Johnny Italia is offline New Member

Normal to get a big belly when building?

My stomach feels like a damn pot belly. My calories are up to 3500 a day from much lower. Is it normal to get fat before you start to pack on mass?

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Hey my Italian brother,
    Well you will get a big ole belly if you aren't doing any cardio and getting those carbs burned up. It depends on where your body stores fat. Most males it is around the stomach area. sounds like to me you are eating the calories you need, are they good calories? If so you will have to do some cardio to get that stomach down, if it is fat, could be that ever so not so uncomfortable feeling of bloating. Give us some more info, maybe some of the other guys can help. I think most will agree, if you arne't doing enough cardio your body will store it as fat, hince the big belly.

Johnny Italia is offline New Member

Well, I don't really do any cardio. I'm 5'5 and about 140 lbs. Just started using deca at 1.5 cc's 2 times a week. I try to eat 5 to 6 times a day, with a mix of a couple of gainer's fuel shakes that are 800 calories each, and a few meals. Mostly I eat things like hamburger patties and rice or pasta, chicken and rice, cottage cheese and omellets. I try to follow the same type of diet that the sample menu's on this site show. I get to the gym about every other day.

I haven't done any cardio because it's so hard to gain weight. I'm afraid I'll burn up the calories and lose any gains I might be making. Hope that gives you some more info, thanks for the help.

Well if you just started using deca , it will more than likely cut you up some, but it may make you gain too. as long as you are doing heavy weights and good calories, I don't think you have to worry about cardio and loosing what you have. Man, almost every BB I know does some type of cardio not just for the heart, but for over all balance. If you are serious about BB, you may want to do some type of cardio, unfortunealy, there are drawbacks to everything. For instance, when you are bulking up, you will gain some fat and size, and loose those some cuts, but when you are trying to cut up, you will loose some mass. That is just the nature of the beast. You have to find a balance. You have a good base, deca, try doing some cardio, about twice a week, but keep in mind if you are trying to bulk up, it is envitible that you will gain weight and fat. Good luck.. see what the other guys say..
    I know what works for me..

MarkyMark is offline Member
    I have a different theory on this and GUYS let me know your view points..... I know you will .. I don't feel that over-eating is really the best way to gain on a cycle or any other time.... If your on or off and eating so much that your getting fat that means in all actual circumstances that more calories are coming in unused... this is certainly the opposite of what a bodybuilder wants ... Muscle not fat gain... you definately need to EAT ... but when too many calories are taken in and not being used then fat is the end result ... I think everyone being different , needs to up their calories ( not to the pre-set # everyone talks about ) depending on height and weight many factors are in motion... Up your calories for your BMR and when you notice that your packing on alot of fat is apparent start adding some cardio... If your still gaining fat then drop calories back a bit,,, EXPERIMENT with your own body's mechanics until the appropriate ( proteins , carbs and fats ; Calories ) have been reached for optimal LEAN growth... ) if you gain 20-30 lbs on a cycle and have to diet to lose 15-20 lbs how much have you really gained ... just gain the 10-20 lbs of muscle and be done with it..... ( I am not talking Water weight gain that will drop as a result from discontinuing as some are worse than others.... so please don't slam me with that one....hehe .... Good luck everyone ...

Mark, that is kinda what I said I think.. or at least I meant it anyways. BMR, gosh I had totally forgotten about that. There is a formula that you can use to calculate what your BMR is, and how many calories you can eat a day and gain or loose weight, or even reatain what you have. My gosh, I have forgotten my ole BB years of BMR's. Good point Mark.

bigtraps is offline Member
    Markymark. Good post

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Slowly increase the cals I mean if you have gone from 2500cals to 3500cals a day sure you,ll put weight on but a lot of it will be fat.Slowly increase them and your body will learn to use more of those cals.Increase the intensity of your workouts and add at least a little cardio and the belly should go.
    I would also suggest buying some fat calipers and measuring your bodyfat once a week.Workout you lean body mass everyweek and you should determine if you are gaining muscle or fat.Forget the scales !!

Billy

Thread Information