cjp85 is offline Member

Calories from fiber-- Do they count???

A lot of products that I see that wear the low carb or no carb label say that it's safe to not include fiber as a carb because it doesn affect blood sugar. I also remember reading somewhere that fiber can't be digested entirely by the human body, so what I am getting at is, since you can exclude them from low carb diets is it ok to not include calories that come from fiber? Maybe I'm just being picky, but if I eat 35 grams of fiber ed, thats also 140 calories. Is it ok to not include fiber calories or do I have to count them?

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp85
    A lot of products that I see that wear the low carb or no carb label say that it's safe to not include fiber as a carb because it doesn affect blood sugar. I also remember reading somewhere that fiber can't be digested entirely by the human body, so what I am getting at is, since you can exclude them from low carb diets is it ok to not include calories that come from fiber? Maybe I'm just being picky, but if I eat 35 grams of fiber ed, thats also 140 calories. Is it ok to not include fiber calories or do I have to count them?

It doesn't count.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    though i would believe that fiber grams aren't counted in the overall calorie number because supposedly each food is tested for how many calories are in a serving...i could be totally wrong though....any one know about this?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Fiber has no caloric value because it is sh*t out of the body.

Sugar alcohols however do.

~SC~

longhornDr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    though i would believe that fiber grams aren't counted in the overall calorie number because supposedly each food is tested for how many calories are in a serving...i could be totally wrong though....any one know about this?
    Fiber is usually included in the total calorie count, which is a measure of the energy content of the food, not how much your body can actually use.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Fiber has no caloric value because it is sh*t out of the body.

Sugar alcohols however do.

~SC~
    THANK YOU....

GOD I used to go grocery shopping with my ex all the time, and i'd get my usual steaks, lean beef, chicken breasts, brown rice, etc...
    The market has a natural food section i hang around, lots of gluten free wheat based products, great non-processed stuff...But right around the corner is the fvcking slimfast, atkins, bullshlt section. My girl would hover around there reading all the nutrition labels like wow look, chocolate chip cookies, WOW 6 NET CARBS.
    And grab like 5 bags of them..i'd just laugh
    the rest would look like

serving size: 2 cookies
    fat 18 grams
    saturated fat 12 grams
    carbohydrates 32 grams
    Sugar 6 grams
    Sugar alcohols 22 grams
    Other carbs 4 grams
    Protein 4 grams

god i'm going to miss her

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    Fiber is usually included in the total calorie count, which is a measure of the energy content of the food, not how much your body can actually use.
    excellent...thank you for the info on this..i was unsure because a high fiber cereal like fiber one is listed as only 50 cals per serving (13g fiber) even though the total carb count is 27 plus trace grams of protein and fat making the actual number higher. i believe that they subtract the fiber calories on the label.

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    excellent...thank you for the info on this..i was unsure because a high fiber cereal like fiber one is listed as only 50 cals per serving (13g fiber) even though the total carb count is 27 plus trace grams of protein and fat making the actual number higher. i believe that they subtract the fiber calories on the label.
    I don't think this is true. From what I think I remember from a food science class I took, calories are measured first, then fat grams and protein grams. Anything leftover is determined to be carbohydrates. Besides, think about the fiber one example. If total carbs per serving is 27, subtract 13g fiber, that's 14g carbs. 14 x 4 (cals per gram) = 56. If they were counting the fiber, the calories would be listed at 108 cals (27 x 4) per serving.

Thread Information