SpinalTap is offline Junior Member

Pot bellies...genetic?

Are those nasty kinds of stomachs where just the stomach is round and sticks out while the rest of the body is skinny a genetic thing or can it be fixed? I think that's kind of what I have, when I flex I have a regular four pack and the lower abs dont match AT ALL. Its like they are someone elses pasted on top. And then when I dont flex I look like a fat person, and it screws up my cloths so that I have to wear loose shirts, while having normal arms.

I figure that that's simply where my body likes to store fat, meaning I'd have to eat extremely well and be really fit everywhere else just to have that part be normal.

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    it could be a number of things. Most pot bellies are just from bad diets. For someone like yourself it could mean you have tight psoas muscles causing the stomach to stick out more. I had tight psoas muscles and my stomach used to stick out further, but now since I learn myofacial stretching it does not stick at nearly as much. Overall, psoas stretching may help that problem overtime. It is true the people store fat differently meaning you might have higher coritsol levels in your abdominal region. There are ways and supplements to correct it, a nutrionist would most likely know.

Syndicate is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    it could be a number of things. Most pot bellies are just from bad diets. For someone like yourself it could mean you have tight psoas muscles causing the stomach to stick out more. I had tight psoas muscles and my stomach used to stick out further, but now since I learn myofacial stretching it does not stick at nearly as much. Overall, psoas stretching may help that problem overtime. It is true the people store fat differently meaning you might have higher coritsol levels in your abdominal region. There are ways and supplements to correct it, a nutrionist would most likely know.

What are those exercises? Never heard of them. Do you have a link for them?

-Syn

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    I do not have a link, but I'm sure you can find something under Myofacial stretching. It is the stretching of the seath (sp) on top of the muscle not the muscle itself. They are very technical, I learned them at a seminar with Paul Gagne (friend of charles poliquin).

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap
    Are those nasty kinds of stomachs where just the stomach is round and sticks out while the rest of the body is skinny a genetic thing or can it be fixed? I think that's kind of what I have, when I flex I have a regular four pack and the lower abs dont match AT ALL. Its like they are someone elses pasted on top. And then when I dont flex I look like a fat person, and it screws up my cloths so that I have to wear loose shirts, while having normal arms.

I figure that that's simply where my body likes to store fat, meaning I'd have to eat extremely well and be really fit everywhere else just to have that part be normal.
    How long have you been utilizing weight training in your quest for a better body? You know, the big movements/work ---> chest/back/leg work. We call it "sure change" because rigorously taxing those parts w/muscular endurance activities like weight training, gives your body no choice BUT to change.

As well, if you wish to change, then yes you will have to "eat extremely well" (at least initially to achieve your goal, then you tinker to see what you can get away with later), as that will directly support the physique changing movements that are the weight training activities.

Dive in, get real, get going, get noticed.

~SC~

SpinalTap is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    How long have you been utilizing weight training in your quest for a better body? You know, the big movements/work ---> chest/back/leg work. We call it "sure change" because rigorously taxing those parts w/muscular endurance activities like weight training, gives your body no choice BUT to change.
    ~SC~

so working those areas would help take off lower ab fat? I always thought cutting was the only way to go.

I looked up psoas stretching....theres tons of different methods for it, ill try it.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap
    so working those areas would help take off lower ab fat? I always thought cutting was the only way to go.
    So in cutting you can't lift weights??????

Cutting is not indicative of NO WEIGHTS. You can cut and still utilize weight training to help shape/mold you. In fact, it's CRUCIAL! I'd research about weight training/muscle acquisition/and how the two help to assist one in losing fat and re-shaping the entire body. Being that it seems you know little about this, it's clear why you haven't yet made the transformation.

Don't worry, read up, start soon, and the rest will be history.

~SC~

Thread Information