Dmize9 is offline Associate Member

Effective Diet for Lowering BF%?

I wanetd to know if my current diet (& regimen) is effective for lowering BF%. I am not trying to strictly cut, but am looking to to increase muscle mass and lower BF% (yeah... I know, we have all herad that a million times). My diet is outlined below and is based upon a 4 day split of wieght training, and 3 days of AM empty stomach Cardio (60 mins @ target HR). Stats 5'7 - 5'8 180 lbs, estimate 13 - 15% BF.

Training Days:

Meal 1: Pre-workout Meal: 46 grams whey, 1/2 cup of oatmeal

PWO Meal: 6 Grams Creatine, 35 Grams Dextrose, 4 Scoops of Nlarge2

PPWO Meal: 8 Egg Whites, 2 Slices of dry whole wheat toast

Meal 4: Lunch: 12 - 16 oz's of grilled chicken, minimal amount of brown rice (at max 4 tablespoons full)

Meal 5: Snack: 8 oz's of 1% no salt added cottage cheese, on days when i am out of cottage cheese (rarely) I will substitute two grilled pork chops.

Meal 6: Dinner: 12 - 14 oz's lean meat. Either flank steak, grilled chicken, ground turkey meat (excess fat drained). I try to keep carbs out of this meal, but will sometimes use a whole wheat wrap when I have chicken.

Meal 7: Bedtime: 12 oz's of Atkins 2% Carb Countdown milk. 46 grams whey.

On AM Cardio days everything is the same except for the fact that there is no pre-workout meal, and my first meal an hour after cardio consist of 6 grams creatine, 35 grams dextrose, 46 grams whey, and a 1/2 cup of oatmeal.

The one thing that I feel that I am missing is essential fats. Based on this diet, I am not sure of when I should include the use of some Flaxseed oil or peanut butter.

Any feedaback on this diet's efectiveness for lowering BF would be greatly appreciated.

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmize9
    I wanetd to know if my current diet (& regimen) is effective for lowering BF%. I am not trying to strictly cut, but am looking to to increase muscle mass and lower BF% (yeah... I know, we have all herad that a million times). My diet is outlined below and is based upon a 4 day split of wieght training, and 3 days of AM empty stomach Cardio (60 mins @ target HR). Stats 5'7 - 5'8 180 lbs, estimate 13 - 15% BF.

Training Days:

Meal 4: Lunch: 12 - 16 oz's of grilled chicken, minimal amount of brown rice (at max 4 tablespoons full)

Meal 5: Snack: 8 oz's of 1% no salt added cottage cheese, on days when i am out of cottage cheese (rarely) I will substitute two grilled pork chops.

Meal 6: Dinner: 12 - 14 oz's lean meat. Either flank steak, grilled chicken, ground turkey meat (excess fat drained). I try to keep carbs out of this meal, but will sometimes use a whole wheat wrap when I have chicken.

On AM Cardio days everything is the same except for the fact that there is no pre-workout meal, and my first meal an hour after cardio consist of 6 grams creatine, 35 grams dextrose, 46 grams whey, and a 1/2 cup of oatmeal.

The one thing that I feel that I am missing is essential fats. Based on this diet, I am not sure of when I should include the use of some Flaxseed oil or peanut butter.

Any feedaback on this diet's efectiveness for lowering BF would be greatly appreciated.

This diet is totally off, take a look at the cutting sticky or here: http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=145876

Yeah.... but IMO, I'm not big enough for a strict cutter and would probably lose even more muscle if I'm not running anything while I cut..... and I don't want to be running anything right now.. I'm not looking to go like 8%..... probably 10 - 11% for now.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Cutting correctly is cutting correctly no matter how big you are.

If anything, the smaller you are the MORE IMPERATIVE it is that you cut correctly and strictly to AVOID losing what you DO have.

To each his own however.

~SC~

Thanks Slizzut.... but another thing that is that I workout in the morning... The diet posted in your thread is based upon an evening workout... that tends to throw things off.

Thanks Swole..... I've seen the sample cutting diets posted..... Do you have any advice how to tweak it based on an AM workout?

chuck89gt5.0 is offline Senior Member
    What is wrong with his diet? I mean just because it isnt the exact same diet as the sticky doesnt mean its not good. There is alot of lean protein in there, low carbs and good fats.......

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck89gt5.0
    What is wrong with his diet? I mean just because it isnt the exact same diet as the sticky doesnt mean its not good. There is alot of lean protein in there, low carbs and good fats.......

ummmm. lets see.... there is something wrong with every meal he has posted except maybe his first meal.....and it can be argued that you shouldnt eat carbs pre workout while cutting

Quote Originally Posted by chuck89gt5.0
    Oh really, I must have missed the good fats because they aren't appearing on my screen.

If you don't see what's wrong w/his diet, then don't suggest it's totally fine just because it doesn't mirror the sticky.

It could be totally different from the sticky and be fine, but such is not the case here, hence him needing to read the sticky for some good general guidelines to apply to his approach.

Assist, don't mediate.

~SC~

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Definitely needs work............

I like that SC. "Assist, don't mediate"

I'm going to have to use that one sometime

Go for it, it's highly applicable in many places nowadays!

I love how people are quick to say it's totally fine (when it's not first and foremost) but then not offer any insight as to why it's fine. (other than it's a good approach even though it's not like the cutting sticky) I'm not flaming, just stating what I see.

I mean, do YOU see healthy fats in there? I barely see any fat........any...

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Go for it, it's highly applicable in many places nowadays!

I love how people are quick to say it's totally fine (when it's not first and foremost) but then not offer any insight as to why it's fine. (other than it's a good approach even though it's not like the cutting sticky) I'm not flaming, just stating what I see.

I mean, do YOU see healthy fats in there? I barely see any fat........any...

~SC~

I see almost no fat in that diet at all..... definitely needs to swap some meals around and add some EFA's to the mix.

chuck89gt5.0 is offline Senior Member
    I never said it was "fine" I asked what is wrong with it. I dont know about you guys but most of my meats all have fat in them. If he were to add some efa's in there I dont think the diet would be that bad. No he doesnt have a whole lot of fat in there i agree, but that can be changed pretty easy. I wouldnt say its a horrible diet....

Ok i'm going to give a stab at this even though you are training in the morning.

CAPS...

Training Days:

MAKE THIS PRO/FAT .. THE CARBS WILL HAVE NO EFFECT IN YOUR WORKOUT ENERGY WISE.

1 HOUR LATER..

USE REGULAR WHEY, NO N-LARGE2

45-60 MINS LATER...

EGG WHITES ARE GOOD (YOU SHOULD ADD MORE THOUGH BECAUSE EACH EGG WHITE = 3g OF PROTEIN), TRY TO SWAP THE TOAST WITH SWEET TATOES, BROWN RICE ETC..

2-3 HOURS LATER

MAKE THIS PRO/FAT.. YOUR FAT CAN BE: FLAX OIL, OLIVE OIL, ALMONDS, NATTY PB, FULL FAT MAYO etc..

2-3 HOURS LATER

YOU SHOULD BE GETTING MORE PROTEIN/FAT IN THIS MEAL AS WELL.

2-3 HOURS LATER

AGAIN, PRO/FAT.

2-3 HOURS LATER

HAVE YOUR WHEY IN WATER, AND ADD SOME FLAX HERE..
    PRO/FAT

ABOUT AN HOUR LATER, HIT THE SACK

Make sure you are averaging at LEAST 40 grams of protein per meal. I wouldn't go over 60 grams either.

Anyways thats what I think, goodluck.

charlieuk is offline Junior Member

Training Days:

OK,

I also train in the morning and I have read the sticky.....that doesn't mean I know **** about dieting, but this is what I came up with and have been having reasonable results with.....

Weight Training Days

Meal 1
    50g Oats, 1 sliced banana, mixed with 1 protein shake

Post Workout Shake
    50g protein, 50g Dex, 50g Malto-Dex

Post Workout Meal
    50g Brown Rice, Chicken breasts x2, lots broccoli

Meal 4
    Salmon steak, Brocoli, LF cottage cheese

Meal 5
    Turkey Steak,Asparagus,Natural Peanut Butter

Meal 6
    Either Protein shake and flaxseed oil, or lots of LF cottage cheese and almonds.

NON LIFTING DAYS (cardio days)

Meal 1
    8 egg whites with grated full fat cheese

Meal 2
    turkey steak, brocoli, cottage cheese , flaxseed oil

Meal 3
    Protein Shake, Flaxseed Oil

Meal 4
    50g Brown rice, 2 tins tuna ( in spring water)

Meal 5
    Either Protein shake and flaxseed oil, or lots of LF cottage cheese and almonds.

What I hope I learn't from the sticky is...

Don't mix carbs and fat
    Eat protein with EFA's
    Veg don't count towards carb count.
    Only eat carbs post workout, and pre workout if you feel you need to ..I do
    On non training days....I have only one carb meal...never after 4pm

If this is not correct I'm sure someone will soon let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk
    OK,

I also train in the morning and I have read the sticky.....that doesn't mean I know **** about dieting, but this is what I came up with and have been having reasonable results with.....

Weight Training Days

Meal 1
    50g Oats, 1 sliced banana, mixed with 1 protein shake

Post Workout Shake
    50g protein, 50g Dex, 50g Malto-Dex

Post Workout Meal
    50g Brown Rice, Chicken breasts x2, lots broccoli

Meal 4
    Salmon steak, Brocoli, LF cottage cheese

Meal 5
    Turkey Steak,Asparagus,Natural Peanut Butter

Meal 6

NON LIFTING DAYS (cardio days)

Meal 1
    8 egg whites with grated full fat cheese

Meal 2
    turkey steak, brocoli, cottage cheese , flaxseed oil

Meal 3
    Protein Shake, Flaxseed Oil

Meal 4
    50g Brown rice, 2 tins tuna ( in spring water)

Meal 5

What I hope I learn't from the sticky is...

Don't mix carbs and fat
    Eat protein with EFA's
    Veg don't count towards carb count.
    Only eat carbs post workout, and pre workout if you feel you need to ..I do
    On non training days....I have only one carb meal...never after 4pm

If this is not correct I'm sure someone will soon let me know!

Why are you having oats in your first meal? It isn't going to give you energy for lifting. The only effective way to have the low GI carbs help you in that situation is having them 4-6 hours prior to your workout.

charlieuk is offline Junior Member
    Why are you having oats in your first meal? It isn't going to give you energy for lifting. The only effective way to have the low GI carbs help you in that situation is having them 4-6 hours prior to your workout.

Well I take them an hour an a half before I go to the gym and I was under the impression, possibly wrongly, that it was long enough to give me some energy, if you are telling me that it isn;t then i will take them out.

What about the rest of it.......I don't want to highjack the thread, but seeing as we are aiming at the same goals.....

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk

Well I take them an hour an a half before I go to the gym and I was under the impression, possibly wrongly, that it was long enough to give me some energy, if you are telling me that it isn;t then i will take them out.

What about the rest of it.......I don't want to highjack the thread, but seeing as we are aiming at the same goals.....

Well your diet isnt' bad except you don't need to be having fruit and your carbs should only be coming in PWO and PPWO.

However on cardio only days you can take in a low GI carb 45-60 mins after your cardio and the rest of your meals pro/fat.

Thanks for the help Slizzut.... this sounds good. Just one other question, while cutting should I expect to see a big loss of wieght (on the scale), or based on my stats (5,8 180 13 - 15% BF) only about 10lbs or so?

skribbble is offline Member
    WHen i cut i dont lose that much weight. I weigh 190 and about 59" with about 10% body fat. I lost about 5 lbs when i cut but you can definatly see a enormous difference in the mirror

good..... I don't really want to drop that much in weight.

Another question... What is the reccommended amount of flaxseed to be consumed with a Pro/Fat meal???... and are the capsules any good??

Capsules suck being that you have to take 10-20 of them per dose, depending on your personal needs.

Amounts of flaxseed or any macro will again be dependent upon your personal needs.

~SC~

L-carnatine is offline Banned

Exclamation creatine

is creatine good while cutting specialy if its a low sugar creatine and low carb creatine like 5g of each it made my betancourt nutrition or just a pure creatine mixed with water and teaspoon of sugar

Quote Originally Posted by L-carnatine
    is creatine good while cutting specialy if its a low sugar creatine and low carb creatine like 5g of each it made my betancourt nutrition or just a pure creatine mixed with water and teaspoon of sugar

At 5g a day it will help with the strength loss that some get while cutting.

Arrow slizzut i got a ?

Quote Originally Posted by slizzut
    This diet is totally off, take a look at the cutting sticky or here: http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=145876
    on that fourum the diet plan you put up it will work if i eat pwo after my cardio becasue i have to do everything at once cuz of my schedual and in some cases i might have to go to the gym by the night after meal 5 so what can i do???

when should i take the 5g of creatine...... what would be a good creatine or the betancourt nutrition would be good (5g sugar it contains)

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Dmize9]

QUOTE]

whey is not a good pre-bed protein... it absorbes extremely fast, and is only available for about 3 hours... which is why it is great post workout, because it absorbes fast, and the faster u get protein to the muscles postworkout the better... switch that with micellular casien or milk protein... or you could do a meal replacement such as instone's new mrp (that has 5 dif proteins in it, cla, and efa's... great pre bed shake... plus it tastes awesome)... you want dif proteins because dif proteins absorbe at dif rates... u should have a shake with some whey, egg, milk, and micellular... or a combo of at least three of those... and if it has others that is fine... if you wanna minimize the catabolized muscle proteins during when you sleep, you need to switch the protein source before bed.... good luck

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    take kre-alkalyn creatine man... 2-3 g a day... u can get kre-alkalyn pills made by sci fit for really cheap... kre-alkalyn is the best form of creatine because it doesnt break down in any solution... it is a buffered creatine monohydrate... it is cheap too because you don't need as much of it... regular monohydrate breaks down into creatinine in liquids... most of it is rendered useless... kre-alkalyn doesn't do that... so it is better because you get a lot more creatine to the muscles... runs about 15 bones a month bro... try that out... it gives you real good endurance in the gym...

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    [QUOTE=EatRite]

QUOTE]

whey is not a good pre-bed protein... it absorbes extremely fast, and is only available for about 3 hours... which is why it is great post workout, because it absorbes fast, and the faster u get protein to the muscles postworkout the better... switch that with micellular casien or milk protein... or you could do a meal replacement such as instone's new mrp (that has 5 dif proteins in it, cla, and efa's... great pre bed shake... plus it tastes awesome)... you want dif proteins because dif proteins absorbe at dif rates... u should have a shake with some whey, egg, milk, and micellular... or a combo of at least three of those... and if it has others that is fine... if you wanna minimize the catabolized muscle proteins during when you sleep, you need to switch the protein source before bed.... good luck

If he ingests an EFA such as flax w/ his whey shake that will slow down the absorption and this makes a good night time meal before bed.

thanks

thanks for the creatiene source i should take this obviously with the PWO shake of 1/3 dextrose 1 scoop whey.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    If he ingests an EFA such as flax w/ his whey shake that will slow down the absorption and this makes a good night time meal before bed.
    Exactly... fat slows gastric emptying

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Exactly... fat slows gastric emptying
    So does constipation!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    So does constipation!

~SC~

eeewwwwwww

We need to get a constipated smilie