Thread: carb question

masscon037 is offline New Member

carb question

Ok so I know that you want to take in like 40 grams protien and 80 grams of carbs after a work out. I was looking into nature's best Carb up. They say its maltodextrin. Is this similar to dextrose. Would this be a good supplement to incorporate into my pwo shake?? I was also wondering what's a ppwo. Is it better that the ppwo be whole food. I understand that its better to have a liquid shake immediately after the workout cause it absorption rate is better than whole foods. But with the ppwo would it be better to get whole food like some brown rice and chicken or salmon? Any tips here would be greatly appreciated thanks

HammerCurler is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by masscon037
    Ok so I know that you want to take in like 40 grams protien and 80 grams of carbs after a work out. I was looking into nature's best Carb up. They say its maltodextrin. Is this similar to dextrose. Would this be a good supplement to incorporate into my pwo shake?? I was also wondering what's a ppwo. Is it better that the ppwo be whole food. I understand that its better to have a liquid shake immediately after the workout cause it absorption rate is better than whole foods. But with the ppwo would it be better to get whole food like some brown rice and chicken or salmon? Any tips here would be greatly appreciated thanks
    I would stick with dextrose PWO but i'm sure maltodextrin is good too, don't know too much about it.

You're right, PPWO should be solid food: it should be protein and a fast absorbing carb such as white rice, white bread, pasta etc.

Thanks alot hammer, yeah so whats a good source for dextrose?? I saw the carb up, by natures best, but havent really seen anything as far as dextrose goes. Probably due to a lack of time to look but any ideas would be great. Do you think that the muscle tech NITRO TECH, would be a good PWO?? So the PPWO would be good if it was white rice and lets say chicken with some broccolli. Thanks alot, cant wait to start the work out of a life time

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    dextrose is 100 on the gi scale... maltodextrin is 107 o n the gi scale... your body releases a little more insulin in response to its consumption, which is good postworkout... it takes a slightly longer time (hardly much) to breakdown and absorbe though because it is considered a complex carb... it is basically longer chains of glucose than dextrose is..............

imo 25 g dextrose and 50 g maltodextrin is the best mixture...

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    if your consuming whey isolate wich has ~30min absorbtion rate stick to strate dextrose to shuddle the goods to the muscles.
    Malto is a 2nd rate bastard child complex carb >< not very effective for PPWO since that will consist of a mod high Complex carb i.e. Yams,brownrice,grains. Someone did an article on using malto effectivle though i cannot for the life of me recall who, stated that 50/50 malto/dextro is best pwo ratio if you use malto at all

Aristides is offline New Member
    i like to break my pwo shake into its components and time everything out. have my super high gi carbs right after (usually from my creatine mix) then protien shake 20 min later. It takes the stomach about that time to dump most liquids into the small intestines. The protien would normally blunt the insulin spike if taken together.

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    if your consuming whey isolate wich has ~30min absorbtion rate stick to strate dextrose to shuddle the goods to the muscles.
    Malto is a 2nd rate bastard child complex carb >< not very effective for PPWO since that will consist of a mod high Complex carb i.e. Yams,brownrice,grains. Someone did an article on using malto effectivle though i cannot for the life of me recall who, stated that 50/50 malto/dextro is best pwo ratio if you use malto at all

ummm 30% absorbtion rate??? i think you need to get your facts checked bud.....................

Quote Originally Posted by EatRite
    ummm 30% absorbtion rate??? i think you need to get your facts checked bud.....................
    what? 30%? of wat? im confused

anyways Whey Isolate is readily absorbed in approx. 30min especially when accompanied by dextrose, sucrose or even maltodextrose there for your PPWO(postpostworkout*gayterm*) is best consumed in about 45min -1hr after shake w/ moderatly high complex carbs and a lean protein meat i.e. turkey/chicken/tuna

i'm sorry iread that wrong... i apologize... i thougth it said 30% absorbtion rate...

i stand corrected

ps... i know it absorbes fast... it is only available for about 2.5 hrs after you drink it, so make sure you are getting a lot of protein about 2 hrs postworkout...

Quote Originally Posted by EatRite
    i'm sorry iread that wrong... i apologize... i thougth it said 30% absorbtion rate...

i stand corrected
    no problemo atleast you can read >< unlike some

Is Nitro-tech a good PWO shake because it has the proper amount of dextrose and protien in it?? Does anyone else like to take the dextrose 2o minutes before their protein?? I never heard of that... Is it more effective or doesn't have that much difference when taken together. Can't wait almost ready to start. I'm taking pictures soon and will post them ASAP Thanks bros

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I use regular pure dextrose and my own whey protein.

I don't but any "NITRO" anything because the only thing that makes bigger is MuscleTech's bank account.

~SC~

Thread Information