se11 is offline Associate Member

1 inch = 10 lbs?

I have heard that for every 10 pounds you gain, you accumulate one inch on your body parts. That would be like saying if you go from 150-160 and have 15 inch arms, you will go up to 16. But is this really true? If so how much of it?

Say you gain ten pounds of mostly fat and little muscle. Would you still gain the inch, but it would be a fatty inch? What if you are cut up at around 170 pounds with a good diet, and let yourself go over a few weeks and gain fifteen pounds. What happens to your body? Would you loose the muscle and turn it into fat, or would you accumulate fat over that muscle?

Now, say he wants to bounce back and bulk then cut. First he would have to burn that fat he got over the last weeks. But while he is doing that could he also workout his muscles like a serious body builder, while he is losing that weight and still see results? Say hes doing X amount of cardio to burn that fat, then he goes and works out hard, like a body builder would. How would this workout for him and what results would he see after the fat is gone?

What if he wanted to stay at the weight he was at, but wanted to loose the fat he has? Would he have to go into a bulking or cutting diet when he is done? But, what about the fat he has now. Say he is up from 160 to 175. Now he decides he wants to stay at 175, but loose his fat. How would he balance out his workouts, to loose fat but remain at the same 175?

I am asking these questions because I am really curious about diet and how it effects working out, and I have no smarts in the diet world. Thanks for your help.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    This will differ for each person and his/her propensity to store fat in certain areas.

~SC~

Anyone else?

seanw is offline Banned
    so does that mean if I put on 30lbs I can add three inches to Willie ?

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    Genetics are the #1 factor in this. If you are 5'2" and add 10lbs you could easily add an inch to your arms due to the fact that your muscles are compact to begin with. If you are 6'6" and you add 10lbs I doubt it would add up to even a half inch of arm girth. I think thats a blanket statement that is totally relative to one's frame.

Quote Originally Posted by se11
    Anyone else?

I guess I didn't say what you were looking to hear huh?

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    I think thats a blanket statement that is totally relative to one's frame.
    Careful bro, I feel a "anyone else" coming on!!!!!

~SC~

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Careful bro, I feel a "anyone else" coming on!!!!!

~SC~

Oh you must not have gotten the memo that educated responses dont apply here.

I guess not!

~SC~

Yeah, genetics can play a factor, but noone answered my questions. Genetics may play a big factor, but what if a person that is 6'6 adds 25 pounds? Will that give him an inch per arm or chest? What about 30? What if he gains 25 pounds from fast food then wants to get rid of the fat, build up, then cut down as fast as he can? First he would need to cardio, but while he is doing cardio, is it worth it to workout? There are a bunch of questions I had, and I don't think simply "genetics" sums up my answer. Genetics may sum up part of it. Like someone said gaining 10 pounds on a person that is 6'6 won't do much. But, what will? What if that person is 6'6 and skinny as hell? What if they are 260 pounds?
    Last edited by se11; 01-09-2005 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by se11
    Yeah, genetics can play a factor, but noone answered my questions.
    I don't think there is an answer.

Good luck w/the quest for the ultimate answer, I can honestly say I've no idea what you are looking for or why.

Peace!
    ~SC~

Thread Information