dr.shred is offline Senior Member

dextrose after strength training?

when you do strength training say for instance i am doing 7 sets of 4 in my first workout maybe 2-3 lifts for ex. squat and sld do you break down glycogen in this process with 3 min rest between sets? The purpose of taking dextrose is to replenish glycogen stores after an intense lifting session. I was wondering if it was needed after strength training. I know after hypertrophy training it would be, but after strength with a lot of rest between sets doesnt seem like your breaking down glycogen as much?

no replies...big suprise

Aboot is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    I know after hypertrophy training it would be, but after strength with a lot of rest between sets doesnt seem like your breaking down glycogen as much?

Yes, during strength training your muscles primary source of fuel is still muscle glycogen so you should still have your PWO with dextrose in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aboot
    Yes, during strength training your muscles primary source of fuel is still muscle glycogen so you should still have your PWO with dextrose in it.
    but are you really breaking down glycogen with 3 minutes rest and doing two lifts like a squat and stiff leg deadlift?

Aboot is offline Banned
    Absolutely. If your muscles are working hard and need energy to perform their functions, they are indeed burning glycogen. The rest periods don't really matter, it is the amount of effort that you are putting forth that does.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Yes, your total volume is enough to utilize glycogen, (ex: 7 sets of 4 reps).

what about the amounts. Should I use less dex on first workout and more on the second?

what about a 1:1 ratio after the first lift and a 2:1 after the second lift?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I hate training twice a day but at times I must.... so when I do I'd still follow the 2:1 ratio. At times I will cut back my carbs during other meals to make up for it, but than again it all depends on you and how you respond to working out twice a day... some might find the need to increase calories compared to those working out only once a day.... sorry... tired as hell and rammbling. I'll get back to ya in the morning.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    I hate training twice a day but at times I must.... so when I do I'd still follow the 2:1 ratio. At times I will cut back my carbs during other meals to make up for it, but than again it all depends on you and how you respond to working out twice a day... some might find the need to increase calories compared to those working out only once a day.... sorry... tired as hell and rammbling. I'll get back to ya in the morning.
    This SHOULD be a new thread, but maybe someone can answe me in this one: Is it a good idea to take dextrose after intense cardio. Seems like that would cause muscle breakdown too, right?

thanks bro I appreciate it.

bump

i think your missing the point of my question. I am asking that after strength training ie high sets low reps 3 min rest doing two major lifts does this require dex/pro shake after? I think you would be more likely to break down glyogen from hypertrophy training 12-15 reps lower rest more variety (i know i feel like i'm more worn out after that compared to my strength training)

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    I read this site yesterday which just so happened has the info you're after - http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...genic-diet.htm

Go about half way down the page and its all there. Its good to read it all like its pretty informative!

Hope this helps

hmm interesting....so what i gather is that dex would not be needed after the strength training when doing weights around 70% of my max.

You still need it, you are utilizing anaerobic glycolysis 100%!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you need it... plain and simple. Whether strength training or going higher reps your body is using up glycogen stores and they need to be replenished.

What do you guys think for amounts tho. I was thinking something like 40dex/20p after first lift, and 80/40 after second?

i gotta say this board is getting pretty useless for advice. No wonder why people keep pming me saying their threads are getting blown off.

a 40/20 split could work for your first lift....... as for this board being useless for information... well excuse the hell out of me. We gotta sleep sometime ya know, not to mention we have lives off the board to. So thanks for the smartazz remark.... really makes me wanna spend all my time to help ya now.

dont worry ill be sure to not post anymore threads on here. Last couple months i get **** for replies and its not like I have 100000000 questions. I ask maybe 1-2 questions a month if that.

You've got answers. . .
    Thread #3 says YES
    Thread #5 says YES
    Thread #6 says YES
    Thread #9 says YES
    Thread #16 says YES
    Thread #17 says YES
    What more do you want?

I asked a **** load of times what you guys thought for amounts.

diesel21 is offline Member
    not sure,, i think it does.. thats why most of us do the dex.... i would think so

Thread Information