AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member

Is glycogen accumulation possible through gluconeogenesis?

As we know when carbs are restricted, the body will convert appromiximatly 45% of protein intake to glucose(gluconeogenesis), So basically if you are eating under 100 grams of carbs a day your body will do this.

Gluconeogenesis can also occur in muscle tissue when food intake is too low or body stresses are great, or both.

Question is....if enough protein was taken in, say 500g minimum, would any of the glucose created from it be stored as glycogen? And if it was, could i just eat 700g of protein and get enough glycogen from it?
    (And yes, i could eat that much protein no problem, just down 100g per sitting)

If this works, we wouldn't have t complicate our life with carbs, unless you really like carbs, which i do too, but i think it would be easier just to have a whole bunch of meat and eggs lyin around, ya know?

All glycogen is made from glucose, so naturaly is you body is running low on glucose (becuase of a fast, or carb restriction) the last thing you body wants to do is make glycogen, becuase that would further reduce blood glucose. That is why glucagon stimulates glucogeogenisis, inhibits glycogen formation, and stimulates glycogenolysis. It all makes sense because the body is trying to stabalize glucose levels.

So the first point is....no glycogen during a carb fast.

During any extended carb fast (and starvation as well), glycogen goes to zero (it takes about 30 hours) while blood glucose is maintained at 65mg/dl and can stay at 65mg/dl (normal is from 85-100mg/dl) indefintily as long as you are eating fat or protien or if you are not eating, as long as you have fat stores left. Which segways into point 2...

Your body doesnt need glycogen.

You wont die from eating only protien but your kidneys wont thank you. Additionaly if you plan on building muscle insulin is the most potent muscle builder your body has unless you are juicing, and even then insulin makes the AS more effective. That is why you see high GI carbs in people post workout drinks. They are spiking their insulin.

What a 600g a day of protien diet is is basiacly very a expensive atkins diet.
    And becuase of the lack on insulin, it is not the diet of choice for lifters.

Also, glycogen is not made in the muscle, its stored there, made in the liver ^.~

Hope this helps ^_^
    Last edited by BrokenBricks; 02-25-2005 at 06:12 PM.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    interesting. good info bricks!

longhornDr is offline Member
    [QUOTE=BrokenBricks]
    Also, glycogen is not made in the muscle, its stored there, made in the liver ^.~

QUOTE]

Glycogen is made in the liver and in muscle....glycogen cannot be transported in the blood...

Liver glycogen and muscle glycogen are seperate entities and are regulated differently, seems common for people to mangle these concepts. Introductory biochem books dont make the distinction clear.

The OP has the right idea....if you are eating low carbs the glucose from protein cannot be stored as liver glycogen but it can be stored as muscle glycogen, your muscle glycogen will just be lower than someone eating high carbs.

I checked and Longhorn is right. Its synthesized in both places and glucagon has no effect on glycogen break down in muscle. I hate being wrong ^_^
    but thanks Longhorn, i learned something.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=longhornDr]
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenBricks

QUOTE]

Glycogen is made in the liver and in muscle....glycogen cannot be transported in the blood...

Liver glycogen and muscle glycogen are seperate entities and are regulated differently, seems common for people to mangle these concepts. Introductory biochem books dont make the distinction clear.

The OP has the right idea....if you are eating low carbs the glucose from protein cannot be stored as liver glycogen but it can be stored as muscle glycogen, your muscle glycogen will just be lower than someone eating high carbs.
    GJ with the correction! Liver glycogen has more effect on T4-T3 conversion ratios, as well as other liver functions, while having no effect on skeletal musculature!

Thread Information