icewind is offline Associate Member

Maltodextrin / Dextrose High Glycemic ?!?

I'm looking at this N-Large weight gainer from Prolab and it has 86 carbs per serving (28 from frustose and the rest from maltodextrin)

There is something I don't understand...Maltodextrin and Dextrose are very high glycemic (equivalent of glucose and pure sugar!!), so...why do people use that in thier diets ???

Won't that make you fat as hell ???

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    basically u use em pwo with a ratio of 2:1 carbs/protein they replenish ur glycogen even if ur on a cutting diet they wont make u fat when used correctly

Wilderbeast is offline New Member
    N-Large "weight" gainer not N-Large "muscle" gainer
    Even the title gives it away

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    maybe hes an ecto and if it has umm 43 gm of protein smth close to that number he can use it pwo

joevette is offline Banned
    Dextrose is as high glycemic as pure sugar, but maltodextrin is low glycemic, a complex carb.

Wilderbeast is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joevette
    Dextrose is as high glycemic as pure sugar, but maltodextrin is low glycemic, a complex carb.
    Maltodextrin is very high glycemic ( Weak Bonds ) and Dextrose is pure sugar. Table sugar which i presume you mean by "pure sugar" is one to one glucose and fructose so is lower than dex.
    Widers

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderbeast
    Maltodextrin is very high glycemic ( Weak Bonds ) and Dextrose is pure sugar. Table sugar which i presume you mean by "pure sugar" is one to one glucose and fructose so is lower than dex.
    Widers
    My tub of maltodextrin says "100% complex Carbohydrate", complex carbs are not high glycemic.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joevette
    My tub of maltodextrin says "100% complex Carbohydrate", complex carbs are not high glycemic.
    it's not extremely high glycemic, but it's not exactly low glycemic either...it's somewhere in the middle. some people recommend using a 1:1 ratio of dex:maltodextrin for their PWO carbs because it allows a supply of very high GI and more moderate GI carbs.

personally, i stick with pure dextrose (and of course whey) in my PWO shake.

ice, to answer your question - dextrose (and maltodextrin, to some extent) are used post-workout (PWO) to replenish muscle glycogen. immediately after a workout, your body will soak up those carbs for just that purpose. the reason dextrose is recommended, is that it replenishes muscle glycogen, whereas fructose (fruit sugars - also found in table sugar to some extent) preferentially replenishes liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen, and the excess is stored as fat.

using dextrose pwo - you will not store it as fat...don't worry.

any other time of the day IMHO, would be a poor time to use that...especially NLarge, etc.

wired-up is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderbeast
    N-Large "weight" gainer not N-Large "muscle" gainer
    Even the title gives it away
    exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by cb25
    it's not extremely high glycemic, but it's not exactly low glycemic either...it's somewhere in the middle. some people recommend using a 1:1 ratio of dex:maltodextrin for their PWO carbs because it allows a supply of very high GI and more moderate GI carbs.
    Right, maltodextrin has a lower glycemic index than dextrose but still not super low. But look at what are reccomended as the best complex carb sources: oats, brown rice, and yams. Brown rice has a Glycemic index of something like 79, while things like apples and lentiles(sp?) have a much lower GI. So, while malto may be somewhat high it is still close to the big three, brown rice, oats, and yams. You can't get the GI of your main carb sources too low or they will be all fiber.

Thread Information