xfade7 is offline Member

Waking up to eat

Would it be beneficial to wake up to drink a protein shake at about 3:00 am.. I have a shake before bed at 10:30 and then wake up and have another at 7:40 or so.

Would this be a good idea? i'm trying to increase my protein intake as much as possible and other times of day arent as easy as this one. thanks

xfade7

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    There are people that swear by it.

IMO, it is a waste (unless your already awake). Muscle growth happens mostly when you are sleeping. So why would you want to get woken up from a deep sleep to suck down 40g of protein?? Not worth it IMO.

D

xfade7 is offline Member
    I would only be awake for 5 minutes, i get back to sleep fast, plus this is about the time that i would be getting up to take a piss anyways.

If your up anyways, then I would say go for it.

Been a long time since I took Biology but there are three stages of sleep. The third is the deep sleep and it is when you grow the most. Usually stages one and two are not 5-10 minutes long....Your basically losing at least one hours sleep.

Ever notice that if you sleep soundly through the night without any interuption that you feel much better in the morning as compared to if you are woken in the middle of the night for some reason? (Even if it is only for five minutes?)

I'm not trying to talk you out of the shake bro. Just giving you my $.02

D

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    if you go to bed at 10:30 and wake up at 7:40 thats over 9 hours of sleep which is plenty for growth. so yea wake up and down the shake and some flax

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Just make the shake and keep it in the fridge, so you can gulp it back quick.

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    ok i misread what you were saying......

xfade7 is offline Member
    getbig888 i get roughly 8 1/2 hours of sleep a night. i would say i get a minimum of 7 1/2 on my worst days.. sometimes 9... of course i get alot more on weekends..

heres how it goes, shake at 10:30, sleep at either 10:30 or 11:00... wake up at either 7:10 or 7:20.. shake at 7:40...

if that helps you at all.

i do get a ton of sleep.
    ---------------------
    on a side note to diesel, it is to my understanding that bodybuilders sleep in 1-3 hour increments throughout the day, not getting a full nights sleep like most of us do daily.
    (this is just what i've seen through certain bodybuilders and such i dont know if its universal).

so if they couldnt get good growth through that, why wouldnt they just sleep for 12 hours at night instead of 1-3 hour increments throughout the day?

thanks

xfade7

Quote Originally Posted by xfade7
    on a side note to diesel, it is to my understanding that bodybuilders sleep in 1-3 hour increments throughout the day, not getting a full nights sleep like most of us do daily.
    (this is just what i've seen through certain bodybuilders and such i dont know if its universal).

so if they couldnt get good growth through that, why wouldnt they just sleep for 12 hours at night instead of 1-3 hour increments throughout the day?

thanks

xfade7
    I have read plenty about them taking naps during the day. However, I have never read that they sleep in ONLY 1-3 hour intervals. That would mean:

sleep: 8pm
    awake: 11pm
    sleep: 2am
    awake:5am

on and on............

xfade7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    I have read plenty about them taking naps during the day. However, I have never read that they sleep in ONLY 1-3 hour intervals. That would mean:

sleep: 8pm
    awake: 11pm
    sleep: 2am
    awake:5am

on and on............

http://www.jaycutler.com/sub/nutrition.htm --- i know this is just one bodybuilder, but a good one -- 3 time arnold classic champion and 2nd place mr. o a few times as well...

it doesnt list if he sleeps a consecutive number of hours at night, but if he did.. why wouldnt he just sleep longer instead of naps? j/w.. thanks for the help

xfade7

I don't see anything about sleep on that website. Maybe I'm missing it.

Naps are during the day bro. Without a doubt, a good percentage of them may wake up in the middle of the night and suck down a shake. While some do, some don't.

It's not for me. Like I said before, I'm not trying to talk you out of the shake. Just giving you my opinion.

xfade7 is offline Member
    yes i know, i'm in this to learn stuff man.. getting opinions, finding out facts.. what works best for people.. thats the point of it for me--to grow.

well, it was down below on that page.. it doesnt say nap it says sleep.. ill post here just for ease.

New, Improved & Beyond: Off Season Diet

This was my off season diet. I began this on March 24, 2004 at a weight of 287 lbs and ended it on August 6, 2004 at a very lean weight of 297 lbs. I am very satisfied with the accomplishes that I have achieved this off season.
    Meal 1:12 eggs (2 whole), 1 bagel, 1 cup oats, 1 cup of black coffee, 1 serving NITRO-TECH plus supplements.
    Meal 2:10 ounces of beef, 2 cups of rice & 1 cup of asparagus.
    Train:In the off season I workout 4 times a week, devoting 1 1/2 - 2 hours to weights plus 30 minutes to cardio.
    Meal 3:NITRO-TECH & CELL-TECH immediately after training!!
    Meal 4:10 ounces of beef, 2 cups of rice & 1 cup of asparagus.
    Sleep:1 hour.
    Meal 5:15 egg whites, 1 cup of oats & 3 rice cakes (15 carbs each).
    Meal 6:MESO-TECH shake with 1 scoop of NITRO-TECH added.
    Sleep:1 1/2 to 3 hours.
    Meal 7:10 ounces of beef & 1 cup of asparagus.
    Meal 8:Sushi (3-4 rolls: Yellowtail / Crab / Tuna / Shrimp)
    Meal 9:12 eggs (2 whole) & 1 cup oats.
    Sleep:2 hours.
    Meal 10:NITRO-TECH with Kerry's special fat free oatmeal cookie recipe (5-6 cookies).
    Sleep:2 1/2 hours.
    Meal 11:10 ounces of beef, 1 cup oats plus supplements.
    Note:I drink 1/3 to 1/2 gallon of water or sugar free Tang (orange flavor) with each meal.

xfade7

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xfade7
    yes i know, i'm in this to learn stuff man.. getting opinions, finding out facts.. what works best for people.. thats the point of it for me--to grow.

well, it was down below on that page.. it doesnt say nap it says sleep.. ill post here just for ease.

New, Improved & Beyond: Off Season Diet

This was my off season diet. I began this on March 24, 2004 at a weight of 287 lbs and ended it on August 6, 2004 at a very lean weight of 297 lbs. I am very satisfied with the accomplishes that I have achieved this off season.
    Meal 1:12 eggs (2 whole), 1 bagel, 1 cup oats, 1 cup of black coffee, 1 serving NITRO-TECH plus supplements.
    Meal 2:10 ounces of beef, 2 cups of rice & 1 cup of asparagus.
    Train:In the off season I workout 4 times a week, devoting 1 1/2 - 2 hours to weights plus 30 minutes to cardio.
    Meal 3:NITRO-TECH & CELL-TECH immediately after training!!
    Meal 4:10 ounces of beef, 2 cups of rice & 1 cup of asparagus.
    Sleep:1 hour.
    Meal 5:15 egg whites, 1 cup of oats & 3 rice cakes (15 carbs each).
    Meal 6:MESO-TECH shake with 1 scoop of NITRO-TECH added.
    Sleep:1 1/2 to 3 hours.
    Meal 7:10 ounces of beef & 1 cup of asparagus.
    Meal 8:Sushi (3-4 rolls: Yellowtail / Crab / Tuna / Shrimp)
    Meal 9:12 eggs (2 whole) & 1 cup oats.
    Sleep:2 hours.
    Meal 10:NITRO-TECH with Kerry's special fat free oatmeal cookie recipe (5-6 cookies).
    Sleep:2 1/2 hours.
    Meal 11:10 ounces of beef, 1 cup oats plus supplements.
    Note:I drink 1/3 to 1/2 gallon of water or sugar free Tang (orange flavor) with each meal.

xfade7

hahaha I love the added in Nitro-tech stuff at meals, classic

xfade7 is offline Member
    just for anyone who wants to knwo for future reference, jay cutler recommends waking up throughout the night to eat.. doesnt mean its neccesarily best for all... to each his own..

xfade7

HammerCurler is offline Associate Member
    I have the bladder of a small child so now that I have a shake right before bed I am always waking up at 4-5am in the morning to take a leak.

I'll be downing a shake as well

Thread Information