HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

insulin spike ???

how long after consuming a low GI carb such as oats will your insulin levels drop back down? also is there a chart or read that has various carbs and the times insulin remains spiked??

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Usually your slin levels won't really budge much w/oatmeal. It's a slow burning/release carb that requires very little insulin release.

~SC~

coo coo so fat consumption after about 2 hours of having oats will be fine then right ...?

juicerm is offline Junior Member
    i have a question related to this topic.. after my workout i have around 60g of dextrose with 38g of protein... That will spike my insulin levels and help use the protein. How long does it take after that shake for my insulin levels to be level again? I dont want to eat to soon after and have all the fat i eat be rapidly stored..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Well ideally you would have yet another pwo offering of carbs/protein in solid form anyhow within an hour or two of the first offering, so it's not too much of an issue.

~SC~

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    you should have a pro(lean protein meat w no fat/carb( yams or brown rice, etc) about an hour after your pro dex shake. then wait 2.5-3 hours before you eat a pro/fat

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    if you can get a nice BIG spike PWO i have even heard of people taking 90+g'dex w/10g aminos right after working out to get a nice spike then take in like 45gpro 10-20min later... some reseach showed it increased protein synthesis by 400%
    and ur ppwo shouldnt have fat in it .. should be Lean meat and high GI Carb like brown/white rice or yam or like... aprox 45min or so after shake.
    Last edited by taiboxa; 03-24-2005 at 11:03 AM.

IronAdam is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juicerm
    i have a question related to this topic.. after my workout i have around 60g of dextrose with 38g of protein... That will spike my insulin levels and help use the protein. How long does it take after that shake for my insulin levels to be level again? I dont want to eat to soon after and have all the fat i eat be rapidly stored..
    Good question. I'm curious about this as well.

ppwo high GI carb like 70-90 not like 90+ like dextrose or malto

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    if you can get a nice BIG spike PWO i have even heard of people taking 90+g'dex w/10g aminos right after working out to get a nice spike then take in like 45gpro 10-20min later... some reseach showed it increased protein synthesis by 400%
    and ur ppwo shouldnt have fat in it .. should be Lean meat and high GI Carb like brown/white rice or yam or like... aprox 45min or so after shake.

is brown rice and yams not low GI carbs...

juicerm is offline Junior Member
    wow thanks for the quick replys. ill make sure to have pro/carb after my pwo shake. Heres a stupid question. In an hour im gunna have my steamed plain chicken with whole wheat toast. Is wheat toast a high GI carb? I can instead, have a sweet potato and have the wheat toast later. I ask this because theres so many different whole wheat toast breads at the supermarket and sometimes i dont believe its even that good for u. With sweet potato I know for sure what im getting..
    Last edited by juicerm; 03-24-2005 at 11:10 AM.

bread is a weak carb i dont like it but wheat toast is usually white bread in disguise .. unless its stone ground whole wheat... i would go for yam or sweetpotatoe personally.

Thread Information