Thread: Protein

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator

Post Protein

Just recently there have been a lot of posts about protein which type is best and how much we should consume and various other questions.Here are a few things that maybe be woth noting.

What separates a Protein powder from a Meal Replacement?

A protein powder should contain very little other ingredients other than protein.it will contain very small amounts of carbs and fats.Anyhting above 20% in the carb dept will normally be considered a MRP.

What type of Protein should I use?

This varies greatly on the individuals needs and you’re tolerance to the particular protein you are using.Again taste , how easy it mixes and availability as well as price will determine what you will use.

The different types of Protein

Whey
    This is cheap and a good quality protein it is also abundant with a full range of essential amino acids.
    Downside it can be absorbed by the body very quickly and may not all be used for growth and repair.Consume this with other foods and the process will be slowed down

Casein
    This protein moves through the body very slowly and provides a better release window for repairing and growth , but is a bitch to mix!

Soy
    Many reports put it as a “good as animal protein” and the quality is usually questioned.Tests have confirmed that it can reduce Cholesterol levels

Milk Protein
    Can’t go wrong with this one very low cost and good amino acid spec but it does contain Lactose and does make you suffer from gas in large amounts

Egg
    “Natures perfect protein” but to consume the amount the avg. BB needs would be expensive.

Whey protein concentrate Vs whey protein isolate

The Whey protein concentrate will have a varied protein content.This means if you bought a 35% concentrate it would contain 35% protein and 65% carb,fat,and moisture.If it was a 70% concentrate it would have a larger volume of protein.
    Whey protein isolate will only have a protein content of 90% and above.

Can you consume too much protein?

The body does not store protein and the amount required varies from person to person.The avg person will consume between 0.5 and 0.75g per lb of B/W although the US government recommends that it should be 0.8g per kg of B/W.

Most BB consume between 1.0g and 2.0g per lb of B/W. The body can also only consume between 60 and 80 g every 2 hours.Any more than that and it is literally waste

Natural BB should aim for 1-1.5g of protein per lb of B/W
    If you are on a cycle 2g of protein per lb of B/W

Another point worth noting is that if your carbs are not higher enough in the first place all the excess protein you are eating will be wasted by your basic metabolic processes and normal daily activities!

Why use a protein at all?

For your muscles to grow you must achieve a positive nitrogen balance which means you will be creating an anabolic environment within your body and nitrogen is only found in …….Protein! (95% of all nitrogen in the body is found in muscle tissue)

But the flip side to the coin is you can eat all the protein in the world but if you don’t get enough calories from carbs and fat you still won’t grow!

Is it better to get Protein from food or shakes ?

Ideally it has to be food.Protein shakes should only be thought of as a “top up” to you’re daily protein intake.

Diet in general

It takes many years of trial and error to attain a diet that works .What works for me as a 187lb male at 5 10” will not work for a guy who is 250 lb and 6 4” unless he is trying to lose weight!!

Diet will figure in at least 80% of you’re gains.Get the diet right and the training get several years experience under you’re belt and only then are you ready to even consider doing AS.

Be Healthy
    Billy
    P.S I know I posted this on the old board but there have been a few questions asked!!

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Nice post Billy, good info. Thanks man.. that is why I will keep comin back to this board, folks like you take the time and break this Chit down for us and give us good info like this. You da man!

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Nice one!

Improving is offline Anabolic Member
    BUMP! Good post Billy!

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Great Post

Billy,
    Great post as useual, but how do you cook it?

Tobey

ptbyjason Guest
    Great post Billy, keep up the good work.

dammit Billy boy, you got to be a philospher.. maybe in your former life? f?cking awesome post man.. Gosh I am addicted to this freaking board!

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    bump. i agree with ya sicilian, i need some serious rehab. my g/f beginning to hate me. she thinks i'm in a cult

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Bump...Nice post Billy ......I know what you mean dane. We need to start a support group. Im hear every day. Now even weekends. I need a life. My wife want to start shock therapy (every time I log in I get a jolt)

Man, good to see I am not the only problem child here.. man, we need an addiction section on this board. for us board junkies... count me in on the support group! haaa.... maybe that is why my woman doesn't want to come over my house anymore? Daummmm I need help man..

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Sicilian bro, I don't think this has anything to do with your girl not wanting to come over. From you post on peanut butter Id say she is having problems getting the leftovers clean and is sick of smelling like peanut butter all day. j/k bro

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Bump .... A lot of typing there brother..hehe
    I just wanted to say that the body's ability to utilize protein at any one time varies but should be kept to around 40 grams of protein per sitting.... if your intake is 3-400 grams a day well then you may have to eat a few more times.
    anyone not agree ? 40 x 6 meals 240 grams .... 220 lbs BB x 2 grams per lb = 240 , seems more than enough . but do what works for you is always the main thing ....

Good luck on your training .......

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    Gotta bump billy for that one!

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Billy...awsome. You guys are good!

Thread Information