bRKBEATz is offline Junior Member

Flax oil explanation please

My friend is trying to lose weight. She has a good workout plan but she believes a lot of misinformation about dieting. I keep telling her that she needs fats but she doesn't believe me, she's trying not to eat any fat or carbs every day.

Can someone here please explain why fats are needed for dieting, specifically EFA's in flax oil. I'm looking for a somewhat scientific explanation but one that can be understood by an average person. Maybe that will convince her.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    No fats OR carbs? That just leaves protein and that's insanity.

Fats provide fuel for your body to use for energy while the protein is used to repair and build lean tissue.

Also, your body will hold on to things that it doesn't get on a regular basis. If you don't eat fat, your body will hold on to as much bodyfat as it can. If you consume healthy fats on a regular basis, it will let bodyfat go as it assumes more will be coming in the next meal.

Well she eats fats and carbs in very small amounts, she just looks at both of them as "bad" no matter what the circumstance.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    efa's are important because the fat you eat are used to produce cell membranes and the wall of veins ect. If the fat is efa's the membranes will become flexible soft and the cell will work good. If the fat is saturated fat or transfats the membranes will become rigid and wont work as good. It will make shuttling of nutrities in and out of the cell more dificult and that will lower fat burning(since ALL of the burning takes place inside the cells), it will also increase the likelyhood of strokes and nasty **** like that.

Also lack of efa's creates alot more oxidation in the body. Oxidation creates free radicals that is cancerogenic, lowers imune defence and it also obviously effects fatburning negativly(since the body wont work properly it wont burn fat properly).

If she doestn eat any fat at all she will die. If the only fat she consumes are miniscule ammounts of bad fats she will become horribly unhealthy. Neither is good for fatburning.

I guess that is enough reason to eat efa's?? Also tell her her skin will become drie, her hair will look like **** and nails quality will diminish if he doesnt eat efa's. Also it effects brainfunctions negativly to have a diet low in efa's.

Need more reasons
    Last edited by Kärnfysikern; 04-12-2005 at 02:24 PM.

basicly her inside will oxidise, her outside will deteriate(sp?), her brain will mailfunction.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Since she's your friend and not your girlfriend, ignore her and who cares, let her stay fat.

~SC

Smile

Thanks I'll copy paste that in an email to her

She actually one of the hottest girls I've ever met, she's just self conscious and thinks she needs to lose like 10 lbs.

good luck in convincing her. Its sad to se people hurt themself because of plain stupidity or just beeing stuborn.

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    This may convince her. Some scientists argue that it is extremely unlikely that the stomach will break down protein for energy. However, it has not really been tested, because it is unethical (too dangerous) to have a live subject consume nothing but protein. She will lose some weight the first day or so and then her body will go into a deprivation mode and attempt to preserve as much energy as possible. She will lose lean muscle mass, which normally burns calories. She may also reach a potassium imbalance, and end up as the next Terry Shiavo.

zuke is offline Member
    i wish women (well, all people actually) would stop worrying about weight and consider body composition as an indicator of fitness levels

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Since she's your friend and not your girlfriend, ignore her and who cares, let her stay fat.

~SC
    amen

Nutz56 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zuke
    i wish women (well, all people actually) would stop worrying about weight and consider body composition as an indicator of fitness levels
    i'm with u on this one bro. my ex always talks about how she needs to lose weight. complains about her thighs and her butt and this and that... yet she's 5'7 122 lbs (perfect size)... and she has a few pounds carried around in her umm... funbags... and all her friends tell her she's anorexic. i hate it. but i try to tell her the right way to get rid of whatever fat she thinks she has so she doesn't hurt herself (sad thing is she's training to become a nurse and i know one hell of a lot more about the body than she does). basically, i'd tell ur friend to stop worryin about it, but if she won't listen to u then do what these guys are sayin

Thread Information