Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

More fat less protein

If carbs are keept low(30-50g on rest days, 100-130g on workout days). What would happen if protein is lowered from like 300grams to 200 grams and fat increased to make upp for the kcal? Now the big part of the protein that is lowered will be from semi poor sources(like tuna, chicken(I assume chicken and tuna is of less quality then beef simply because mamals are closer related to humans then fish or fowl))I would still keep the better quality protein from beef, eggs and shakes.

Would it be more probable to lose muscle mass? Would it slow down fat burning and make the diet less effective? Im just wondering because
    protein rich food=expensive
    Flax and olive oil=cheap

This would roughly make my diet

45% protein
    45% fat(all fat from eggs, flax and oliv oil)
    10% carbs on rest days (10 grams from a diary probiotic product and the rest from fruits and oatmeal)

and

45% protein
    22% fat
    33% carbs on workout days

Instead of roughly as I do now
    65-70% protein
    20% fat
    10% carbs

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Atkins initially made no distinction between fat and protien.

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, protein requires the most calories to digest, fat requires basically none.

You can actually get a lot of quality protein from leafy dark green veggies like spinach, without the fat. The argument of incomplete proteins vs "complete" is actually inaccurate because your body maintains a pool of amino acids to complete them anyway.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    Well, protein requires the most calories to digest, fat requires basically none.

You can actually get a lot of quality protein from leafy dark green veggies like spinach, without the fat. The argument of incomplete proteins vs "complete" is actually inaccurate because your body maintains a pool of amino acids to complete them anyway.
    True, but when you ingest complete proteins from better sources (like meats) you'll do a lot better growing wise!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    True, but when you ingest complete proteins from better sources (like meats) you'll do a lot better growing wise!

~SC~
    I agree, but I felt like his concern was based more around cost. It would take a lot more veggie protein than meat or milk protein, but it would cost less in the long run.

So a switchupp like that would require me to lower total kcal to compensate?

I might give ****loads of veggies as a protein source(besides the whey, beef and eggs offcourse)a try.

But has anyone tried cutting with less protein and more fat and in that case was it to catabolic to work?

beenie is offline Senior Member
    You can actually get a lot of quality protein from leafy dark green veggies like spinach, without the fat.
    Not unless you eat an entire truck full of it Popeye. Last time I checked, 1 cup of spinich, has less than 1 gram of protien. One 6 oz hamburger has 50 grams. You would need to eat 60 cups of spinich to match the protien in 1 burger. Hungry?

I think it's all about finding a balance. Soy is a high quality protein. You can get all the amino acids that you need from soy foods.

One thing to keep in mind with animal based protein is that many of them also contain uric acid which must be disposed of by your body. Not to mention the cholesterol and other byproducts which elevate CR-P levels and contribute to arterial blockage and joint inflamation. There are other considerations like cancer, Kidney Disease, cardiovascular disease, etc.

In attempt to answer your question Johan, I wouldn't personally go with a higher fat diet. If you want to switch it up, I would personally try more quality carb cals (veggies, grains, legumes, etc) and less protein cals. The fat cals should come from good fats. Although the added veggies and such will also give you some good protein. JMO...
    Last edited by co2boi; 04-01-2005 at 07:57 AM.

Thread Information