j.j. is offline Associate Member

Protein vs. Carbs

I was reading the April 2002 issue of flex and in the article in question it says to tweak your carbs while on a bulking cycle. Know, this confuses a rookie like me, what is the best for bulking more carbs or more protein. I understand that muscles need food to grow, but what is the proper combo, is it the carbs-protein-fat or protein-carbs-fat. And is it 3.0 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight or is it just that this is a basic guideline and you should find what is best for you and your program?
    have a nice day

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    bump....I hope someone answers him, I'm interested as well in this question.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I think you should find what works for you...however i usually eat about 35% protein, 15% fat and 50% carbs and i multiply my bodywaight by 20 to get my total caloric value for a day. For me that's enough to get bigger and yet stay relatively lean, without to much fat increase. You can adjust your carb intake to you own needs and remember the more carbs you eat the more of protein sparing effect you get so you don't have to eat as much protein. 35% of protein still equals about 350 gm of protein for me. Well i hope that helps you out a bit bro...Good Luck

j.j. is offline Associate Member
    Thanks Mike, It just gets a little confusing at times when you research a particular view point and then you pick up a mag like flex and read something totally different than the philosophy you are following.
    So, my next question is that during a process like bulking could you see a drop in weight at the beginning or is it your body changing. I ask this because I notice certain clothes like my jeans and all the clothes I wear for work fit a little different.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    I like Mike's answer a lot. That is funny that you mention Flex mag. The contradict themselves from issue to issue. All of the mags seem to. In Mens Health, one month, do crunches- they are all you need, next month dont do crunches they don't work, do weighted leg lifts, next month, do situps they are the best, next month, do crunches (without any reference to thier contradiction from the month before). Anyone would be confused.

The short of it is there are many combinations of thisng you can do that will work. You just need to find one that you can live with and stiick to it. Consider 1) Low fat, or 2) Low calorie, or 3) Low carb, and never neglect the importance of a good cardio regime.

Thread Information