J-F
    J-F is offline Associate Member

Calories with A.M Cardio

(been posted into the workout forum but I assume they dont do AM cardio since nobody replyed !)

According to your trainer's computer, how much cals do you burn on your am cardio ? Please provide Time, Calories and type of cardio.

I do 40 minutes on a Bike and burn about 320 cals staying at 130-140 BPM.

(Note that if i do evening cardio, for the same itensity/time i would burn 450 cals on Bike and 700 on eliptical)

But is 320 clas for morning cardio is any good ? how much do you guys get ?

cjp85 is offline Member
    It's also very dependent on the weight that you enter. I burn around 800-850. I used to get up into the thousands, but since I've dropped a lot of weight I try not to burn too much at a time, especially on an empty stomach. I weigh about 245 right now.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I never bothered to concern myself w/cals burned. I do cardio to mobilize fat stores and get that moving, as well as basic conditioning. The calorie thing doesn't mean squat.

~SC~

bigdogc is offline Associate Member
    hey brothers, i just ran my first AM cardio, it sucks compared to my normal 6pm time. but anyway, do you burn more calories in the morning or what? i thought burning calories was depedent on the BPM heart rate factor? can someone explain to my why we run in the morning for more fat loss? i know you are hungry as hell, but you are just going to eat right after you run so why cant you do it before? if you eat afterwards you are just putting that many calories back in your system? bah... i think i have confused myself

First off, I don't run.

Ever.

I do 65-75% of my MHR for 45 mins. and I'm golden.

If I do an evening session, my last meal is 2.5 hours before and it's a shake w/flax.

Both times will burn fat nicely, but running will take you over that 65-75% mark and beat up your muscles like Tyson on crack.

~SC~

cjp85 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogc
    hey brothers, i just ran my first AM cardio, it sucks compared to my normal 6pm time. but anyway, do you burn more calories in the morning or what? i thought burning calories was depedent on the BPM heart rate factor? can someone explain to my why we run in the morning for more fat loss? i know you are hungry as hell, but you are just going to eat right after you run so why cant you do it before? if you eat afterwards you are just putting that many calories back in your system? bah... i think i have confused myself
    It's not about burning more in the morning, it's about utilizing where the calories are coming from. In the mornings, your stomach is empty and your glycogen is depleted, so instead of burning whats in your stomach or your blood sugar, you are burning mostly stored fat.

****, i wish i was smarter in this area. i understand kinda what you are saying, but im not exactly sure about all the glycogen stuff. do yall know of any good websites that have a lot of basic information on how nutritrion works? im very new to this whole thing.. but i will be running in the morning 4 times a week for 45min-1 hour, ill let yall know how the results are.

cjp85 is offline Member
    There's a lot of info right here. Use that search feature and look up glycogen in the diet forum, I'm sure you will get a few really good posts.

****, i wish i was smarter in this area. i understand kinda what you are saying, but im not exactly sure about all the glycogen stuff. do yall know of any good websites that have a lot of basic information on how nutritrion works? im very new to this whole thing.. but i will be running in the morning 4 times a week for 45min-1 hour, ill let yall know how the results are.
    AGAIN, why would you be RUNNING?

~SC~

SHRED is offline Senior Member
    i do 45-60 min on the elliptical at 65% of my max heart rate and burn between 600-800 calories.

In the AM on empty.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-F
    (been posted into the workout forum but I assume they dont do AM cardio since nobody replyed !)

?

why wouldnt i be running? its more fun than the machines at the gym

niXon)( is offline Member
    why wouldnt i be running? its more fun than the machines at the gym
    I don't think you get the main idea here guy...

will someone please tell me the main idea? i thought target heart rate for 45-60 minutes was a good cardio workout? and plus i have a ****load of stamina now

It is, but running usually people end up having their muscles eaten away instead of just fat. If i can walk at an incline and have my heart rate at 60-70%, how slow do you run? running usually goes way up in the % area...and you end up burning fat, along with muscle especially on empty stomach

Quote Originally Posted by niXon)(
    I don't think you get the main idea here guy...

No, he doesn't.

If you like running, so be it.

~SC~

longhornDr is offline Member
    For 60 minutes at 60-70%: 800-900 on an elliptical, goes up to 1000-1100 if i take ECA....the numbers may not mean much by themselves but if you always use the same machines you can gauge your relative effort.

hmm this makes sense. im sorry that im a newbie and dont know about this. but if i walk for an hour instead of run im actualy helping my body out more? i always just thought that if i sucked it up and ran even though it sucked i would burn more fat. i guess not! can i do a stairclimber? because i got one at my house! and for how long? (assuming i want to keep muscle mass)

J-F
    J-F is offline Associate Member
    hmmmm, you guys seems to burn way more cals on your a.m cardio than I do! Im not to upset beacose my results are good but still... !

hmm this makes sense. im sorry that im a newbie and dont know about this. but if i walk for an hour instead of run im actualy helping my body out more? i always just thought that if i sucked it up and ran even though it sucked i would burn more fat. i guess not! can i do a stairclimber? because i got one at my house! and for how long? (assuming i want to keep muscle mass)
    yea man stair climb away. keep it 60-70% for 45-60 if you're cutting, i forget if you are or not.

Quote Originally Posted by J-F
    hmmmm, you guys seems to burn way more cals on your a.m cardio than I do! Im not to upset beacose my results are good but still... !
    That's what I am thinking. If I have some extra time I am going to PM some of these high caloric number guys and get some info and plug it into a hellaciously long metabolic equation and see how close it is, might be dead on, who knows.

how do i know if im at 70% MHR?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    check your pulse
    MHR = 220 - age
    then take 70% of that number
    i.e. 20year old MHR is 200
    140Beats Per Min is 70%

Do you just post the same questions in different forums?
    Your question has also been answered in the workout forum, check the threads. . .

alphaman is offline Member
    There's another formula that factors in your resting heart rate that's supposed to be more accurate. Mine comes up the same on both equations though...

Search for target heart rate calculator on google.

Thread Information