gettin swolle is offline Junior Member

When to have PWO after weights+cardio?

Hey fellas, Ive searched around and I think I got the answer but just want to confirm it before using it.

On days that I only do weights I have a PWO shake with carbs+protein immediately after training. But on days when I do cardio after weights, should I have the PWO shake immediately afterwards or wait bout 40 min before having it? And if I wait that long, will it hurt my recovery process?
    I cant do cardio right in the morning, so after weights is my only option.

thanks!!

no carbs after cardio...drink it without the dex after cardio. If you wait 45 minutes after weights, you will miss the window.

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    no cardio after weights.

Quote Originally Posted by gettin swolle
    I cant do cardio right in the morning, so after weights is my only option.

thanks!!

Why? I get up at 4:30AM to do an hour of cardio. It can be done. You just have to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast All Star
    no carbs after cardio...drink it without the dex after cardio. If you wait 45 minutes after weights, you will miss the window.
    Ok- so only protein after cardio session, no carbs. So when do I get in the dex? Or just have a meal instead about 1 hr later after cardio?

Ok- so only protein after cardio session, no carbs. So when do I get in the dex? Or just have a meal instead about 1 hr later after cardio?

You gotta have a PWO shake, period. You have a limited time period where your body is very open to taking in proteins. If you're gonna do dex, do your cardio in the AM and have a pro/dex shake within 10 mins of finishing weights. It took me 10 years to commit to doing cardio in the morning. That is just the best thing for your body and you will get more out of your supps.

bro, never have only protein......... never cardio after weight training if you want to take advantage of what you just did in the gym....... never skip pwo supplementation

if you can't cardio in the morning.. try cardio sometime other than workouts! example 3 hours after one of your pro/fat meals

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by getbig888
    no cardio after weights.

~SC~

oh bull****, I know plenty of guys that do cardio right after weights and have no trouble winning shows or at least placing top 3. I think am cardio is good if it doesnt cut into your sleep too bad, but I think it's over rated like a mother****er. You guys are right, there really is only like a 30-40 min window after weights to get your protien and dextrose shake in, but your not really building muscle when your dieting but more or less trying to retain what you have. The insulin spike is definitely needed, but I dont think it's as crucial to dieting as building. The bottom line is at the end of the day if you've burned more than you've eaten, eating slow burned carbs and a ****load of protien to help maintain muscle, your going to burn fat either way. However if you can get up the willpower to hit out your morning cardio then do. What I've started doing is eod morning and PWO cardio, and on the following days just PWO cardio. Seems to be working quite well. I also like to rotate between high intensity and low intensity sessions. I'll do my high intensity sessions for 35-40 min, the low ones for 50 min-an hr.

Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    oh bull****, I know plenty of guys that do cardio right after weights and have no trouble winning shows or at least placing top 3. I think am cardio is good if it doesnt cut into your sleep too bad, but I think it's over rated like a mother****er. You guys are right, there really is only like a 30-40 min window after weights to get your protien and dextrose shake in, but your not really building muscle when your dieting but more or less trying to retain what you have. The insulin spike is definitely needed, but I dont think it's as crucial to dieting as building. The bottom line is at the end of the day if you've burned more than you've eaten, eating slow burned carbs and a ****load of protien to help maintain muscle, your going to burn fat either way. However if you can get up the willpower to hit out your morning cardio then do. What I've started doing is eod morning and PWO cardio, and on the following days just PWO cardio. Seems to be working quite well. I also like to rotate between high intensity and low intensity sessions. I'll do my high intensity sessions for 35-40 min, the low ones for 50 min-an hr.
    oh ok, i get it now lol

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Well PWO Cardio can be extremely beneficial seeing how you have depleted all your glycogen from lifting and you have Fat+Protein for fuel... if you can Keep your %HR at about 55 or so then its not likely you will utilize any protein for fuel. On other hand if your PWO Cardio Routine Duration exceeds 30min your definetly looking at some muscle loss because of the 45-1hr PWO Recovery window. So in sum, just use your best judgement and listen to your body if you start feeling really run down back of cardio and check your diet and make sure your total cal deduction isnt less than 500 below consumption point and your probably not reading all this anyways i could type what ever i want here and it doesnt matterm, i like to play with dolls they make me feel superior to the female race.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    If you can't possibly do it another time, nor split them up, I would rotate days....

yea i am with blown, b/c if i am going to go in the gym and bust my a$$ for an hour then i am going to do whatever i can to get all the benefits and not cut myself short. especially when it comes to muscle.

now i can see where someone can argue that evening cardio can be beneficial, but i just can't see how anyone could be hard headed enuff to cardio pwo with all the information that we have available to us here.

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    your probably not reading all this anyways i could type what ever i want here and it doesnt matterm, i like to play with dolls they make me feel superior to the female race.

I did read it all.. sorry about your fetish with dolls..

So I guess all those people doing cardio after weights are actually hurting their gains....

I did read it all.. sorry about your fetish with dolls..

So I guess all those people doing cardio after weights are actually hurting their gains....
    yes to an extent but if your trying to cut PWO Cardio is WAY BETTER THAN NO CARDIO.. but if your trying to PUT on Slow Quality Lean mass 3-4x a week Morning Empty tank cardio 55%MRH or so
    but PWO cardio for about 20-25min is good dont get me wrong if you go slow like 55% MHR then your not going to utilize much protein for fuel... and since your glycogen is depleted from lifting you only have Fat/Pro to use so GO SLOW

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Why? I get up at 4:30AM to do an hour of cardio. It can be done. You just have to make it happen.

Exactly, we all make scarifices and if you want it bad enough you will either do it or not do it, plain and simple.

ha! i get up at 4:20 to do me bag work ><
    Last edited by taiboxa; 03-09-2005 at 05:54 PM.

then get up at 3:20

Thread Information