Thread: When to Eat?

BigJames is offline Senior Member

When to Eat?

I have been researching "what" to eat for a while now and I feel that I am getting a pretty good grasp on what to eat and what to avoid...

I am having a hard time figuring out how to fit the right foods / supplements into my schedule. I train first thing in the morning (6:45am, 6 days a week; 4 with weights, 2 cardio) and this is not flexible due to family obligations (my wife trains when I get home from work and I take the kids). I will list my average/ideal daily diet plan below and will accept any and all critiques...I only ask that you go easy on me as I am very new to clean diets.

6:00am: Whey protein shake and serving of oatmeal

6:45am - 8:00am: TRAINING

8:10am: Post Workout Shake - 50 grams whey protein with skim milk and glutamine.

11:00am or 12:00pm: Lunch - 40grams protein with carbs (2 tuna sandwiches or pasta with chicken ofr example)

2:00pm or 3:00pm: Protein Shake - 50 grams whey protein with glutamine

6:00pm: Dinner - 40 grams of protein with carbs (steak and potatos or chicken and rice for example)

9:00pm: Shake - 40 grams of protein (low carbs) and some low fat cottage cheese.

I guess my real questions are around when and what exactly to aim for before and after my training. Any help is appreciated.

bump...anyone?

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    I'm no diet expert but I'll give you my $0.02. What are your goals with this diet? Bulk/cut/maintain? I would suggest eating every 3 hours. It is especially important to consume protein every 3 hours. I eat at 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 10pm.

Goal for my upcoming cycle will be growth. I will be eating to grow. I will cut later. I did not ellaborate on carbs and whatnot, because getting carbs is typically not too hard. Essentially, I intend to eat something every few hours. That something will likely include 30+ grams of protein and a good portion of clean carbs. I will be taking Test and Eq so I expect to be hungry and therefore eating a lot. Gaining has never been a problem for me naturally, I have been as heavy as 245lbs (although I was carrying around a lot of fat then). I am really asking for advice on the meal before and after training. Most of the info I can find is set up to accomodate someone who is training in the afternoon.

Bulldog5.0 is offline Junior Member
    Get rid of the glutamine when you take whey. It inhibits absorption. Also, I would do a PWO shake of 40g whey and some simple carbs (ideally 50/50 dextrose/maltodext) at 80 grams. Milk will slow down protein absorption (relatively speaking- whey and sugar is the quickest way to get a big fat insulin spike). HTH

thanks bulldog

Thread Information