Thread: Olive vs. Flax

Receiver84 is offline Associate Member

Olive vs. Flax

There's been a lot of talk lately about Flax tasting bad. I have to admit, I'm taking it 2-3 times a day and I never look forward to my next dose. I just suck it up and swallow. Olive isn't as bad to me.
    What is the advantage to using Flax over Olive oil for your EFA intake. (Tried to search but found nothing)

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    For me it pretty much boils down to switching it up as of course the body runs on homeostasis or in english; likes to keep balance.

That is why alot of people switch up their total Kcals from time to time to keep the body guessing so to speak. I am assuming this is the same reason for mxing your EFAs up in your dietary approach.

I personally do not have a problem with the taste of flax, **** man its gotta be done so i just do it.

GQSuperman is offline Banned

i believe

one has higher omega 3 vs 6

jbone30 is offline Associate Member
    By Peter Jaret
    WebMD Medical News

May 19, 2000 -- Robert Vogel, MD, tested the effects of three different meals on a group of 10 volunteers who had normal cholesterol levels. One meal consisted of canola oil and bread. Another was olive oil and bread. The third meal was a piece of salmon. All three meals contained 50 grams of fat.

But their effect on blood vessels was very different. Before and again three hours after each meal, Vogel's team measured constriction of the volunteers' arteries. Sharp constriction can injure the inner lining of blood vessels, according to Vogel.

The arteries didn't constrict much after the salmon meal. After the meal containing canola oil, they constricted slightly, reducing blood flow by 11%. After the olive oil and bread combination, however, blood flow plummeted 34% -- exactly the effect that Vogel had seen in previous research after volunteers ate a Big Mac with fries.

The Hidden Culprit

Vogel believes the culprits in olive oil are the omega-9 fatty acids that make up most of the oil. These fatty acids seem to cause blood vessels to constrict. Omega-3 fatty acids, in contrast -- the same kind found in fish oil, and the ones added to canola oil -- don't appear to have this effect. What's that got to do with heart disease? "When
    blood vessels constrict, their lining, called the endothelium, may be injured," says Vogel. "Repeated injuries can add up to a higher risk of coronary heart disease." What's more, in people with diabetes, which typically causes damage to blood vessel linings, the effect of olive oil could worsen an already dangerous condition, Vogel says.

Thread Information