AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member

How much casein can you take before bed without getting fat?

Im doing a lean bulk right now.
    I just bought 2 tubs of casein. I have only been taking 2 scoops(44 g) before bed..but perhaps i should take more. I figure 44 grams might not be enough.

Think about it: Casein takes 8 hours to fully digest. 44g divided by 8 is 5.5, so that means im getting 5.5 grams of protien every hour, which means only 11 grams per 2 hours, which doesn't seem very anti catabolic to me. Since i like to get 40+ grams per meal to grow during waking hours, every 2 hours, perhaps 4 scoops(88g) would be better since i then would be getting about 22g per 2 hours, which is half of what i eat in a meal to grow, so that should be enough to stop muscle breakdown right? Or would that make me fat? Or should i go even higher? I mean, theoretically the stuff breaks down so slow you could take 100grams or more and not get fat right?

Also, since fat in a last meal as well as carbs lower GH output at night, i have not been taking the casien with anyfat. I fgure its slow enough and doesnt need fat, so why interfere with GH pulses.

what you guys think?

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    First off no Casein protein actually lasts for 8 hours......

As for the question, yes include a fat with it. What are the nutrition values though as far as the Casein protein go? How much fat and carbs are in each serving..... depending on what else is in it will depend on what you should add with it. Me personally, I use a shake w/ flax before bed.

its 22grams of protein per serving, 3 carbs, 2 sugars.

So is casein more like 5 hours then?

xfade7 is offline Member
    i take 40 g casein, 10 g whey.. with 1 tbsp of flax before bed.. i also get up about 4-5 hours later and have another one (about the time i gotta piss).

xfade7

Quote Originally Posted by xfade7
    i take 40 g casein, 10 g whey.. with 1 tbsp of flax before bed.. i also get up about 4-5 hours later and have another one (about the time i gotta piss).

xfade7
    I see. Is it true that watever protiens you take with casein get digested as slow as casein because of how long it takes to digest it. Like, the whey gets slowed down by the casein right? Or do you take the whey so you get several grams of protien into your bloodstream right away?

xfade7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicBoy1981
    I see. Is it true that watever protiens you take with casein get digested as slow as casein because of how long it takes to digest it. Like, the whey gets slowed down by the casein right? Or do you take the whey so you get several grams of protien into your bloodstream right away?
    Hmm, never heard of that.. not quite sure. I do it so i get several grams in my bloodstream, and have a slow digestion through the night.

i'd be interested to find out if it does slow down, i doubt it.

xfade7

Thread Information