taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~

Question Pre/Post WrkOut Q's

First i have heard alot of good things about Bobo from another forum and i heve heard preached over and over about the importance of pre work outmeal and how it should fallow your macronutrients % which would mean for me it would be like 40gPro/30gcarbs/7gFatEFA For PreWorkout. and that this is just as important as pwo/ppwo now my real question comes into play on PWO, he advocates use of oats for your pwo carb NOT PPWO but pwo. stating that due to it being in liquied w/ a lower density that the GI doesnt matter it will still aid in the same manner in Amino Uptake yatta yatta. but then i read about the importants of insulin pwo. i have seen his pics and he looks real good but i just cant grasp his advocation of the use of oats for pwo. can anyone after reading this long winded excerpt please give me a lil reassurance that pro/dex is still the opt way to go?!

xenithon is offline Member
    I could post a link to a certain thread on another certain forum, but won't as I do not believe it is allowed around here . The thread in question (around 60+ pages) has an infinite number of studies, reports, as well as conclusions drawn by many experts in the field about pre/post WO nutrition. It also has many trial & error type reports showing how the suggestions actually work. Lets just say that if the guideline were posted here people would be giving birth to cows

X

Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    I could post a link to a certain thread on another certain forum, but won't as I do not believe it is allowed around here . The thread in question (around 60+ pages) has an infinite number of studies, reports, as well as conclusions drawn by many experts in the field about pre/post WO nutrition. It also has many trial & error type reports showing how the suggestions actually work. Lets just say that if the guideline were posted here people would be giving birth to cows

X
    well then can you give me the jest of it?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    No comment.

I suggest finding what approach is best for you, and use that.

The pros use dextrose, all my clients do, everyone I compete with does, it's like a bodybuilding staple, etc., so I believe that what I am doing is the best and it works for me. Oats pwo is something I'd never do, but that's only my approach. (well, me and those listed above, )

Do you for you, that is key!

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 04-12-2005 at 10:24 AM.

arnoldwannab is offline Associate Member

hell im happy w/ dextrose but i always want MORE and BETTER (obviosly im going to live a well rounded satisfied life )
    but SC is kinda like my dietary spell check
    bring him me info to fix it up
    and the oats i refer to are not the oldfashion low gi ones w/ 40 but the high end starchy ones around 75 since fiber has a negligable affect on insulin and amino uptake when consumed w/ liquid nutrients. but yeah oats w/ pwo shake just confused me
    Last edited by taiboxa; 04-12-2005 at 10:31 AM.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Oats take a long ass time to digest anyhow, not something you want pwo, but to each his very precious own.

~SC~

I agree with SC in that you need to find what works for you, use it as a starting point, and then tweak it until you find your optimum (in terms of composition and quantity). I also agree in that oats are not a very good choice - too high in fiber and fat content. I think a better and more pertinent debate is high vs low GI. Unfortunately this very complex but fascinating debackle (in which both sides I think have fairly even pros and cons) is often mistaken for a straight dextrose vs oats argument which is way too simplified.

well i was still thikning along the lines of using dextrose in conjunction w/ quick oats.. but yeah fat content fergot about that. that seriously nerfs that idea

As said earlier, quick oats are not the only (nor the best) choice for lower GI carb source. And as you highlighted, they are often suggested for use IN COMBO with other sources. In this case, you are getting maybe 1-2g of fat from the oats which is negligible.

As said earlier, quick oats are not the only (nor the best) choice for lower GI carb source. And as you highlighted, they are often suggested for use IN COMBO with other sources. In this case, you are getting maybe 1-2g of fat from the oats which is negligible.
    so then for a more nutritional carb source wat would be used w/ dextrose?

Amongst many other here are two popular choices:

White potato - makes a wicked shake, believe it or not
    White, sticky rice - either blended up or in the form of a rice-pudding (awesome with dex and whey)

Amongst many other here are two popular choices:

White potato - makes a wicked shake, believe it or not
    White, sticky rice - either blended up or in the form of a rice-pudding (awesome with dex and whey)
    umm yea.. i think ima stick w/ dextrose

Thread Information