slowpain is offline Associate Member

just whey before AM cardio

why is it everyone here says to do cardio in the morning without consuming some whey protein? Wouldnt the protein help keep you from breaking down muscle tissue? I know not to eat fat or carbs b4 cardio but why not protein?

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    You don't want anything in your stomach, so you use your stored fat as energy during your cardio session... instead of a macro that's you've just ingested.

Your diet for the rest of the day is what will prevent catabolism.

arnoldwannab is offline Associate Member
    If you eat protein before cardio, your body will use the protein for engery instead of stored body fat

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpain
    why is it everyone here says to do cardio in the morning without consuming some whey protein?
    I assume because "everyone" knows wtf they are talking about.

~SC~

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I assume because "everyone" knows wtf they are talking about.

~SC~
    ROFL you can say only because I HAVENT posted on this thread yet!

what about glutamine before cardio, is that ok for maximum fat loss?

arnoldwannab is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpain
    what about glutamine before cardio, is that ok for maximum fat loss?
    That will have no effect on fat loss, however, it will help with preserving muscle while on a low calorie diet.

Yes, glutamine before cardio many do, and I do as well.

Whether or not it really helps, who knows, but it most certainly doesn't hurt.

~SC~

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I would suggest you drop 5g of Glutamine before cardio every morning, like said above many do and i do as well.

alright cool I will do that, thanks bros.

FCRS is offline New Member
    Everybody's body is different, but....

i don't like doing cardio on an empty stomach... you will lose weight quickly, but a lot of it will be muscle. In the morning your body will be in a catabolic state due to high levels of cortisol (this will probably be somewhat easier if you're on cycle at the time, as juice surpreses cortisol), and if you have nothing in your stomach, your body will not burn fat, it will prefer to burn muscle.

I know most people probably disagree on this, but think about it this way... If you're starving in a desert, will your body choose to burn fat or protein? It will choose protein first as that ensures your metabolism drops fast, and you will survive the longest. The same mechanism is at work when you do cardio on an empty stomach.

Take 30 grams of oats, and/or some sugarfree whey. A little bit of carbs and protein will not hurt you, it will increase your metablism as the food is being digested, and it is out of your system inthe first 20 min of cardio anyway, at which point your body is free to burn fat. You will be able to work out at a higher intensity, won't loose muscle, and won't pass out during cardio (it happens).

gET EM!

Quote Originally Posted by FCRS
    Take 30 grams of oats, and/or some sugarfree whey. A little bit of carbs and protein will not hurt you, it will increase your metablism as the food is being digested, and it is out of your system inthe first 20 min of cardio anyway, at which point your body is free to burn fat. You will be able to work out at a higher intensity, won't loose muscle, and won't pass out during cardio (it happens).
    Will take more than 20mins. Oats slows digestion first of all b/c of the fibre.

Your logic is skewed bro. Seriously, performing cardio after you've just ingested a meal is NOT a good idea. If it works for you, great.

But for the remaining 99.9% of us, empty stomach cardio is where it's at.

Read this as well: http://forums.anabolicreview.com/sho...d.php?t=145057
    Last edited by Blown_SC; 04-18-2005 at 11:49 PM.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Slowpain, who is that slut in your avatar?

No disrespect bro....

but i never said do cardio immidiately after eating... obviously that's never a good idea as all the blood is rushed to your stomach, and it can cause discomfort... But, a half-hour to an hour after eating is no problem. Furthermore, we're only talking about eating 150 kcals or so here, if you burn 700kcal a cardio session (for the sake of argument, 45min, moderate intensity running), those other 550kcal have to come from somewhere, and if your body is not in a catabolic state, you can be sure that those calories are not coming from the muscles, but most likely fats.

If you use up 700 kcal during an am empty stomach cardio session, you can be sure that at least half of thos4e calories will be used up by breaking down amino acids. Nobody is able to burn fat while starving oneself.

Also, there's a lot of confusion on this issue, and i realise that people do react to am cardio differently (especially if you're on steroids at the same time) but this issue is not as cut and dry as most people make it out to be.

My apologies, I thought you were insinuating he do cardio directly afterwards, from your comment 'the first 20 minutes'. I misunderstood, I thought you meant directly afterwards.

You're right, waiting a couple hours after eating isn't bad, but, if you eat properly the rest of the day, and especially before bed, your chances of becoming catabolic from AM Cardio are slim. Some ppl also ingest glutamine pre-cardio in an effort to help prevent it.

no prob... I agree with you that catabolism will nor be a problem for everybody, especially for members who are running steroids ...

Like anything it depends upon the individual, and what nutrition/suplements/type of cardio is being ran.

Peace out, I should be studying for exams rather than hanging out here...

xenithon is offline Member
    I personally take in one scoop of whey in water. About 100 cals, 22-23g protein. Take it in upon waking, then stretch, get ready, drive to gym and do cardio. Cardio starts about 45-50 minutes after the whey. I found this helped keep me lean without excess muscle loss (which I was experiencing when doing cardio on empty). Nothing else in the diet change, so there were no other factors.

Keep in mind I am maintaining/looking to add lean, quality mass. Not bulking, not cutting. If you need to lose a lot of fat, or are prepping for contest etc. perhaps do it without the whey. It also depends how your body responds to the various scenarios, and how easily you lose both bodyfat and muscle mass with fasted cardio.

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Slowpain, who is that slut in your avatar?
    It looks a little like Aria Giovanni

wow people seem to be advocating methods of performing cardio in a manner that would be correlated to health benefits instead of efficient fat burning... strange but.. OK!
    who cares about lipolysis and burning fat... so lets eat firstTHEN do cardio and get in shape but hold on to our excess fat and hope we can loose it through a catabolic process by a an extremely high calorie deficit! oh well as SC would say...
    "what ever works for you! "

That is the dumbest statement I have heard. What you are saying basically is: CARDIO HAS NO HEALTH BENEFITS. DO IT TO LOSE FAT AND THAT IS IT. IF YOU ARE NOT CUTTING THEN DO NOT DO IT AS IT IS POINTLESS.

Furthermore if you think that a 100 cal shake is going to suddenly make a 7-800 cal cardio session pointless, then....what ever works for you

CAPS........

Quote Originally Posted by FCRS
    Everybody's body is different, but....

i don't like doing cardio on an empty stomach... you will lose weight quickly, but a lot of it will be muscle.

NO IT WON'T, NOT IF DONE IN THE CORRECT MANNER AND IF EATING SUPPORTS ALL OF ONE'S GOALS. MYSELF AND ALL OF MY 100'S/1000'S OF CLIENTS ARE A TESTAMENT TO THIS.

In the morning your body will be in a catabolic state due to high levels of cortisol (this will probably be somewhat easier if you're on cycle at the time, as juice surpreses cortisol), and if you have nothing in your stomach, your body will not burn fat, it will prefer to burn muscle.

LOL, OKAY..........

I know most people probably disagree on this, but think about it this way... If you're starving in a desert, will your body choose to burn fat or protein? It will choose protein first as that ensures your metabolism drops fast, and you will survive the longest. The same mechanism is at work when you do cardio on an empty stomach.

NO ONE IS IN A DESERT W/NO FOOD, MANY EAT 6-8 TIMES A DAY. THE SITUATIONAL COMPARISON DOES NOT WORK.

Take 30 grams of oats, and/or some sugarfree whey. A little bit of carbs and protein will not hurt you, it will increase your metablism as the food is being digested, and it is out of your system inthe first 20 min of cardio anyway, at which point your body is free to burn fat.

NOPE, OATS WILL PROVIDE ENERGY FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME, HENCE THEM BEING A "SLOW BURNING" CARB. NOT ONLY THAT, IT TAKES QUITE A WHILE FOR OATS (HOURS) TO BE TURNED INTO BLOOD GLUCOSE FOR ENERGY.
    SO WHILE YOU ARE DOING CARDIO, OATS ARE TURNED INTO GLUCOSE, AND ONE WILL USE THAT. FAR FROM IDEAL.

You will be able to work out at a higher intensity, won't loose muscle, and won't pass out during cardio (it happens).
    NEVER HAPPENS TO ME, NOR ALL THOSE I ASSIST, BUT TO EACH HIS OWN AS YOU SAID.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    That is the dumbest statement I have heard. What you are saying basically is: CARDIO HAS NO HEALTH BENEFITS. DO IT TO LOSE FAT AND THAT IS IT. IF YOU ARE NOT CUTTING THEN DO NOT DO IT AS IT IS POINTLESS.

Furthermore if you think that a 100 cal shake is going to suddenly make a 7-800 cal cardio session pointless, then....what ever works for you
    lol cardio is done in morning to induce lipolysis not calorie expenditure, when an energy source in consumed pre cardio you are negating this affect. Making the session rather pointless other than excercising your heart which is FINE if but that will happen if you do cardio on an empty stomache as well. So...why would you wanna just excercise your heart when you can induce fatburning that will help you get lean? i dont know maybe someone w/ greater knowledge on this matter can answer that for i am stumped...

Firstly, it is very possible for someone to do cardio for health benefits - circulation improvement, muscle recovery, cardiovascular fitness, heart-conditioning etc.

And secondly, even when done for fat loss, the simple equation comes into play once again of cals in vs cals out. Are you saying that the 100 cals taken in 45-60 minutes before the cardio will make the 800 cals expended suddenly 'negated'?

Like I said originally and will say again - it depends on the person. Some can easily get away with getting up on an empty tank, doing an hour of med-hi HR cardio without much muscle loss. Some NEED to take in something to prevent excess catabolism. Of course the nutrition during the rest of the day is vital, but at that particular moment the way the body reacts can differ substantially across individuals.

I know many people who tried fasted cardio, lost too much muscle, added a small shake precardio and found a perfect balance between fat loss and muscle preservation. That does NOT mean that all of a sudden the rest of their diets are totally messed up, causing the muscle loss when cardio was done fasted. Simply means their body responded differently.

welp i was proved wrong once again ok im done here.

You weren't proved wrong at all brutha.

Let's just let everyone do as they wish and call it a day on this subject.

No one will get anywhere going back/forth.

I could attempt to divulge further, but I seriously don't have the energy to waste on deaf ears.

~SC~

Thread Information