carbs-rule is offline Associate Member

PWO dextrose...but walking home

I walk to and from my gym. It's a 15-20 minute walk, depending if I get screwed by a crosswalk. I usually wait until I get home to drink a pwo shake w/dextrose & creatine. Does anyone think the 15-20 minute delay will have any effect? Should I drink a dextrose drink w/creatine on the way home instead of waiting? If I do this, would I have to up the amount of dextrose? . I figure if I drink dextrose on the way home, I'll use some of it for the walking process.

Quote Originally Posted by carbs-rule
    I walk to and from my gym. It's a 15-20 minute walk, depending if I get screwed by a crosswalk. I usually wait until I get home to drink a pwo shake w/dextrose & creatine. Does anyone think the 15-20 minute delay will have any effect? Should I drink a dextrose drink w/creatine on the way home instead of waiting? If I do this, would I have to up the amount of dextrose? . I figure if I drink dextrose on the way home, I'll use some of it for the walking process.
    It's alright to keep doin' that as long as you're gettin it at least 15 minutes after your workout. IMO you should drink it while walking home though.

HiFi is offline Associate Member
    my drive home from the gym takes 15 minutes.. its fine.. within 30 minutes is good..

i take that back.. the walking can be like cardio.. its not great after lifting... bring a bottle with the powder already in it.. fill it up with water an drink before u leave the gym

mitch911 is offline Member
    dont mean to hijack...but would a 30 min bike ride from the gym be considered as cardio after lifting...the nice weather is comming soon and i wanna ride to the gym...its a good warmup and i dont wanna hassel all the time for a ride...so do u think this will screw my gains

HiFi is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    dont mean to hijack...but would a 30 min bike ride from the gym be considered as cardio after lifting...the nice weather is comming soon and i wanna ride to the gym...its a good warmup and i dont wanna hassel all the time for a ride...so do u think this will screw my gains

30 minutes is the maximum time .. why not save yourself the aggravation.. takes 5 minutes before u leave the gym to scoop your powder into a water bottle an then just mix it after you're done

skribbble is offline Member
    Wait its not good to do a 10 minute cardio walk after a workout? I do the same thing drink my protein shake with dextrose and a teaspon of creatine on the 10 minute WALK home from the gym. Should i change this up?

mitch911 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HiFi
    30 minutes is the maximum time .. why not save yourself the aggravation.. takes 5 minutes before u leave the gym to scoop your powder into a water bottle an then just mix it after you're done
    ohh sorry for the confusion i plan on drinking my post workout right after im done with the weights...my concern is that cardio should not be done after lifting...so im asking if the 30 min bike home will screw things up for me

J-F
    J-F is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    ohh sorry for the confusion i plan on drinking my post workout right after im done with the weights...my concern is that cardio should not be done after lifting...so im asking if the 30 min bike home will screw things up for me
    30 minutes of cardio after wheight training could kill some of your gain yes. perhaps drinking your PWO shake before going home on bike might not be a best idea cuz you will use thoses carbs as an energy source instead of refilling glycogen level...

maybe a small shake before you leave with your bike so that you wont turn catabolic and an another one when your home to refill glycogen level.

good luck

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    Just read a few studies this week from I belived UT, and Vandy that indicated your PWO window was 45mins. Obviously the earlier the better but they established the insulin resistance window at 45mins. Keep in mind the longer you wait the more cortisol damage taking place.

J-F
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    Just read a few studies this week from I belived UT, and Vandy that indicated your PWO window was 45mins. Obviously the earlier the better but they established the insulin resistance window at 45mins. Keep in mind the longer you wait the more cortisol damage taking place.
    I agree but here the main concern with the bike after weight training is catabolism and muscle mass loosing...

Quote Originally Posted by J-F
    I agree but here the main concern with the bike after weight training is catabolism and muscle mass loosing...
    This is true but if his goals are fatloss then this is one optimal time. He has depleted a large amount of glycogen which just means he is more primed for fat loss. I highly doubt though by the question that fat loss is a main concern but in the event it is then its not the worst possible combo.

J-F
    This is true but if his goals are fatloss then this is one optimal time. He has depleted a large amount of glycogen which just means he is more primed for fat loss. I highly doubt though by the question that fat loss is a main concern but in the event it is then its not the worst possible combo.

Yeah but that is why we split cardio and wheight training.. Am cardio..PM lifting...

Cardio for 30 after lifting minutes IS a not so good combo, even much on a real bike with real condition (outside) where you can't control your heartbeat for maximum fatloss.. (trafic.. weather.. etc...)

Yeah but that is why we split cardio and wheight training.. Am cardio..PM lifting...

Cardio for 30 after lifting minutes IS a not so good combo, even much on a real bike with real condition (outside) where you can't control your heartbeat for maximum fatloss.. (trafic.. weather.. etc...)
    Yeah but if you dont think am cardio is catabolic you're crazy. You have been asleep for 9hrs and expended all of your kcal energy through the night and therefore are in my opinion no more catbolic PWO than you are upon awaking. Both situations provide stress on the body. There are a number of professionals and studies that show little difference between PWO and a.m. cardio. The only way to really figure out what works best is through personal trial and error.

J-F
    Yeah but if you dont think am cardio is catabolic you're crazy. You have been asleep for 9hrs and expended all of your kcal energy through the night and therefore are in my opinion no more catbolic PWO than you are upon awaking. Both situations provide stress on the body. There are a number of professionals and studies that show little difference between PWO and a.m. cardio. The only way to really figure out what works best is through personal trial and error.
    Yeah personal experience is the best to follow... we wont start another AM cardio vs PM Cardio debate.. there is so much on the board..

I think he have all the info he need to make a choice...

Yeah personal experience is the best to follow... we wont start another AM cardio vs PM Cardio debate.. there is so much on the board..

I think he have all the info he need to make a choice...
    Oh yeah I agree. With that said I do a.m. cardio (Because its more convient for me).

If someone walks to the gym with a gym bag why wouldnt they just put their PWO mix in a ziplock bag and use it in their shaker after the conclusion of the workout? This is what I dont understand. Doesnt everyone go to the gym with a shaker or water bottle for their workout? Hell most gyms even have blenders and empty cups if you need to go that route (I have before)

Thread Information