Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    insanepump621 is offline Member

Soda after workout?

This guy at my gym was telling that once in a while it is ok to have a can of soda like pepsi or coke not diet becuase its got simple sugars or carbs to help restore muscle... hes pretty big dude and seems like he knows what he is talking about but i was a little sketched out by this does nebody know if this is true thank?

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by insanepump621
    This guy at my gym was telling that once in a while it is ok to have a can of soda like pepsi or coke not diet becuase its got simple sugars or carbs to help restore muscle... hes pretty big dude and seems like he knows what he is talking about but i was a little sketched out by this does nebody know if this is true thank?
    Use dextrose in PWO shake. No need for regular soda.

I don't know a whole lot about dieting yet, but I know i stay away from soda period. Let alone after a workout. You need a fast-acting protien.

I do it when I'm bulking. Not all the time, but maybe once or twice a week. Guess who else does it? Jay Cutler

Ya i was reading that in muscle and fitness in an interview in the mag then i get a whole book on pump tech and some proper workout bs for it and king kamali has a can pepsi as a post workout drink and protein right after

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    I think it is "ok" too, but this is a pretty subjective term. A can of soda every now and probably won't matter too much, but I wouldn't make a habit out of it. I know Jay Cutler drinks a can of Coca-cola every now and then after a workout.

nathanw21 is offline Member
    dextrose is a much better sugar to take post workout than soda

what are some of the things i can find dextrose in?

what are some of the things i can find dextrose in?
    You buy the dextrose and add in to your PWO shake.

nathanw21 is offline Member
    you have a pm

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    lots of online stores have it:

www.kentnutrtion.com
    www.thebetterhealthstore.com

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    A lot of Willy Wonka candies have dextrose and malto in them too. Bottlecaps are the bomb. I would buy a hundred rolls if I could find them cheap. Willy Wonka probably benched 500 easy.

the kentnutrition.com site is down

FLeX44 is offline New Member
    Dextrose is synonomous to Glucose, if that helps.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    soda is garbarge and jay cutler puts more juice in his body than god knows what...anything found in those muscle mags should be taken with a grain of salt due to the large quantities of money the pro's get for claiming to be natural and using Nitrotech.

1morerep is offline Associate Member
    i sometimes train with a guy who was on the canadian olympic track and field team, and his coach told him to have coke after training.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    This guy at my gym was telling that once in a while it is ok to have a can of soda like pepsi or coke to help restore muscle.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    soda is garbarge and jay cutler puts more juice in his body than god knows what...anything found in those muscle mags should be taken with a grain of salt due to the large quantities of money the pro's get for claiming to be natural and using Nitrotech.
    Thank you for stating the obvious which for some reason, people can't realize is obvious.

Soda (carbonation rather) kills the absorption of protein as well, so you all tell me what good that is pwo??

~SC~

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    This is the first thing that came to mind, do you people not realise how much ****ing gear Jay Cutler puts in his body?

This idea is absolutely, utterly ridiculous!

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    this thread just dropped my IQ 10 points

dlacwbgao

longhornDr is offline Member
    Not that much different than drinking a dextrose shake, can't see any logical reason why it would hurt to subsitute a coke for your dextrose every once in awhile. Your body isn't going to know the difference.

I've never heard of carbonation slowing protein absorption and I do research in GI physiology.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    the suagr in soda man spike your insuline but there is no glucose in "corn syrup" to replenish glycogen

DCB

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    swolecat summed it all up when he said carbonation kills protein absorption

profbiv is offline Associate Member
    Yikes the only soda I will drink except for the occasional one with my wife and little guys would be if I feel a little hypo after slin. Other than it’s poison in a can

http://education.wichita.edu/caduceus/examples/soda/soda_index.html

Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    Not that much different than drinking a dextrose shake, can't see any logical reason why it would hurt to subsitute a coke for your dextrose every once in awhile. Your body isn't going to know the difference.

Okay "DOC".

I'll refrain from crossing paths w/you again, not worth it.

Enjoy your coke.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by getbig888
    swolecat summed it all up when he said carbonation kills protein absorption
    Gracias!

Lots of articles on this.

Will I spend time digging them up and posting them for one person?

Absolutely not, since I consider this common knowledge as does everyone else.

Next.....

~SC~

fitnessNY is offline Senior Member
    Why would anyone think that is is ok to have a coke or pepsi PW?!? I would think common sense would tell you otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by dalcowbag
    the suagr in soda man spike your insuline but there is no glucose in "corn syrup" to replenish glycogen

DCB
    Yeah okay man drink a coke and measure your blood glucose, if it doesn't go up i'll give you a million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Gracias!

Lots of articles on this.

Will I spend time digging them up and posting them for one person?

Absolutely not, since I consider this common knowledge as does everyone else.

Next.....

~SC~
    You guys should write up your research and submit it for publication then, a search of medline reveals no "article" supporting the theory that the carbonation in one can of coke can inhibit protein absorption to any significant degree. I imagine you wont spend the time digging up any articles because no legit studies exist that support that conclusion.

You should refrain from crossing paths with me, you obviously lack the appropriate level of knowledge. It's one thing to give advice from experience, but you seem to like pulling pseudo-physiology out of your ass and then jump all over anyone who disagrees with your uneducated theories.

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    bro you might have a hard time getting any help around here after bashing swole like that!!

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

Soda (carbonation rather) kills the absorption of protein as well, so you all tell me what good that is pwo??

~SC~
    SWOLE - what else do you know that slows protein synthesis?

so far i have heard the following can have this effect (although i dont know to what degree):

carbonation (first time i heard that)
    caffeine
    alcohol
    anti-inflamatories

is there anything else we need to worry about?
    and are any of these worse than others?

Hey, you have your beliefs and I have mine. So what? As far as crossing paths, I've been on this road far longer than you, you seem to exit/on-ramp every once in a blue moon. I've been on this Interstate...........

You don't change what I do, so you're really of no concern to me in my daily routines. I would argue/banter/etc., but again I've much more important things to do, so I'm afraid your application has been rejected at this time.

Please try again later.

~SC~

You should refrain from crossing paths with me, you obviously lack the appropriate level of knowledge. It's one thing to give advice from experience, but you seem to like pulling pseudo-physiology out of your ass and then jump all over anyone who disagrees with your uneducated theories.

However, just to show that I don't pull anything out of my ass (nice job flaming me by the way you professional you), here is a bit of information.
    As well, refrain from cussing at me and insinuating I don't know what I am talking about. I fail to see your educational/fitness website or documentation where you've assisted 100's? Please point me in that direction doctor. I don't care what you study, what you aspire to be, etc. It's about contributions not only here, but all over in helping/assisting people, a realm/arena that you can't even stand next to me in. I simply said I'd not cross paths and argue with you, but you had to get your Internet dick hard and start sh*t.

Grow up.

~SC~

1) In the human digestive system, there are many enzymes to help digest our food. In the mouth, salivary amylase acts to break long starch molecules into maltose, a disaccharide. In the stomach, the enzyme pepsin functions to break proteins into smaller pieces called polypeptides. Because pepsin can only break the bonds next to certain amino acids, proteins are only broken into these shorter chains, and not digested all the way to amino acids. That must be done later, in the small intestine. Most digestion and absorption of nutrients occurs in the small intestine. A number of enzymes including maltase, sucrase, and lactase (which break down the corresponding disaccharides), trypsin and chymotrypsin (which further digest polypeptides to amino acids), and pancreatic lipase (which breaks fats into glycerol and fatty acids) are secreted by the pancreas into the small intestine. While not an enzyme but an emulsifying agent, bile is secreted by the gall bladder into the small intestine. All these, plus some enzymes secreted by the intestinal lining work to digest the food we eat.

So that pepsin doesn’t digest the cell that makes it, it is synthesized and secreted in an inactive form called pepsinogen. Other cells in the stomach lining produce hydrochloric acid (HCl), causing the stomach contents to have a pH of around 1 to 3. Since the pepsinogen and hydrochloric acid are secreted by different cells, they don’t come into contact with each other until they meet in the stomach cavity. Pepsinogen needs the low stomach pH and hydrochloric acid for conversion to pepsin. Once some of the pepsinogen is converted, that starts a chain reaction because pepsin can also trigger formation of more pepsin. This, by the way, is an example of a positive feedback loop (Campbell, 1987). This acidic pH range is also necessary for proper functioning of the pepsin: a pH of 2 is optimum for pepsin function (Campbell, 1987). Thus, it would be suspected that anything which changes stomach pH might interfere with both formation and effectiveness of pepsin.
    Those being carbonated drinks, sodas, etc.

One thing that can denature proteins, including enzymes, is a change in pH, and in the case of enzymes, this would cause them to cease functioning. While hydrochloric acid, itself, cannot break peptide bonds (Cunningham, 1989), the low pH in the stomach caused by carbonated beverages, denatures proteins in food, thereby changing their shape and exposing their peptide bonds so that pepsin can break these bonds. Even left-over salivary amylase is denatured, ceases to work, and is digested (Campbell, 1987). While hydrochloric acid does not actually digest food, it does help by softening the “glue” between the cells of various foods, making those foods more vulnerable to digestion by pepsin. Hydrochloric acid also helps by killing bacteria that are swallowed with food (Campbell, 1987).

The smell and/or taste of food triggers an initial burst of gastric juice (pepsin, HCl, etc.). Once food is in the stomach, its presence there triggers the release of the hormone, gastrin into the blood system. As this hormone recirculates to the stomach, it stimulates continued production of gastric juice. The presence of food dilutes the hydrochloric acid, so stomach pH is a little higher when food is present, stimulating the secretion of more gastric juice. As the stomach gradually empties, the pH decreases. If the pH of the stomach becomes too low, that inhibits secretion of gastrin, thus reducing the secretion of gastric juices. This is an example of a negative feedback loop (Campbell, 1987), one of the many involved in homeostasis.

NEXT:

Q | Are carbonated beverages good for bodybuilders?

A | Carbonated beverages are often viewed as digestive aids because the gas from the carbonation causes distension of the stomach and intestines. This distension is sensed by the gastrointestinal (GI) system and causes an increase in motility--meaning the food that's in the stomach passes through the GI tract at a faster rate. This may be good for decreasing indigestion but bad for enhancing digestion and absorption of nutrients--particularly amino acids from protein.

Carbonation may interfere with absorption because the higher acidity of such beverages inhibits normal secretion of stomach enzymes, such as proteases, which break down protein into amino acids. Carbonated beverages also may somehow force much of the food consumed to sit in the higher part of the stomach, where the enzymes are not found, preventing the normal breakdown of protein.

If food moves more rapidly through the stomach, there is less time for enzymes to do their work. Also, if fewer enzymes are doing their work, some of the protein you've eaten may not get properly digested.

Another problem with drinking a carbonated beverage during a meal is that you may feel less satiated afterward. This was discovered in a study of patients with indigestion and constipation. Carbonated water taken with meals reduced the study subjects' indigestion and constipation, but they were less satiated than when they drank plain water with food.

~SC~

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    so its not ok to have a coke??

mitch911 is offline Member
    case closed!

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Swole i believed you before you posted the information

but how about my question i posted above....?

what other things slow protein synth?

I've never heard of carbonation slowing protein absorption and I do research in GI physiology.
    Perhaps it's time to change schools!

Seriously though bro, just because you "do research" doesn't mean that you've covered everything and that you are the end all to end all's as far as this information is concerned.

No flame, but you come across as if you're the GI physiology God or something, and that just because "you" haven't heard of it, that it's not valid. Talk about uneducated "theories". You're living in your own soap opera, but guess what, no one is watching that channel.

Again, I don't want to banter back/forth, but when you flame me and use vulgarity towards me, don't expect for me to just sit here on a forum I basically lead and be pelleted with bullsh*t.

How about you have soda, we'll have dextrose, and we'll leave it at that.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 01-29-2005 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    Swole i believed you before you posted the information

but how about my question i posted above....?

what other things slow protein synth?
    The ones you listed all have some kind of affect, yes.

If you are eating clean food, drinking water, avoiding crap, etc., you will be fine.
    There isn't much to mess up w/sound dietary practices.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 01-29-2005 at 12:08 PM.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Wow, this thread has gotten interesting.

Not really, it got pitiful. It went from an obviously silly thing to do pwo, to having to defend oneself from people throwing stones.

I said "steer clear" because I was willing to steer clear and leave it alone, but evidently people like to challenge me, perhaps because of my status and it makes them feel important, but it's not like I'm going to sit here and take that lying down. I can do this all day, h*ll, the Net is my job and it is what I do all day.

Bring your A game.

~SC~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information