Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet

Summary Recommendations On Oils

Summary Recommendations On Oils
    by Udo Erasmus

Let me begin by stating that I do not recommend using flax oil, except in combination with other oils that provide the n-6 (omega-6) essential fat, which is sorely inadequate in flax oil. Flax oil is, however, useful as part of an oil blend, where what it lacks in n-6 is provided by other oils in the mixture. By the way, I only recommend using oils pressed from organically grown seeds and nuts.

To supply the component that flax oil lacks, I add sunflower and sesame oil (n-6 sources; no n-3) to flax (source of n-3; too little n-6). All three of these oils contain 'minor ingredients' with major health benefits. I use rice germ and oat germ oils as further sources of valuable 'minor ingredients'. I use evening primrose oil (organically grown) as the source of GLA (n-6 derivative) as well as for its rather impressive 'minor ingredients'. I use medium chain triglycerides or organic coconut oil as sources of anti-microbial fatty acids. GMO-free lecithin helps to emulsify and digest oils. I augment the antioxidants naturally present in all of the above oils with tocotrienols, to further stabilize the Udo's Choice Oil Blend.

In addition to the seeds from which these oils are pressed, I recommend almonds (n-6; no n-3), hazelnuts (low in n-6; no n-3), and walnuts (small amount of n-3; more n-6) as highly nutritious snacks associated with longevity.

- I recommend against using oils from corn, soybean, canola, safflower, and peanut because they are damaged during processing and the beneficial 'minor ingredients' are removed as well. If oil does not say 'unrefined' on its label, it has been processed through modern manufacturing methods.
    - I recommend against using borage because I cannot guarantee its safety and non-toxicity.

- I do not recommend black currant seed oil because of the processing used to make the oil (which is identical as the processing used for 'cooking oils').
    - I recommend against plastic for packaging oils (as well as water, juices, milk, and other liquids).
    - I recommend against partially hydrogenated vegetable oils and all products that contain them.
    - I recommend against the use of 'cooking oils' because of damaging processing that removes healthful ingredients and produces toxic molecules.

- I recommend against margarines that 'contain no trans-fatty acids' because some of them do contain trans-fatty acids. Those that don't contain trans fats are made from 'cooking oils' that have been treated with NaOH (a corrosive based used to treat clogged sinks), H3PO4 (window washing acid), bleaching clays (which turn them rancid and impart bad odor), and are then de-odorized at frying temperature.
    - I recommend against using oils for frying because frying damages oils by the simultaneous destruction due to light, oxygen, and heat.
    - I recommend against the use of fish oils because of processing damage and toxicity because of pollutants found in the oil.
    - I recommend against the use of CLA, because it is a trans-fatty acid. It is not better than n-3 and n-6 essential fats which are the ones we need and cannot live without. CLA does many things less effectively than essential fats, and at truly effective doses (used in animal studies), CLA can have some nasty, health-damaging side effects.

Let me make one final point. Every kind of oil and every packaging method on this planet is available to me. If I use it, there is a reason. If I don't use it, there is a reason. A great deal of research and consideration goes into every choice I make. The question, 'Does it benefit health?' drives all of these choices.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Great stuff!

~SC~

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    What's in your avatar bro? I can't quite make it out.... is it Predator?

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm using a combination borage/flax/fish oil. And it's in a plastic bottle! Am I going to die?!?!?!?!?!

Thread Information