Josey Wales is offline Associate Member

Scheduling Dextrose Intake

Because of my schedule I have to do all of my training first thing in the morning, and all of my cardio right after weight training. But I understand that taking whey/dextrose right after cardio is the worst time to take it. What do you recommend? Should I do my cardio first and then lift? Right now, I'm doing 45-60 mins on the bike. Seems like that would take a lot away from from my weight training, no? Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Honestly, the scenario sucks bro. Since you have no choice as it seems, you will want to do cardio after weights, never before, but you are going to immediately blunt lipolysis and you are also cutting into your recovery time while doing cardio after weights, throwing yourself into a further chance of extended catabolism.

I suggest one always seperate anaerobic/aerobic activity, even if it means doing weights one day, then cardio the next, etc. The positives highly outweigh the negatives in this regard.

~SC~

wildbill5252 is offline Associate Member
    how much time between cardio and strength training is adequete?
    IS cardio at 6am and gym at 8am enough...

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    NO-- Better off making cardio first thing am, train pm

wildbill5252 is offline Associate Member
    i gotta train in the morn so maybe i can push the cardio to 5:30am...just sux because of my schedule right now

Josey Wales is offline Associate Member
    Great advice. Thanks much, SwoleCat (appropriate moniker, btw).

This is important to me, so I guess I'll have to find a way to split sessions (weights/cardio). Though I'm pretty sure that that only way I can do that is to lift in the morning and do cardio in the evening.

Sounds like 6Pak is not a fan of that set up. I'd be interested to know why. I've read that that the metabolism is most efficient in the morning. So it would seem to me that hitting the weights hard first thing in the morning and then having the proper PWO and PPWO meals would be best for getting the most nutrients into the muscles. Have I misinterpreted the science (very possible)? Thanks.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Josey Wales
    Great advice. Thanks much, SwoleCat (appropriate moniker, btw).

This is important to me, so I guess I'll have to find a way to split sessions (weights/cardio). Though I'm pretty sure that that only way I can do that is to lift in the morning and do cardio in the evening.

Sounds like 6Pak is not a fan of that set up. I'd be interested to know why. I've read that that the metabolism is most efficient in the morning. So it would seem to me that hitting the weights hard first thing in the morning and then having the proper PWO and PPWO meals would be best for getting the most nutrients into the muscles. Have I misinterpreted the science (very possible)? Thanks.

If you have the energy to work out first thing in the morning, then go for it. Any activity in the morning will raise metabolism throughout the day. I'd opt for cardio first thing, and train later, but if you have to do it vice versa or prefer it that way, then do it the way you like. Honestly, as long as you know how to time your cardio and how long to wait after a meal before doing it, you should be fine doing it in the PM. And if you want to be absolutely sure that any protein that may have turned to glucose is settled, just pop some r-ala about 15 -20 minutes before you're going to hit the cardio.

I am not a fan of cardio pm after training am because the nutrients you ingest in the meals to follow need to be used for repair. Doing cardio at night cuts into that recovery process even if you are not burning the actual nutrients ingested. (sends mixed signals from fat loss/anabolism) When you do cardio a.m., weights pm, you have sleep which helps to make the transition a more efficient one. (repair while you sleep)

~SC~

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Actually I feel that the cardio PM is as beneficial as the cardio AM because of how the body switches over to burning stored body fat for fuel. AM cardio helps you burn it because of how long you have been fasting from the night before, PM cardio is beneficial as long as it IMMEDIATELY follows weight training and all of your glycogen storages have been depleted. So the switch to epithelial tissue is dominant. I may be wrong but I don't see how the body would not properly utilize food nutrients for recovery after the PM cardio as effieciently as it would any other time.

Cardio following weight training not only puts the body into a further state of catabolism, delays the nutrient intake pwo that is crucial, and stresses the CNS, as soon as you finish cardio and slam the pwo shake (ideal after weight training) you immediately blunt lipolysis. Not ideal in the least bit to reap the benefits of cardio, as cardio a.m. can have you continue fat burning for many hours afterward when you eat fat/protein offerings afterward. The result - far more "bang for your buck" in regards to fat loss for your cardio efforts. It's always better to seperate anaerobic activity from aerobic activity for best results in each area.

~SC~

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Cardio following weight training not only puts the body into a further state of catabolism, delays the nutrient intake pwo that is crucial, and stresses the CNS, as soon as you finish cardio and slam the pwo shake (ideal after weight training) you immediately blunt lipolysis. Not ideal in the least bit to reap the benefits of cardio, as cardio a.m. can have you continue fat burning for many hours afterward when you eat fat/protein offerings afterward. The result - far more "bang for your buck" in regards to fat loss for your cardio efforts. It's always better to seperate anaerobic activity from aerobic activity for best results in each area.

~SC~
    I have experienced this in my own training. I feel so strongly about this that I feel that it is better to not do cardio at all then do it after anaerobic weight lifting due to the way they counteract each other. BTW, nice animation in the sig Swole.

Quote Originally Posted by SMYL_GR8
    I have experienced this in my own training. I feel so strongly about this that I feel that it is better to not do cardio at all then do it after anaerobic weight lifting due to the way they counteract each other. BTW, nice animation in the sig Swole.
    Thanks bro! I had a buddy make it for me.

I agree, I never do cardio after weights. If forced, I'll do weights one day, cardio the next, etc.

~SC~

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    I understand what it is your saying but the only part I disagree with is that your putting your body into further catabolism instead of switching the energy source from glycogen to stored body fat. Excessive cardio after training would lead to over training and yes muscle being used for fuel but 30 minutes of cardio after a good workout is pretty beneficial to fat loss. By doing some "low impact" cardio after a workout you can flush the lactid acid back into the cells and perfuse oxygen saturated blood back into the muscles allowing for aerobic exercise again and the use of stored body fat for that fuel. You are absolutely right about slamming down nutrients after a workout for maximum benefit, I just feel they are utilized just as well after the 30 minute cardio session following the workout too. Not trying to go against your post just trying to understand the thought process behind it you make very good points. I have just benefitted well from the AM and the PM cardio runs. Also by flushing the lactid acid from the muscles i feel I recover faster.

Thread Information