randumb is offline Junior Member

Finally going to give bulking a shot... jump right in?

Stats: 176lbs, 6'2, bodyfat not good. I've been cutting for about a month to try and lose this beer belly (quit drinking a month ago too). Tomorrow I start bulking up. This will be the first time I've ever really tried to put on mass, because growing up as a fat kid, I was always trying to slim down.

I'm curious about increasing my calories. I did the BMI thing on the bulking sticky and it seems that I need about 3200 calories to bulk. So should I immediately start with that many calories? I honestly have no idea how my body is going to handle the extra intake, so maybe I should slowly increase my calories?

I planned out my diet and got everything calculated. 3200 calories, 400g protein (50% of total cals), 240g carbs (30%), and 71g fat (20%).

Also, I'm curious if it's okay to have most of my diet be the same foods. I've become addicted to drinking egg whites because of how convenient it is. I drink at least 12 a day. Would there be anything wrong with 18 or 24 a day? I also get all of my carbs from oatmeal. It's basically the only good source of carbs that I can stand to eat. I am a very picky eater, so when I find foods I can stand to eat constantly, I tend to stick with them.

Non-Diet question: I've always taken 5g creatine with my PWO shake. Since I'm trying to bulk up, should I take more and take some on off days as well?

Thanks in advance for any input.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by randumb
    Stats: 176lbs, 6'2, bodyfat not good. I've been cutting for about a month to try and lose this beer belly (quit drinking a month ago too). Tomorrow I start bulking up. This will be the first time I've ever really tried to put on mass, because growing up as a fat kid, I was always trying to slim down.

I'm curious about increasing my calories. I did the BMI thing on the bulking sticky and it seems that I need about 3200 calories to bulk. So should I immediately start with that many calories? I honestly have no idea how my body is going to handle the extra intake, so maybe I should slowly increase my calories?

I planned out my diet and got everything calculated. 3200 calories, 400g protein (50% of total cals), 240g carbs (30%), and 71g fat (20%).

Also, I'm curious if it's okay to have most of my diet be the same foods. I've become addicted to drinking egg whites because of how convenient it is. I drink at least 12 a day. Would there be anything wrong with 18 or 24 a day? I also get all of my carbs from oatmeal. It's basically the only good source of carbs that I can stand to eat. I am a very picky eater, so when I find foods I can stand to eat constantly, I tend to stick with them.

Non-Diet question: I've always taken 5g creatine with my PWO shake. Since I'm trying to bulk up, should I take more and take some on off days as well?

Thanks in advance for any input.

As for the calories......yes start around there and see how your body reacts.

For the egg white question, if that is the lean protein source from one of your meals then yes do it that way, that is fine. You might get bored eventually....and oatmeal is fine for your carb source however you might want to use something different for your PPWO meal. Again it is up to you.

If your bulking diet is clean enough, it is possible you could gain lean mass and drop a little fat at the same time. Just depends on how your body works and if your diet is on point......

Oh and just keep the creatine at the same levels. Just FYI creatine is not a good idea while cutting for the future

randumb is offline Junior Member
    I'm already bored with what I eat I just like the egg whites cause I can drink them down in a couple seconds as opposed to forcing myself to chew down some tuna for most of my protein.

As for the creatine, I've liked the results I've gotten. I wasn't really worried about bloat when I was cutting, and I noticed that I did gain a little strength when I started taking some after workouts. It seems to help my body recover a little better when dieting.

Thanks for the input.

Thread Information