HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

serious question about metabolism...

ok basically im one of those guys that went from really skinny with a very fast metabolism and did not store fat at all(about 140lbs) to about 250lbs within a small amount of time! now im back down to about 170-175lbs because im not juicing, but i just talked to a trainer and he said that because i did this and put some fat on when i was big, my fat cells "know" how to store fat and kind of have a "fat memory" if you will and he said that it will be easy for me to store fat now for the rest of my life??? is this true can a persons ability to store fat change because of something like this??? or is it still the same and what he said is bogus?
    Last edited by crosby7117; 03-29-2005 at 10:37 PM.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    ok basically im one of those guys that went from really skinny with a very fast metabolism and did not store fat at all(about 140lbs) to about 250lbs within a small amount of time! now im back down to about 170-175lbs because im not juicing, but i just talked to a trainer and he said that because i did this and put some fat on when i was big, my fat cells "know" how to store fat and kind of have a "fat memory" if you will and he said that it will be easy for me to store fat now for the rest of my life??? is this true can a persons ability to store fat change because of something like this??? or is it still the same and what he said is bogus?
    Interesting,, possibly he is right, the body’s response to training after time of is to go back to its original size it was during training, a muscle memory type thing, so could this be said of fat to, as I said possibly.

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    I'm preety sure its not true

Quote Originally Posted by bor

i really hope not bro! i can't see how this could alter a person's fat sensitivity! plus your body is always trying to find it's own comfortable state, so if before i started working out i was skinny as a rail, then that's my bodies natural state right...???

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    I agree, if you have a fast metabolism the only thing that will slow it down is time and age, not whether or not you have done a cycle and stored fat.

-SHRED

well he actually isn't really saying that it's my metabolism, but more so the fat cells! he is saying that if someone isn't used to storing fat, than all of a sudden he/she puts a good amount of fat on that he/she never had before, he is saying that because the fat cells grew in size, that they will easily grow again just like muscle memory! but i argued that your metabolism is respondsible for making you store fat which i really think it is! but he just freaked me out a bit there...

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    In that logic, you could do a cycle, put on 40 pounds of muscle, lose it, and easily gain it back coz ou once had it. Which of course isn't so....

In that logic, you could do a cycle, put on 40 pounds of muscle, lose it, and easily gain it back coz ou once had it. Which of course isn't so....
    that's a very good point bor!

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    It's an old misconception based on crash dieting. Say you eat 3,500 calories a day and you are 250 lbs and fat. Then you "go on a diet" and you get down to 175 lbs. Once you've reached your goal, you return to your normal way of eating and can't understand why you return to 250 lbs. "It must be fat memory, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    It's an old misconception based on crash dieting. Say you eat 3,500 calories a day and you are 250 lbs and fat. Then you "go on a diet" and you get down to 175 lbs. Once you've reached your goal, you return to your normal way of eating and can't understand why you return to 250 lbs. "It must be fat memory, right?"

i see so what you're saying is that if you're body in it's natural state which you genetically hold some fat then you diet and return to your old eating habbits then you'll put the fat back on, but if your natural genetics allow you to stay very lean no matter what it doesnt matter how fat or whatever you were before your genetics and fat storing abitlity is still the same??? did i hit the nail on the head???

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    He's kinda right. Basically, when you gain fat, you increase the size and NUMBER of fat cells. Once you lose fat, you NEVER lose in the Number of fat cells, you just lose the fat inside the cells. So, you are at a higher risk for storing fat now, than before you were heavier, due to your cells are ready to be filled.
    Brief Description~

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    He's kinda right. Basically, when you gain fat, you increase the size and NUMBER of fat cells. Once you lose fat, you NEVER lose in the Number of fat cells, you just lose the fat inside the cells. So, you are at a higher risk for storing fat now, than before you were heavier, due to your cells are ready to be filled.
    Brief Description~

i see what you're saying but i was under the impression that you cannot create new fat cells but you can expand them! same as muscle you can't create new muscle cells, you can only increase the volume of existing cells unless of course you're taking HGH!

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    They increase in number. A non-obese adult might have around 40 million, whereas an obese adult has around 80 million. I don't think you increased your number by much, if I remember, studies say that the number starts to increase around 70 lbs overweight. You are fine and I wouldn't be stressing~

They increase in number. A non-obese adult might have around 40 million, whereas an obese adult has around 80 million. I don't think you increased your number by much, if I remember, studies say that the number starts to increase around 70 lbs overweight. You are fine and I wouldn't be stressing~
    well i went from 140lbs at like 3% to about 250 at about 15% in like 2 years,would this dramatic jump in bodyfat be enough to produce more fat cells?. i was never like fat, i was just really big, around 15%bf like i said, how long would it take to start increasing the number of cells when you bodyfat is high???

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    well i went from 140lbs at like 3% to about 250 at about 15% in like 2 years,would this dramatic jump in bodyfat be enough to produce more fat cells?. i was never like fat, i was just really big, around 15%bf like i said, how long would it take to start increasing the number of cells when you bodyfat is high???
    3% huh? No offense but where are you guys pulling these numbers from? It's not just you but a plethora of other posters have posted that they were >150 at one point in life and were somehow >6% bf...its not that it's impossible just highly unlikely....oh well, other than that I have nothing significant to contribute to this thread

Quote Originally Posted by SplinterCell
    3% huh? No offense but where are you guys pulling these numbers from? It's not just you but a plethora of other posters have posted that they were >150 at one point in life and were somehow >6% bf...its not that it's impossible just highly unlikely....oh well, other than that I have nothing significant to contribute to this thread
    ya man 3% bf i was also involved highly in track and feild growing up in grade school all the way till i graduated highschool, mostly long distance so ya 3% was not an exaguration!

i found this on the net, it's from the university of florida!

Patrick J. Bird, Ph.D.
    Keeping Fit
    Column 277a

Q. Is it true that babies are born with all the fat cells they will ever have? Therefore, short of starvation, children who inherit a lot of fat cells will always be overweight?

A. No. Most newborns have about 5 billion fat cells. This number increases to 30 to 50 billion in nonobese young adults and to 75 billion in full-grown obese people. After maturity, there's normally very little change in fat cell number. Fluctuations in body fat during adulthood are accommodated by changes in cell size, not by the creation of new cells.

But, if a person becomes grossly obese, the number of fat cells can increase, regardless of age. When all existing fat cells are stuffed to capacity, which happens when a person is about 70 pounds over ideal weight, the body starts producing more cells to provide additional storage. And the production of fat cells can be tremendous--up to 260 billion in extremely obese individuals.

Fat cells are very influential in weight control. That's because they're permanent--fat cells don't disappear when the weight is lost. They simply shrink. And the more fat cells, the more storage area, and the easier it is to gain weight. It's for this reason that obesity can't be cured, but only controlled.

Still, even youngsters who inherit more than a fair share of fat cells are not necessarily sentenced to a life-long battle with obesity. The proliferation of fat cells during the growing years can be controlled by diet and exercise. This means more complex carbohydrates (plant foods--like bread, pasta, rice, beans, potatoes, corn, carrots, broccoli) and less fat and sugar. Remember, fat has over twice the calories per gram as carbohydrates. Fat stimulate the appetite. And sugar makes things even worse. It's not just because of the sweet calories. Sugar encourages the storage of fat. Exercise, of course, burns calories, increases metabolism, and for many people, dulls the appetite.

it says that people 70lbs over weight this will start to happen! now does this refer to a obese individual being over weight or a person in general including muscle,fat and water?

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Brief Description~
    thats what i was thinking....A tricky subject

Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    thats what i was thinking....A tricky subject
    ya i know i'm just hoping i didn't make some new fatty cells

Thread Information