xenithon is offline Member

Honey vs Dextrose Postworkout

Hi all,

I have been reading how good it is to have a simple carb post workout to replensih glycogen stores. I have tried to find dextrose, without too much luck here, although I have found fructose. I just wanted to know if honey is as good/better/worse to add to a post workout shake??

thanks!

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    xenithon...do they have stores over there where they sell Home Brewing kits (homemade beer)? If so you can buy it in bulk. You can buy it here at grocery stores as well. I'm not familiar with fructose, but I'm quite sure one of the main ingredients in OTC post work out carb-up drinks is glucose. I guess I need to do a little more research.
    Pete

xenithon is offline Member
    hi there,

thanks for the info! i will try find a brewer's shop like you said. fructose = fruit sugar, sold at health shops/pharmacys, meant to be muc healthier than table sugar. glucose I think is pure table sugar, please correct me if i'm wrong.

i have heard honey isn't just simple carbs, but also has healing properties, amino acids etc. so i just wanted to find out if it's a good substitute (and shakes taste a whole lote better with it )

Ms Figure is offline Retired Moderator
    Ok do you want me to bore you with science

Most researches recommend comsuming 1 g/kg body weight during the 2 hour post exercise period. For efficient glycogen refuelling, you should continue to eat at least 50g carbohydrate every 2 hours until your next main meal. It makes no difference if you consume liquid or solid forms of carbohydrate suitable foods include sports drinks, honey sanwiches, most types of bread energy or sports nutrician bars even raisins (recommend 4 heaped tpl spoons)

If you are trying to lose weight you can omit pre-exercise carbs eg, eat pre-exercise carbs if your main goal is performance skip pre-exercise carbs if your main goal is fat loss.

hope this helped!
    Ms Figure

Thread Information