Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator

Raw wieght or cooked wieght

For those of you who mesure your portions with a food scale, do you wiegh your portions of meat (chicken. fish, beef, etc....) when they are cooked or raw?

For example; 4oz of skinless boneless chicken breast has 26g of protein...but that is raw wieght. If you wiegh that same breast after it is cooked, it will wiegh slightly less, but the protein total will be the same.

So just a reminder...for those with food scales...always wiegh your meat when it's raw (again, keep your minds out of the gutter)

Pete

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator

Good advice

You can go to www.nutri-facts.com and they have raw and cooked nutrition information. I cook my food on very low heat, so as to keep moisture, although i always make sure it is fully cooked. My food doesn't lose more than an ounce before and after. That is unless i forget about them being on the grille!! Trust me, i do this once a week, it's annoying, espcially when i cook in bulk. Oh well, life's a bitch.

P

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

After

As a rule I only measure after everything has been cooked seeing as how this is what I am ingesting. That is unless we are speaking in terms of raw osyters!
    IC

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    It depends on what you are cooking for example meat will weigh less due to the fact that it loses water in the cooking process it will also be losing fat.
    If you cook pasta this should be weighed dry as it absorbs water.
    Depends on how accurate your diet is I personally weigh meat raw

Billy

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Interesting Billy

You have a good point concerning pasta. I never thought about the water absorption during cooking. Interesting.
    Tobey

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Good call Billy. When it comes to pasta or rice I usually go by measurement rather than scale wieght. Ex. I'll have 1 cup of cooked brown rice or 1 1/2 cups of cooked wheat pasta. I guess what we're all trying to say is be accurate and consistant when measureing your daily food intake. Guessing at what your eating doesn't cut it. Be as diligent about your diet as you are about your training and supplimentation.

Pete

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    I always go with cooked, makes it easier for all.

Thread Information