HammerCurler is offline Associate Member

Instead of brown rice??

My friend is starting to work out and get his diet in order (as am I). His problem is that he absolutely hates rice. What is a carb he could use in place of brown rice? I know oatmeal in the morning, but obviously he isn't going to want to eat oatmeal all day long.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, HC.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Oatmeal like you said is good, also wheat bread. One thing he could try is putting a chicken or beef bullion cube in the water when making rice, makes it taste SO much better... You'll obviously have to cut this out after awhile cuz it has quite a bit of sodium

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    I can't stand brown rice either, just becuase it always comes out pasty when I make it. Try whole wheat bread, whole-wheat pasta, grits, and sweet potatoes.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    taters, sweet taters. whole wheat pasta is good if bulking. oats aint that great for PWO b/c the fiber slows down digestion of protein

DCB

1morerep is offline Associate Member
    how r u preparing your rice, in a steamer? mine always comes out perfect. add some onions, muchrooms, small pieces of chicken breast and some plum sauce, yummy.

dan476 is offline New Member
    could I use white rice instead of brown?

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dan476
    could I use white rice instead of brown?

Yes

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    PWO white rice is great. Stiry fry up some teryaki(sp?) chicken with onions, peppers, and mushrooms, and lay it on a bed of white rice... **** good!!

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Sweet potatoes

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    Wholemeal pasta.

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerCurler
    My friend is starting to work out and get his diet in order (as am I). His problem is that he absolutely hates rice. What is a carb he could use in place of brown rice? I know oatmeal in the morning, but obviously he isn't going to want to eat oatmeal all day long.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, HC.

what are your goals??? to bulk or lean out???

brown rice is good because it is relatively low on the glycemic index... around 58... white rice is 88... the reason brown rice is good is because it doesnt cause the release of insulin as much as white... if you are leaning out, brown rice, oats, whole grains, wheats, etc are good because their energy is not used as quickly by the body, and it is slower absorbing because of the fiber that comes with it... if you are bulking white rice is fine, but if you want to stay lean and bulk... brown rice, wheats, whole grains, etc... all day long except for the 4 hrs postworkout.. then you should eat the white rices and white breads, etc... because high g.i. carbs are better for you postworkout than low g.i. carbs... the reason for this is because after you workout, your body can store 300% more glucose inside the muscle cell... if you force glucose in the cell, it will teach your body to store more in the cells, increasing your workout capacity in the gym as well as decreasing muscle protein breakdown...

Thread Information