icewind is offline Associate Member

Fats, Carbs and Insulin Spike

Hey, guys,

Can someone please explain this to me: "If you are taking in fats when your insulin has been spiked, [...] you allow for a higher propensity for fat storage."

Fat should slow down the absorbtion, right? So, insulin spike should be less dramatic ?!?

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    Quote Originally Posted by icewind
    Hey, guys,

Can someone please explain this to me: "If you are taking in fats when your insulin has been spiked, [...] you allow for a higher propensity for fat storage." THATS TRUE

Fat should slow down the absorbtion, right? IT SLOWS DOWN THE APSORPTION OF PROTEIN So, insulin spike should be less dramatic ?!?NO IT WOULDN'T
    CAPS

Angelis is offline Banned
    Inulin is a Storage hormone so if you take Fats while the insulin is active it will be converted straight to fat and stored in there... usually at the Gut.

The same thing happens if u take too many carbs while the insulin is active, so watch what u eat.

baba_021 is offline Junior Member
    so for how long is the insulin active after a pro/carb meal?

decadbal is offline Banned
    i dont get the whole caps statement

manwithin is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    i dont get the whole caps statement
    His answers are in CAPS
    rocket science huh

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by manwithin
    His answers are in CAPS
    rocket science huh
    Ain't no need to be a smart-ass.

~SC~

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Simple carbs causes your blood sugar levels to rise significantly. Because your body strives to be in homeostasis 24/7, it detects this rise in blood sugar. The rise in blood sugar then sends a message to your pancreas to secrete insulin . The insulin shuttles whatever is in your bloodstream into cells, (muscle/fat). When you have eaten a fat meal with carbohydrates, you have fats floating around in your bloodstream. The body detects high blood sugar, releases insulin, shuttles the fat and sugar into your cells until normal blood sugar occurs (homeostasis). This increases your propensity for fat storage~

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    The insulin shuttles whatever is in your bloodstream into cells, (muscle/fat). When you have eaten a fat meal with carbohydrates, you have fats floating around in your bloodstream. ~
    this is a subject of great debate. However, i have read a few times that fat CAN NOT be transported by insulin , only amino acids and glucose.

I belive fat and carbs make you fat by seperate mechanisms. Too high insulin can turn glucose into triglcerides and that gets stuck on your gut.

I belive eating to much fat at one time can make you fat, say, more than 10- 20 grams per meal.

It is more complex then just "don't eat carbs and fats together" because then there is the question of what TYPES of fats are consumed. Saturated fats tend to decrease insulin sensitvity making you have to secrete more insulin to get the job done. Omega-3 fats on the other hand increase insulin sensitivty and may reduce the insulin spike when taken with carbs.

And yes, fats CAN slow down carbs leading to a less dramatic insulin spike. A study was done using fat free frozen yogurt and full fat ice cream. The study showed that the ice cream eaters had a lower insulin spike and the yogurt people had higher insulin spikes.

My advice to you is limit the fat to 10 grams on pro/carb meals and make sure the fats are not all saturated. Throw down a few fish oils, or drizzle some flax on it to even out the omega-3/omega-6 ratio.

peace.

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicBoy1981
    this is a subject of great debate. However, i have read a few times that fat CAN NOT be transported by insulin , only amino acids and glucose.

I belive fat and carbs make you fat by seperate mechanisms. Too high insulin can turn glucose into triglcerides and that gets stuck on your gut.

I belive eating to much fat at one time can make you fat, say, more than 10- 20 grams per meal.

It is more complex then just "don't eat carbs and fats together" because then there is the question of what TYPES of fats are consumed. Saturated fats tend to decrease insulin sensitvity making you have to secrete more insulin to get the job done. Omega-3 fats on the other hand increase insulin sensitivty and may reduce the insulin spike when taken with carbs.

And yes, fats CAN slow down carbs leading to a less dramatic insulin spike. A study was done using fat free frozen yogurt and full fat ice cream. The study showed that the ice cream eaters had a lower insulin spike and the yogurt people had higher insulin spikes.

My advice to you is limit the fat to 10 grams on pro/carb meals and make sure the fats are not all saturated. Throw down a few fish oils, or drizzle some flax on it to even out the omega-3/omega-6 ratio.

peace.

I don't know about truth of the first statement, I think you may be referring to ASP, which i don't know much about. I've read around 6 studies on this F+C subject, and the evidence is really mixed. One study indicated that the type of fat had no significant difference, but the others show that saturated fats are the only ones that are bad to combine with carbs. Anothe rstudy showed that all types of fats were bad with carbs (they used a lot of fat though). Another study indicated that fat loss was identical for two groups combing and separating fats and carbs, and calories were the only thing that really mattered. I don't think the whole separation of fats and carbs has moved past the testing of the theory stage. Based on what I have read though, it does not look like having a small amount of fat with carbs is going to do much negatively, as long as your calories are in order.
    If you are cutting and separating the two helps you reduce calories, then I would do it. If not, then it probably make sno difference.

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Ain't no need to be a smart-ass.

~SC~
    Wassup with the awatar Swole, it doesn't look like you?

Thread Information