icewind is offline Associate Member

Cardio on empty stomac ?!?

Can someone please explain why is it better to do cardio on empty stomac in the morning?

I guess because glycogen stores are depleted ... but whouldn't that also burn muscle? ... muscle is a lot easier to access than fat...

Darkness is offline Member
    Thats why its wise to eat a good breakfast afterwards.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    to burn the fat you have on you as energy rather then burning the food you just ate for energy.

DCB

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    Quote Originally Posted by icewind
    Can someone please explain why is it better to do cardio on empty stomac in the morning?

I guess because glycogen stores are depleted ... but whouldn't that also burn muscle? ... muscle is a lot easier to access than fat...
    Yes it would, thats why its important do low intensity cardio for no more than 30-45 min

seanw is offline Banned
    This will answer your question A.M. Fat Burn

Starkraven is offline Junior Member
    the body uses fats for energy during low intensity activity (talking,walking,moving), one which includes cardio up to 70% max heart rate for maximum fat loss without spilling over to glucose/amino acids to be used for energy during high intensity cardio such as running or going over 70% max heart rate.

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    This was originally posted by Blown_SC over at Iron For Life forum, however I don't remember who the original writer was.

Top 10 Reasons for Morning Cardio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So why mornings?...

1. Over 90% of people who exercise *consistently*, exercise in the morning. If you want to exercise consistently, odds are in your favor if you exercise first thing in the morning.

2. When you exercise early in the morning, it "jump starts" your metabolism and keeps it elevated for hours, sometimes up to 24 hours! That means you're burning more calories all day long just because you exercised in the morning!

3. When you exercise in the morning you'll be *energized* for the day! Personally, I feel dramatically different on days when I have and haven't exercised in the morning.

4. Many people find that morning exercise "regulates" their appetite for the day - that they aren't as hungry and that they make better food choices. Several people have told me that it puts them in a "healthy mindset."

5. If you exercise at about the same time every morning, and ideally wake-up at about the same time on a regular basis, your body's endocrine system and circadian rhythms adjust to that. Physiologically, some wonderful things begin to happen; A couple of hours *before* you awaken, your body begins to prepare for waking and exercise because it "knows" it's about to happen. Why? Because it "knows" you do the same thing just about everyday. You benefit from that in several ways..

a) It's MUCH easier to wake-up. When you wake-up at different times everyday, it confuses your body and thus it's never really "prepared" to awaken.

b) Your metabolism and all the hormones involved in activity and exercise begin to elevate while you're sleeping. Thus, you feel more alert, energized, and ready to exercise when you do wake-up.

c) Hormones prepare your body for exercise by regulating blood pressure, heart rate, blood flow to muscles, etc.

6. For many people, that appointed time every morning becomes something they look forward to. It's time they've set aside to do something good for themselves - to take care of their body, mind, and soul. Many find that it's a great time to think clearly, pray, plan their day, or just relax mentally.

7. Research has demonstrated that exercise increases mental acuity. On average it lasts four to ten hours after exercise! No sense in wasting that brain power while you're sleeping.

8. Exercise first thing in the morning is really the only way to assure that something else won't crowd exercise out of your schedule. When your days get hectic, exercise usually takes a back seat!

9. If finding time to exercise is difficult, anyone can get up 30 to 60 minutes earlier to exercise (if it's a priority in your life). If necessary, you can go to sleep a little earlier. Also, research has demonstrated that people who exercise on a regular basis have a higher quality of sleep and thus require less sleep!

10. You'll feel GREAT! DO IT!

Hugh-Hefner's-Son is offline Associate Member

+

I am finding this thread to be very benificial. What is everyone's thought on
    adding in some 1 minute sprints while walking every ten minutes or so. I find this keeps me focused and speeds the heart rate up for a breif moment.

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh-Hefner's-Son
    I am finding this thread to be very benificial. What is everyone's thought on
    adding in some 1 minute sprints while walking every ten minutes or so. I find this keeps me focused and speeds the heart rate up for a breif moment.

I do a lot of high intensity interval training. When done in moderation I feel its very beneficial to my cardiovascular health and helps me increase my speed/agility/endurance. However its not wise to do it all the time because running is very catabolic.

need2Bbig is offline Associate Member
    Would 1oz of liquid amino's like 20 mins before on an empty stomach before morning cardio prevent muscle catobolism??

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by need2Bbig
    Would 1oz of liquid amino's like 20 mins before on an empty stomach before morning cardio prevent muscle catobolism??

I doubt it would make any difference......doing cardio properly is really the BEST way to prevent catabolism. Stay within your target heart rate and eat properly the other 23 hours of the day and you should be just fine.

Thread Information