locutus is offline Associate Member

Question What do you use to test your body fat?

So I did a search on this and not sure if I am not using the right order of search words but I can’t seem to come up with this info on here. What do you use to measure body fat at home? I go to a local gym and they use this little white device that you grab hold of and hope for the best. It’s an OMRON fat loss monitor HBF-306. I purchased one myself. Should I feel comfortable with what it says? Do I need to get calipers? Do I need to get a "tanita" scale that I step on? My workout partner says the only true way to test body fat is to do something with water and displacement or something.

What do the rest of you use for testing body fat and how accurate do you think your method is?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Unless you do a hydrostatic test @ a University or someplace professional, forget it.

Those hand held things are piecies of sh*t.

~SC~

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    I just got my a hydrostatic test at my gym. I have a bodyfat scale at home too and it was telling me my % was almost double what it really is. The scale is a good indicator of whether your BF % is going up or down, but don't use it for an accurate measurement.

soontoberipped is offline Associate Member
    I would say just use the mirror and work till your happy. Then work some more.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Calipers

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Unless you do a hydrostatic test @ a University or someplace professional, forget it.

Those hand held things are piecies of sh*t.

~SC~
    This is very true. Last summer I was working out like a mad man. I used to be obese. Was for many years and sarted working out 5 years ago. Every time I was tested with the calbers they came up with numbers like 12% and the electrode thing tested around 11% Was finally tested at a Univerity in NJ to learn that I was actuall below 8%. My frustration was that I could not see lower abs. As it turned out, the skin siply will not tighten any more becuse of my past obesity and advanced years. When the callibers were being used the gym guy was simply measuring skin and counting it as fat -- not the same.

The point is, that Swole's point is quite valid. I think that he, and possibly others have said in the past that the best test is looking in the mirror.

I still say that the callibers can be used as a bench mark, but you really cant take ano methods other then hydrostatic to seriously. The difference between 12% and 8% is a 50% error.
    Last edited by beenie; 03-31-2005 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soontoberipped
    I would say just use the mirror and work till your happy. Then work some more.

Words to live by!

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    I just got my a hydrostatic test at my gym. I have a bodyfat scale at home too and it was telling me my % was almost double what it really is. The scale is a good indicator of whether your BF % is going up or down, but don't use it for an accurate measurement.
    That is one hell of a gym that offers a hydrostatic test! To what gym do you belong?

Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    That is one hell of a gym that offers a hydrostatic test! To what gym do you belong?
    My gym itself doesn't offer the service. There's a guy that does it out of a big truck and I think he comes to my city once a month and he goes to a few gyms around town.

My gym itself doesn't offer the service. There's a guy that does it out of a big truck and I think he comes to my city once a month and he goes to a few gyms around town.
    That is sooooo kewl. I would LOVE to see it!

Maybe he will come to New York one day. Hope is truck doesn't spring a leak in the Holland tunnel.

Actually, I think he's from NYC. I live upstate. I'll see if I have his card. I forget the name of his company.

Actually, I think he's from NYC. I live upstate. I'll see if I have his card. I forget the name of his company.
    You aren't confusing him the the Mitzva mobile on 46th Street, right?

Seriously, PM me with the contact info if you find it. Would be kewl. Last time I got tested I had to go all the way to New Jersey. Major pain in the tush!
    Last edited by beenie; 03-31-2005 at 11:53 AM.

Thread Information