go4gold is offline Member

6% bf and still no abs?

I have always been at a low bf percentage, but still never able to really get the abs i want, if i flex hard, you can see a bit of a 4 pack, i know kinda lame. Abs always feel strong as well as whole mid section. What might i try to do to get them to show better. I have been as low as about 6.5 %, what do i need to do, go lower. Stomach area is flat though.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    What method have you used to measure your bf%?

Juddman is offline Anabolic Member
    Do some sculpting bro...low bf will show them only if they are there of course. Roman chair sit-ups, crunches, leg raises, etc. I do them about 3 times a week.

IntensityX is offline BDTRs SHEMALE
    Use some weights like swiss ball weighted crunches to build up abs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    What method have you used to measure your bf%?
    I have use a caliper, and they electro reading where it measure the water in your body and all say about 6-8%, i know not the most accurate way to determine bf, but i am still low. Abs have always been tough for me, like i said, they are in shape, i will try and concentrate on them a bit more. I do have hip problems that do limit my range of motion, could this have an effect on my lower abs and potentially my uppers. I will plan a better diet and like i said train them more also. hips are somewhat fixed from surgery now, so hoping i can get better results. Just wodering if this is something i can achieve or just have to live with, would like some decent abs ya know.

xfade7 is offline Member
    use some heavier weight and limit it to twice a week (imo). just like training other muscles, go heavier for bigger more protruding muscles.

You should definately see abs at 6%. I agree with the bros above: Start training your abs more to bring them out.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    well do heavy resistant ab training 2x a week... that will bulk them up and push them out.. like do situps on incline w/ a 10lb held BEHIND your hed and take about 10 seconds on the negative motion to stretch and tear the abdominals.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Hmmmm you should be able to start seeing abs at about 11% normally..... how often do you train abs and what exercises do you do to train them???

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Post some pics.... it's hard to believe someone could be 6% and have no abs. Not calling you a liar (because it is possible you just don't have very large abdominal muscles) but I would like to see just to get an accurate view, and see if your bodyfat is really around 6%.

Vegas67 is offline Member
    Abs are a muscle and will respond to heavy weight just like any other....go after them like any other muscle you are trying to build...8-10 reps heavy to failure bro

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    Post some pics.... it's hard to believe someone could be 6% and have no abs. Not calling you a liar (because it is possible you just don't have very large abdominal muscles) but I would like to see just to get an accurate view, and see if your bodyfat is really around 6%.
    Yes, same reason I asked how he tested his bf%.....

Also not calling B.S..... I just think you would be able to see some definition at that low of a %...

smegs is offline Member
    bro my cousin has the same problem
    do some yoga, it works

Sorry, no pics at the moment, will work on that, but weight training with abs is what works in most of your opinion, will definitly incorperate that. I can feel my abs, my mid section just has always been tough to get the way i want them to show. I am planning a cutting diet and workout out routine, if i get results, i will post before and after pics. thanks for the info

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by go4gold
    Sorry, no pics at the moment, will work on that, but weight training with abs is what works in most of your opinion, will definitly incorperate that. I can feel my abs, my mid section just has always been tough to get the way i want them to show. I am planning a cutting diet and workout out routine, if i get results, i will post before and after pics. thanks for the info
    No way that u r 6% and see no abs. It simply is not possible. At 9% they will come out even if you have little muscle. The situps and roman chair is good, to make them really pop out but the deff comes w/ low bf%.

You were never obese before, right?

i have never been obese, i have been as low as 6 % before and no abs from wrestling, i am actually about 8-9% now and just nothing, I have always had trouble with the lower abs due to my hips, i think that is what mostly accounted the under development of my abs. the mid section is tough for me to get the way i want it. really going to try and diet and hit the abs hard. i did have hip surgery a few years back and never really lifted that hard since, hope i can get the abs i want this time.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by go4gold
    i have never been obese, i have been as low as 6 % before and no abs from wrestling, i am actually about 8-9% now and just nothing, I have always had trouble with the lower abs due to my hips, i think that is what mostly accounted the under development of my abs. the mid section is tough for me to get the way i want it. really going to try and diet and hit the abs hard. i did have hip surgery a few years back and never really lifted that hard since, hope i can get the abs i want this time.
    The only time I have personnally heard of 9% bf without the seeing abs is in people who were formally obese and then lost a lot of weight. What sometimes happens is that thier skin doesn't tighten after they get thier percentage down and they sometimes have loose hanging skin. This is also more common in older people after the skin becomes less elastic.

How are you testing your bf%?
    Last edited by beenie; 03-26-2005 at 12:21 PM.

Thread Information