Thread: Enough for PWO?

Aggression is offline Member

Enough for PWO?

I lift 3 days a week, 4 exercises a session, 3 sets an exercise. My workouts usually last about 45 minutes. I'm 24 years old 6' 221 lbs. For my PWO shake I have been taking 25 g of whey with 50 g of dex in 8 oz. of water. Is this enough? BTW I'm cutting.

Aboot is offline Banned
    I'd bump it up to 40g pro and 80g dex.

Why is it that you need a 2:1 ratio? Lets say I take in 50g of protein and 50 g of dex. What would happen?

Would I still get good results?

Aboot is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggression
    Why is it that you need a 2:1 ratio? Lets say I take in 50g of protein and 50 g of dex. What would happen?

Would I still get good results?
    You'd get ok results but not optimal. The 2:1 ratio ensures that there is a large enough insulin spike to shuttle the protein and carbs into the muscles.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'd say the majority of this answer would have to depend on what the rest of your dietary plan of attack consisted of.

~SC~

Well I am cutting and I am only weight training for about 30-45 minutes a session, so I don't think it's necessary that I need to take more than 25 g pro/50 g of dex. However if by trial and error, more is needed and it won't turn to fat, I will try it.

longhornDr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aboot
    You'd get ok results but not optimal. The 2:1 ratio ensures that there is a large enough insulin spike to shuttle the protein and carbs into the muscles.
    I don't think this can be backed up with any physiological explanation.

I'd bump the protein up to around 40-50ish, but it is hard to say though without knowing how much protein you are taking in the rest of the day, and what your body composition is, how long you have been cutting etc.

When cutting I might start with something like 100/50 dex/protein and decrease dex by ~5g per week as my bodyfat falls.

Thread Information