dr.shred is offline Senior Member

why I can't cheat....

Ok guys, I know I wrote the thread a while back why cheating is not necessary and really I only think it is once a month, but anyways its more of a problem for me then most. I don't mean physically because I have a fast metabolism and could probably get away with it a few times a week. Last night I cheated, a long awaited cheat, all the good stuff cookies, icecream, cereal. Today I feel guilty. I know I deserved it, but I feel like I killed months of training in one meal. I know this is not true, but mentally this is who I feel. Just did 75 min of cardio walking and burned about 1200 calories. I feel like I need to do extra cardio just to make up for this meal. Anyways I was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem mentally. I know I am not gonna gain like extra body fat from one meal, but it is just more of a mental killer for me...it sux i know. At this point I feel like I never want to cheat again.

-SHRED

I feel your pain bro. I think everyone goes through the same guilt. If it makes you feel better, I cheated all weekend and I am on a cutting diet. Sux. It was my anniversary and I just wanted to do whatever the wife felt like doing this weekend. Cest la vie. Did cardio this AM and will bust my butt like I always do, going forward.

I think we will always feel guilty, whether it is a whole weekend or one meal. What I DON'T understand are those that work all week in the gym only to eat like pigs and get fubar'd all weekend long. That is a shame. Your guilt just goes to show how much pride you have in what you have accomplished. I think it is somewhat good that you feel guilty, but I wouldn't let it ruin your week bro.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast All Star
    I feel your pain bro. I think everyone goes through the same guilt. If it makes you feel better, I cheated all weekend and I am on a cutting diet. Sux. It was my anniversary and I just wanted to do whatever the wife felt like doing this weekend. Cest la vie. Did cardio this AM and will bust my butt like I always do, going forward.

I think we will always feel guilty, whether it is a whole weekend or one meal. What I DON'T understand are those that work all week in the gym only to eat like pigs and get fubar'd all weekend long. That is a shame. Your guilt just goes to show how much pride you have in what you have accomplished. I think it is somewhat good that you feel guilty, but I wouldn't let it ruin your week bro.
    thanks bro...I am glad to see I am not the only one that really feels the guilt.
    I think really the guilt is the worst part and almost makes me want to never cheat again to not have to feel it. I think I would rather be miserable of eating the same meals day and day out then cheating once and a while, but thats just me.

-SHRED

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member

well said bro...
    I've got the same problem mentally so i usually time it to where when i do have a cheat meal, it's before i workout so at least some of it gets burned off and used for energy. don't sweat it bro. Ice cream cookies and cereal does sound good though mmmmm...

I think it is so funny that we all have a craving for cereal. I could eat a whole box of good cereal and barely blink. It would be over so fast.

I think it is so funny that we all have a craving for cereal. I could eat a whole box of good cereal and barely blink. It would be over so fast.
    hahaha, ya a whole box no problem. I love cookies though, ever since i was a little kid. I make the good ones too, homemade. I forgot to mention I made homemade ihop pancakes for breakfast....****.

-SHRED

lol yes cereal is the best. especially late night when you know you don't need it...

gettankd is offline Associate Member
    I feel guilty even when I don't eat the exact same thing everyday. By eating what I had planned I know exactly what's in the meal from a caloric aspect. Yesterday I had some left over taco meat and brocoli. I didn't by the meat so I'm not sure how fatty it was and that bugs they hell out of me. Though I don't look any worse off today, so I know it's all in my head. On that note I am cheating today!

Quote Originally Posted by gettankd
    I feel guilty even when I don't eat the exact same thing everyday. By eating what I had planned I know exactly what's in the meal from a caloric aspect. Yesterday I had some left over taco meat and brocoli. I didn't by the meat so I'm not sure how fatty it was and that bugs they hell out of me. Though I don't look any worse off today, so I know it's all in my head. On that note I am cheating today!
    gonna eat any cereal??

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Dude, i get the same feeling. WHat is this? It sucks. I cheated on Sunday (i had a whole digorno pizza and a big bowl of cereal) and I felt like i was right back where I was when I started this cutting diet/cardio. I think it is just bc the extra carbs/sodium just make you hold onto more water and you get really full and just feel bloated. I went and did cardio first thing this morning though for an hour and burned 900 cals, and I feel like i am right back on track. Probably just the water. I am thinking about cutting back my cheat days to every other week now, or just do one cheat meal a week.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I used to be like that. Nowdays I get more and more distance towards diet and workouts and I realise a day of cheating wont make me fat and that a poor workout wont stop me from gaining ect.

But just 1 year ago I was to obsessed and the year before that I had some serious eating disorders where I could almost cry if I cheated and I was so obsessed with every workout that if I lost the tiniest bit of strenght I would feel like **** for atleast a week. Missing a meal would make me feel like I had ****ed upp the entire day.

But going around feeling gulity because I enjoy the good things in life made me miserable and burned me out mentaly that and other things made me crash very hard(suicidal, major depressions ect) and now I feel that, sure I want to get into good shape. But not if it means killing myself mentaly and physicaly to do so. I think its to easy to get way to obsessed when it comes to bodybuilding and that obsession is very unhealthy(mostly mentaly).
    I will never be a pro or even a decent amature so I just lift now because I love it.

But then again I am a half nut lol. First I was fat, then I became borderline anorectic(not bodily but I was a anorectic mentaly, ran every morning, workouts every day, wrestling 3 times a week, gymclass twice a week all the while not eating ****). I just think if a hobby goes so far that it makes you feel bad for doing normal things then something is out of line. Its one thing to be strick when dieting hardcore for 10-12 weeks and making sacrifices.
    But I cant possibly imagine having that kind of disciplin year round can be good mentaly.

look at it this way instead. You work hard all week so you can enjoy cheating during one day. That way there is no guilt. Its the imidiet reward for the hard work(while the big reward is looking ace offcourse but small rewards are needed). Totaly guiltfree cheating

TotoSYDFan is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    Ok guys, I know I wrote the thread a while back why cheating is not necessary and really I only think it is once a month, but anyways its more of a problem for me then most. I don't mean physically because I have a fast metabolism and could probably get away with it a few times a week. Last night I cheated, a long awaited cheat, all the good stuff cookies, icecream, cereal. Today I feel guilty. I know I deserved it, but I feel like I killed months of training in one meal. I know this is not true, but mentally this is who I feel. Just did 75 min of cardio walking and burned about 1200 calories. I feel like I need to do extra cardio just to make up for this meal. Anyways I was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem mentally. I know I am not gonna gain like extra body fat from one meal, but it is just more of a mental killer for me...it sux i know. At this point I feel like I never want to cheat again.

-SHRED
    Obcession is what lazy people call dedication.....Dont feel guilty bro... Everyone has to cheat once and a while. Some people (like you) workout to improve their body and see results, while some people(like everyone else) works out during the week to make up for all the harm they have put on their body... Keep up the hard work bro!
    -Totosydfan-

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    My cheat days are:
    "Extra" mayo in my tuna
    "Flavored" oatmeal
    "Several" servings of peanut butter
    That's all I allow myself, otherwise, it feels like one cheat day sets me back weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    My cheat days are:
    "Extra" mayo in my tuna
    "Flavored" oatmeal
    That's all I allow myself, otherwise, it feels like one cheat day sets me back weeks!

Put me in a padded cell and call it a life. If I cheated like that I would be certifiable, fo sho. For me cheating is big honkin pizza with a couple of beers or an endless amount of pasta and/or cereal.

Put me in a padded cell and call it a life. If I cheated like that I would be certifiable, fo sho. For me cheating is big honkin pizza with a couple of beers or an endless amount of pasta and/or cereal.
    It would take me 10 days to return to normal after that. I would gain 5-6lbs of water!

HAHA, **** right

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    You don't even wanna see my cheat day.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    You don't even wanna see my cheat day.

~SC~
    WHy what's it like swole? Is all food fair game, or do you still watch it some?

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Adding 5-6 lbs of water is only an issue if you are closing in on a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    Adding 5-6 lbs of water is only an issue if you are closing in on a competition.
    Of which, I am~

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Of which, I am~

Good luck.

SHRED is offline Senior Member
    My cheat days are:
    "Extra" mayo in my tuna
    "Flavored" oatmeal
    thats a cheat day??????

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff_Daddy
    thats a cheat day??????

bigdogc is offline Associate Member
    hey mahn dont get too down on yourself!! i didnt know wakling for 75 minutes killed 1200 calories. i run for an hour, how many calories am i burning? anyway, if you think your story is bad, ive been out since friday. probably lost 5 pounds of muscle with my strep throat fever etc. non stop sweating with minumum amount of food. and i didnt know cereal was what yall used on cheat days? i get total protein and eat that stuff all the time, its good and has a lot of protein

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogc
    hey mahn dont get too down on yourself!! i didnt know [B]wakling for 75 minutes killed 1200 calories. i run for an hour, how many calories am i burning? anyway, if you think your story is bad, ive been out since friday. probably lost 5 pounds of muscle with my strep throat fever etc. non stop sweating with minumum amount of food. and i didnt know cereal was what yall used on cheat days? i get total protein and eat that stuff all the time, its good and has a lot of protein
    you bet it does!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by spound
    WHy what's it like swole? Is all food fair game, or do you still watch it some?
    The only thing I watch is the food disappear.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    The only thing I watch is the food disappear.

~SC~
    haha I would like to see it...

Quote Originally Posted by spound
    Dude, i get the same feeling. WHat is this? It sucks. I cheated on Sunday (i had a whole digorno pizza and a big bowl of cereal) and I felt like i was right back where I was when I started this cutting diet/cardio. I think it is just bc the extra carbs/sodium just make you hold onto more water and you get really full and just feel bloated. I went and did cardio first thing this morning though for an hour and burned 900 cals, and I feel like i am right back on track. Probably just the water. I am thinking about cutting back my cheat days to every other week now, or just do one cheat meal a week.

PHUCK! Now i really feel bad, I stepped on the scale today after my cheat day (sunday) and I am up 7 freaking lbs. ****, talk about holding some water, i thought i felt and looked a hell of a lot fuller today, definately gonna cut it back to at least every 10 days

go4gold is offline Member

-SHRED
    How do did u burn 1200 cal walking, i run almost 45 min and burn like 400. I know you are doing cardio for 75 min, but how fast are u walking and is it at an incline.

Nutz56 is offline Banned
    haha I would like to see it...
    don't know if u're referring to SC's cheat day, but if so then yeah, i'd like to see it too. i figure the Diet Guru-Investment Baller wouldn't get too out of hand on a cheat day... but my cheat days consist of carbs... and lots of them (and usually a cheeseburger or 2)... and an oatmeal cream pie (or 2) and occasionally a pop. wow, i love cheating............

Quote Originally Posted by go4gold
    How do did u burn 1200 cal walking, i run almost 45 min and burn like 400. I know you are doing cardio for 75 min, but how fast are u walking and is it at an incline.
    I burn over 900 cals in an hour walking on about a 11 degree incline at 3.0-3.2 MPH...I weigh around 230 though, but i burn more this way than running on a flat surface

Let me ask you all(that never cheat) this question. Is it worth it to rob yourself of the pleasure of real tasty food just to maby have 1-2% lower bodyfat if you arent even going to compete

go4gold is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Let me ask you all(that never cheat) this question. Is it worth it to rob yourself of the pleasure of real tasty food just to maby have 1-2% lower bodyfat if you arent even going to compete
    just as long as i have my abs show well, thats all i want.

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'

-SHRED
    Yeah,you do look a bit chunky in your avatar.....jk

I'm the same way, we're all sick bastards if you ask me!

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    I think a carb-up day once a week is actually beneficial... fills up the muscle bellies, and then the next day or two you look a LOT leaner cuz of the loading/depletion.

dutchman718 is offline Junior Member
    It took me quite a long time to feel "comfortable" eating a cheat meal. I would always think it was killing my entire week or month and would never really want to cheat. Once I went for ten months without a cheat then I just lost it and went nuts for TWO months. That will never happen again. Now I cheat once a week (1 meal) for 8 months out of the year. The other 4 months I cheat twice a week(winter).

dutchman718 is offline Junior Member
    Since I have become a member to AR I realized I am not the only one out there that thinks the way I do. This board is GREAT!!!!

THe way i look at it is, that cheat meals are mainly for keeping you sane while on a strict cutting diet for long periods of time, but I dont think they are a complete necessity for progressive BF loss. I dont think cheating is necessary until you get into the low BF %'s, like signle digits, and it is getting hard for you to get any lower. If this is the case, i feel cheating is essential and a whole cheat day may even be necessary to continue losing fat, b/c of the metabolism boost. At least from my experience. It gives me more motiviation to get extremely lean too b/c then i can give my self a whole cheat day

Thread Information