Receiver84 is offline Associate Member

Am I wasting protien

Hey guys,

I'm 6' 1" - 213lbs and I'm currently clean bulking.
    After my 4th meal of the day (around 3pm) I was up to 228 grams of protein. This doesn't include the proteins from oats and items like that as they aren't that usable I believe (only meat, nuts, shakes, beads). I still have 3 more meals planned, each containing roughly 50 more grams of quality protein. With my stats, am I wasting protien by consuming 378 grams or more in a day or should I keep it to between 1 and 1.5 grams per lb.
    If more details are need about the diet I'll be happy to provide.

BIGp4 is offline Associate Member
    whats ur diet like man?

seanw is offline Banned
    I think the consensus is 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight per day. At your weight thats about 319 grams. So 378 isnt really that much of a waste. Personally I would rather get way too much than not enough.
    Last edited by seanw; 02-18-2005 at 08:23 PM.

longhornDr is offline Member
    It depends on what you mean by wasting protein. The main (and often overlooked/misunderstood) reason that high protein diets are effective for cutting is the high metabolic cost of converting all the protein you eat into glucose.

Only a fraction of the protein that you eat is used for protein synthesis (roughly .8 grams per kilogram) the rest is converted to glucose in a calorie deficit. This is an ineffcient process which increases your metabolic rate leading to an enhanced calorie deficit.

So I wouldnt say you are wasting it as long as your total calories are still on target, the protein is serving to keep your metabolism high and enhance fat loss.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    if your meals are spread out, you should be fine.

plus you have to count the gylcogen you used during your training and replace that too

Thread Information