows about it... at least I hope so. Her anorexia is kinda obvious. I haven't seen her lately so when I do I'll be sure at tell her that she needs to gain at least 40 pounds. What over advice should I give her?

Thread Information