jgg1221 is offline Member

cutting and the harris benedict formula

ok here goes

i used that harris benedict formula based upon my total LEAN body mass... (meaning, i subtracted the amount thats body fat to see the results as if i were 0% body fat)
    the result was 1950Kcal, and i multiplied it by 1.75 (because i work out 7 days/week... 3 days lifting, 4 days cardio - 1hr each day) and got 3360Kcal

now in accordance to the formula it says this would be the amount of calories to maintain my body weight

but im wondering... during a cutting diet what percentages should be fat, protein and carbs?
    ive heard all different numbers such as 60% carbs, 20% protein, 20% fats
    or
    40%carbs 40% protein and 20% fats

60% carbs sounds a little crazy to me, because if that were the case id be taking in over 400g of carbs per day.... doesnt sound like a cutting diet to me
    40% carbs... maybe a little more reasonable?

I'm essentially looking to see if anyone can tell me what % of carbs i should have to maintain my lean body mass while doing my intense workouts

some more info about me:
    20years old,
    230lbs, 23% bf
    6ft tall
    medium rate metabolism when not working out
    essentially looking to get my body fat as low as possible while maintaing muscle size and strength

thanks

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    there is a sticky above that explains this info...you would have to play with your numbers personally, but most have found that a 40/40/20 ratio is a good start, i personally work well with a 50/30/20 ratio for cutting.

odrorir is offline Associate Member
    I do best high protein, low carb/fat
    60/20/20
    or
    70/15/15

I would start at 50/30/20 and tweak it until you get where you like.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    there is a sticky above that explains this info...you would have to play with your numbers personally, but most have found that a 40/40/20 ratio is a good start, i personally work well with a 50/30/20 ratio for cutting.

jgg1221 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67

by 50/30/20
    you mean 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat right?

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    yup yup

Thread Information