Thread: Protien

beenie is offline Senior Member

Protien

I usually drink my protien after my workout but I got to thinking. . .

I generally lift for 1 to 1.5 hours and then do 45 min cardio. What this means is that I am not getting the protien until about an hour after I have lifted.

Am I doing this the best way? I can't work out twice/day and I like doing the cardio second so I have more streegth for liftiing.

Aboot is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    What this means is that I am not getting the protien until about an hour after I have lifted.

This is why most recommend splitting cardio and weights. But if you can't do it, doing weights first than cardio is the best thing to do.

shango88 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aboot
    This is why most recommend splitting cardio and weights. But if you can't do it, doing weights first than cardio is the best thing to do.
    I agree,

Ideally your workouts should not go longer than about an hour. After an hour your body become pretty catabolic. You should deffinately be using a PWO drink whey/dex 1:2 ratio.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Train on a diff. day than cardio if you can't split them on the same day.

That is FAR TOO LONG to wait to eat after a workout, and your workout is too long already IMHO.

~SC~

niXon)( is offline Member
    I doubt you lift more than 5 days a week.. but what I would do is cut training to 4 days, and do cardio on the other 3 days of the week.

that way you can have your pwo drink when you neeeeed it!

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    try drinking some sort of protein shake throughout your workout to help combat catobolism then another one after your cardio.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemical King
    try drinking some sort of protein shake throughout your workout to help combat catobolism then another one after your cardio.
    pulling blood to ur stomache is not a good idea during resistance training or even cardio for that fact

Quote Originally Posted by niXon)(
    I doubt you lift more than 5 days a week.. but what I would do is cut training to 4 days, and do cardio on the other 3 days of the week.

that way you can have your pwo drink when you neeeeed it!
    Actually I do the gym 6 days/wk on average. I try to go every day, but seems like i miss once a week cause I am either tired (which I figure is my body's way of telling me I need rest) or something comes up.

Someone in this thread said that ideally workouts should not exceed 1 hour. This is something that I have been hearing for years but it doesn't seem to line up with reality. The guys in MY gym that have the GREAT bodies seem to be there every day for 3 or 4 hours. I doubt that they do much other than work out (don't they have jobs???) but the bottom line is that these are the ones that always look the best. I have never seen anyone with a great physique that follows the book and does 4 one-hour work outs. I am not saying it doesn't exist, I am just saying it's not consistent with what I have seen.

It reminds me of the common wisdom a few years ago that was promoting high carbs and the food pyrimid. All the books said to do it, and it is what all the magazines were promoting, but the guys who were really cut were the ones on high protien low carb diets (notwitstanding a couple 20 year olds who seemed to be able to eat anything and look cut).

Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    Actually I do the gym 6 days/wk on average. I try to go every day, but seems like i miss once a week cause I am either tired (which I figure is my body's way of telling me I need rest) or something comes up.

Someone in this thread said that ideally workouts should not exceed 1 hour. This is something that I have been hearing for years but it doesn't seem to line up with reality. The guys in MY gym that have the GREAT bodies seem to be there every day for 3 or 4 hours. I doubt that they do much other than work out (don't they have jobs???) but the bottom line is that these are the ones that always look the best. I have never seen anyone with a great physique that follows the book and does 4 one-hour work outs. I am not saying it doesn't exist, I am just saying it's not consistent with what I have seen.

It reminds me of the common wisdom a few years ago that was promoting high carbs and the food pyrimid. All the books said to do it, and it is what all the magazines were promoting, but the guys who were really cut were the ones on high protien low carb diets (notwitstanding a couple 20 year olds who seemed to be able to eat anything and look cut).
    theres alotta guys like that at my gym too but they talk for the first 2 hours

you dont grow in the gym because if u did .. i would be the biggest dude alive

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Train on a diff. day than cardio if you can't split them on the same day.

That is FAR TOO LONG to wait to eat after a workout, and your workout is too long already IMHO.

~SC~
    Curious what a typical workout week looks like for Swolecat. Bet my total time is not too different from yours - although the results are different :-(

You just split it up into two sessions, right?

well cardio in morning on empty stomache at a light pace
    lift in evenings
    but even if those 2 are flawless diet is still 80% of it

niXon)( is offline Member
    beenie you need more rest. training like a madman will only hurt you in the long run.

check out some training splits in the workout forum, see how yours lines up with all of them

Quote Originally Posted by niXon)(
    beenie you need more rest. training like a madman will only hurt you in the long run.

check out some training splits in the workout forum, see how yours lines up with all of them
    Been doing it this way for a while - seems to work okay for me. Its really just one body part a week:

Day 1: Sholders
    Day 2: Chest
    Day 3: Bicepts
    Day 4: Back
    Day 5 :tricepts
    Day 6: Legs
    Day 7: Abs

Sometimes I do two body parts on one day like back and bicepts. Since I go pretty long I dedicate an hour or so to each part and really feel it for a few days.

We really have digressed however, particularly since this IS the diet forum. My inital question was really more about the best way for me to take protien given what I am doing. I guess that if you REALLY think that my aproach is retarded, than you have an obligation to say so. But if it makes any kind of sense at all, protien ingestion timing is apreciated.

XxElitexX is offline Senior Member
    i agree with swole. keep it short and intense.

by the end of your workout your glycogen levels are already know and need instant replenishment.

cardio=morning on empty stomach
    afternoon=weights

Thread Information