Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Is this diet okay??

Im looking to lose around 25-30 pounds until this summer and this is the diet Im currently following.
    Around 200-220g protein,80-140g quality carbs day(veggies, oatmeal, rice and potatoe sometimes pasta) and around 40-60g fat.

I eat betwen 1800-2200 kcal/day and I eat aproximatly 50% protein 25% carbs and 25%fat.

My bodyweight is 205 pounds, Im 5"11 and my bf% is around 20%. So far I have lost 5 pounds on 2 weeks on this diet(used clenbuterol during those 2 weeks) I also have a very slow metabolism I only need 2500-2700 kcal/day to keep my weight.

Do you think I can keep this diet during a prolonged time without losing to much strenght and muscle mass or maby even gain some muscle and/or strenght(would it help if i drink maby 30 grams carbs and 30 grams protein before every workout)??

Im going to cycle clenbuterol all the way until this summer(2 weeks on 2 weeks off) and I might throw in some ECA in the off weeks if my energy and weight loss is to slow during the off weeks.
    Im aiming to lose 2-3 pounds every week now in the begining weeks.

What should I do to keep my metabolism high during the diet??

Ohh and just one other thing every friday I eat anything I want and how much of it as I want.

I do cardio for 25-30 minutes after every workout(3-4 times/week) and I take 1 hours walks 2 times a week and besides clenbuterol I supplement with glutamin(10-20g/day), omega 3(about 2-3g/day), zink, magnesium, potisium(sp?), calcium and creatine.
    Last edited by Kärnfysikern; 01-30-2002 at 12:15 PM.

Shredz is offline Respected Member

Re: Is this diet okay??

first...up the protein..weither it will be with food or shakes..you are too low..this will help you from losing muscle while dieting. 1 1/2g protein/1 pound of body weight

clen and eca is a good idea..2 weeks on 2 weeks off..however..running it from now all the way through summer..is a long time and dont recommend it. You receptors will be flushed, when you hit mid summer it will be doing so little for you. take a break from it for a while and then hit it again.

the other supplements you are doing are great...however creatine will give you a little water retention..maybe cut that out in end of may, to get you a little harder.

about you friday you have a whole cheat day..damn man that could hurt you ..i have heard and done cheat meals but not cheat days.

cardio is great..keep it up this and clen will help you keep that metabolism up. stay active.

as for food..get whole wheat rice, rice pasta and sweat potatos...much better for you when dieting down. oatmeal and vegies are great..but don't eat that oatmeal that is in the box..ie apple cinamin..or what ever it is..toooo much sugar.

no need to drink carbs and protien preworkout..post workout is a must ..try to consume it 15-30 mins after finishing.
    i usually train 1 hour or so after i eat.

hope this helps..good luck and keep us posted

okay il upp the protein but it will be expensive hehe.

What do you think should be the maximum amount of protein that should be consumed in one meal? I have heard that 40-50 is pretty good but if the body can take more every meal then I will raise it. I assume that the ammount of protein in diet meals can be pretty high because lots of it will be burnt as energi am i right??

Should I cut the carbs even more or cut the fat(the fat can be hard to cut because I eat alot of eggs)??

Il keep you posted if I remeber to :-))
    Last edited by Kärnfysikern; 01-30-2002 at 02:16 PM.

llbeastcd is offline Associate Member
    LI, NY... where it seems like everyone is on gear.
    I'm not one for HUGE amounts of protein and I think the plan you have here is certainly a solid starting point. Not to overuse the cliche, but, "everyone's body reacts differently", so continue to monitor your progress and if your losses are more than 2 lbs. a week, add calories... protein calories.

Here is something to test... get some ketostix and measure your urine for ketones. Your carbs are low and you might be experiencing some degree of ketosis. If the strips are pink to purple... you're using ketones as energy. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's all the more reason to keep your cheat day. On your cheat day, be sure to take in a lot of carbs... at least 300-400 grams, to replenish glycogen stores and stabilize cortisol levels.

If you are not in ketosis but still losing at the rate of 1-2 lbs. of week with the cheat meal, then I don't see any reason to stop... it does a body good, both physically and mentally IMHO. Just be prepared to lose that cheat day if and when you stall and/or your BF starts getting close to single digits.

bravo11p is offline Associate Member

diet

Every thing looks OK though I would up the protein. Remember that you shouldnt rely on shakes alone for your protein. Get as much as you can from food. CHicken, tuna, turkey. I am a firm beliver that protein consumption should be split up through the day. About 40-50g per meal. As for the cheat day: MODERATION!!! A slice of pizza will do a lot less damage than a whole pizza. Cheat smart. Yes, we have all binged out before but learn self control. ECA stacks are good in moderation also. THe 2 weeks on, 2 off is a good one to follow. IMO, I don't follow the very low carb diet. I would never go below 150g a day but thats me. Illbeasted... I am interested in your ketosis stuff. PM me and give me more info on that. Looks like some interesting reading.

Thanks for the advices.

Im already eating alot of tuna, meat and chicken so increasing protein from those sources can be hard.

I think I will buy some cheap soy protein and mix it with my whey protein so I can get a higher protein intake that way.

Dont think I will be able to get into single digit BF% values this spring as Im currently around 20% or a little bit more(just a estimated value).

last time I did a electic impedance test it claimed that I had 21% and it seems pretty accurate but I dont completely trust that thing because it claimed that a friend of mine had 20%BF and he had awsome abs at that time.

Do you think I should dump my oatmeal with 2 eggs breakfast and replace it with something more protein rich(like tuna)??

And do you know any easy way to get fibers??
    Are there any good fiber supplements that doesnt cost a fortune and doesnt have to much carbs in it??

hum would I risk lowering my metabolism if I sometimes drop down to 1700 kcal/day??

I just calculated how much kcal I will eat today and I ended with as little as 1717kcal 57g fat 63g carbs and 223g protein.
    I will add a extra protein shake or eat some more tuna to get around 250-260g prot.

But is there any major risk with going to low on the kcal???

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by johan

Dont think I will be able to get into single digit BF% values this spring as Im currently around 20% or a little bit more(just a estimated value).

Do you think I should dump my oatmeal with 2 eggs breakfast and replace it with something more protein rich(like tuna)??
    about the breakfast..i go with 8 egg whites and one whole egg..scrambled..can add some spices to it to liven it up..keep the oatmeal..that is a killing breakfast..

the yoke are where all the fats are..and about you body fat..it is no prob to drop it to single digits by the summer as long as you hit the stick diet and hit that cardio

good luck

Hum this must be a stupid question but what is scrambled eggs(dont live in a english speaking country so dont know what it is)??

And I have tried this week to drop the carbs even more(to around 30-50g/day) and upp the protein(to around 250g/day).
    This seems to work better, have no hunger what so ever and I have equal if not better energy on my workouts so far.

What kind of cardio do you guys prefer??

I like medium pace walks for around 1-1,5 hour but Im not sure they burn enough.
    And I also like 20 minutes on the excercie bike after every workout.

Originally posted by johan
    And I have tried this week to drop the carbs even more(to around 30-50g/day) and upp the protein(to around 250g/day).
    This seems to work better, have no hunger what so ever and I have equal if not better energy on my workouts so far.
    Yup... that's exactly what happens. Hunger dissipates. You're probably in ketosis too. Let us know how it goes over the course of your training.

bufchic is offline Associate Member
    Big mistake.

bufchic

can you explain a little more??
    Why is it bad?

Johan, Im just really against dropping carbs and Im all for upping them. Your muscles NEED carbs just as much if not more than the protein. If you are eating the "right" carbs you will not lose much muscle if any at all AND you will feel better oh AND look better. Dieting approx. 30/60/10 is your best bet. You dont need a TON of protein. Unless you drop your protein to 40-50g a day you are going to be fine. 150g of protein is adequate, 250 is not necessary, unless you happen to be 250-260 and using. CARB are super important!

but if it works for so many then I guess Il give it a try.

And I dont se a problem with dropping carbs to low leves for a few days every week.

Hum but if your point is true then that would be as folish as dropping protein to almost 0 for a couple of days.

I have never tried it but the protein dropping sounds to me like the most dangerous for muscle mass.

Ohh well Im always interested in new oppinions, do you have any article I can read more about your side of things??

But I have to say that so far I feel great on low carbs. I have increased my strenght lost weight and I feel that I have more energy then ever when I do my cardio.

With right carbs I supose you mean veggies and fruit right??

My plan was to do low carbs for a couple of week and then switch to something like 60/30/10 p/c/f.

But if I find some interesting points about your view I might try what you suggested( I supose you meant p/c/f right??)

If you think cutting carbs is the way to do it and its working for you, go for it. Im giving you common BB knowledge. If I dropped my carbs like that in contest prep I would lose a TON of muscle. No thanks. You can find articles ALL OVER the internet on eating carbs and obviously you need to do some reading up. Buy some books. I recommend the Nutrition Almanac 5th edition for starts.
    Veggies yes but Im talking "complex" carbs. Rice, oatmeal, grains, yams.

I dont think you should ever drop your protein to 0. Im just saying your body does not need "that much" protein. Thats what magazines have kicked into your head. How much protein you need also varies for each individual depending on a number of things.

thats the nice thing with bodybuilding, what works for some wont work for others.

And im determind to try everything and se what works best for me

and about protein I have noticed that I can stay around 100g protein when Im bulking or staying at a certain weight without sufferin from it.
    But if I sometimes shock my body and eat over 200g prot/day then it can gaine like hell for a while and then it declines and I lower protein again.

Can the intestant or stomach get hurt in the long run if not given enough fibers every day??

The only downside with this low carb diet is that every 3-4 day I have to eat extra fibers or else my stomach gets realy realy bad.

Is the fiber supplements any good???

A little uppdate on my diet.

My strenght have sky rocketed these last weeks.

I think its because Im trying mike mentzers micro pause method and that shit realy works(increased my bench 4 micro pause rep with 15 pounds on one week and after that Im increasing around 2-4 pounds every week, and my barbell curl micro pause 4 rep has gone from 110 pounds to 132 pounds and my dumbell curl has gone from 6 ordinary reps on 44 pounds to 8 reps on 58 pounds).

I havent lost so much weight. I now weight 200 pounds, so I have lost 5 pounds so far.

I wonder if the clen might have something to do with my strenght gains or maby its because I upped my protein intake to 260-300g/day and decreased my carbs to 0 some days(I eat 0 carbs 2 days then I eat around 70g/carbs one day and then 2 days with 0 carbs and so on, this is not set in stone or anything its just bascily what I do, but sometimes I do 4 days in a row without carbs, everything to shock the body, and once a week I have a big eating day when I eat whatever I want and how much of it as I want).

Does anyone else feel that clenbuterol can increase strenght???

I think the carb deplete-carb load coupled by the increase in protein are variables as well. Tough to tell if it's entirely the Mentzer program. All the planets seem to be lined up in your favor though and you are getting a synergistic effect. Unless you test each factor individually... there's no way of knowing. But, who cares, right? You are getting GREAT results. Ride it out, bro!

Yeahh Im sure going to :-)

Down to 196 pounds now and my strenght is still increasing(probably because I changed to a westside routine).
    Damn the weight is coming of slow, gonna go into a full keto diet now with carbs only once a week(no more carbs after workout).
    Im also thinking about dropping my kcal to around 1800-1900/day.

Hum can someone help me check if there is any hidden carbs in anything I eat, I would think that the weightloss should be a little more then it is for me.

Breakfast:
    2 eggs friend in oliv oil and a can of tuna friend in oliv oil and some sallad(I know there is some carbs in it, But I have heard that the ammount is so small that it doesnt matter).
    (Not calculating the sallad)kcal=329 Prot=48g carbs=1g Fat=15g

Post workout.
    A protein drink mixed with water and 2 whole eggs and 5g glutamin.
    kcal=367 Prot=58g carbs=1g fat=9g

Dinner.
    Fried moose with some low fat sour cream(I know there is some carbs in it but is it enough to put me out of ketosis)??
    kcal=543 Prot=52 carbs=2g fat=31g

Snack.
    Protein powder mixed with water and 2 whole eggs.
    kcal=274 Prot=39g Carbs=1g Fat=9g

Before bed.
    200g of chicken breast
    kcal=324 Prot=46 Carbs=0g Fat=10g

Total kcal=1836 prot=242g Carbs=5g Fat=72g

Thats a pretty ordinary day for me when I eat clean all day and dont eat anything to high in fat. I also supplement everyday with 5-10g och omega-3 and multivitamin, potatisium,kalcium,magnesium, zink.
    Im right now on a off week from clenbuterol .

Does this look okay or have I forgotten some hidden carb source????(I have calculated everything with www.fitday.com and I have custom made most of the things I eat because I weight everything in grams)

edraven29 is offline Associate Member
    cutting carbs is what works for me, depending on the type of body you have some are more carb sensitive then others.

Most of the weight you will drop in the first 2 weeks will be water weight but then after you will drop bodyfat at a slow rate.

You gotta eat protein and fats to get all your calories.

I have add good results with this in the past and am doing it now but the right way, i was on a high protein low fat and carb diet and its true that i add lost a lot of muscles.

I dont think you should be low carb all the time, on weekend you gotta give yourself a brake, eat carbs and when monday rolls around you go back low carb.

I have gone easy on the carbs on weekends eating good ones instead of sugar, well not this weekend but the other 2, and i havent put on weight, going down steady right now from 212 to 204.

I will do this for the time behing or til i get rid of all my lovehanldes, its hard takes discipline but this time i want it more then anything else.

I donbt know my BF% but i can tell you that finally my lovehandles are melting and it just feels good.

Ok another possibly stupid question.
    Im gotten realy sick and tired of the keto food, so now once a day I make 2 sausage sandwiches witch in total contains 19g carbs.
    is that enough carbs to effect my ketosis???

bump?!?

down to 194 pounds now and strenght still raising.

Got my ketotifen now so Im going to run clenbuterol nonstop until Im out of it(maby going to buy some more clen to).

Going to eat metformin on my carb upp day and the 2 days after that to get me back into ketosis faster.

Damn its a good feeling to get into some old pants that used to be to tight like 3 months ago and now they are to big

Does anyone else here get the shits realy bad while on a keto diet??

It has been pouring out of my ass now for the last 2 weeks .
    I realy need to go and buy a fiber supplement, but havent had time yet.

Thread Information